February 22, 2018, 04:53:35 PM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 25750 times)

Online CameronJohnston

Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #270 on: February 08, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »
I guess I could update the thread under Upcoming Conventions & Book Releases with all the marketing, blog posts at various sites, interviews etc that are happening in the lead up to the book launch if that's a thing people here are interested in and would find it educational to see how the whole marketing experience goes for a new author?

That keeps this thread free to celebrate all the other awesome stuff going on, and the frustrating near-misses and commiseration over rejections and everything else.

Preorders help an author more than you think!
http://www.cameronjohnston.net

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #271 on: February 08, 2018, 11:30:27 AM »

Haha in my case i think I have only far-misses as far as my fiction is concerned.

Non-fiction on the other hand, I've constantly got people asking me to write things-- I've got a book chapter coming out the interconnection between enviro issues, poverty and civil war for an Enviro studies book, and I just got a request to write a review of a book on mining.  I get people asking me to write more than I can keep up with.

If only someone had even a remote interest in my fiction!!!!

Online CameronJohnston

« Reply #272 on: February 08, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »
You are in demand! Maybe turn your hand to writing a fictional non-fiction book? The crossover that everybody has been needing without knowing!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 08, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
@CameronJohnston : just pre-ordered on Amazon
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online CameronJohnston

« Reply #274 on: February 08, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »
@CameronJohnston : just pre-ordered on Amazon

Thanks so much Jmack! That's wonderful of you. It's very humbling just how great and supportive people are being. Writing is often said to be a lonely, solitary pursuit, but I've never found that to be true :)

Incidentally, Brian McClellan has a great post on why pre-orders matter - something I've only just found out myself. It makes for interesting reading on the business side of trade publishing.
http://www.brianmcclellan.com/blog/the-importance-of-pre-orders

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #275 on: February 12, 2018, 11:04:56 PM »
I don't post here much but this is absolutely my favourite forum thread on the internet. Absolutely wonderful to see all your successes!

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #276 on: February 13, 2018, 01:04:29 AM »
So while it's not a huge thing, there was a short story competition at Farpoint this weekend, which I attended as an author guest. I submitted a story along with twelve other authors, with all thirteen to be voted on by the con staff and con attendees. To my shock and surprise, my story won first place. Still kind of giddy about that.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #277 on: February 13, 2018, 02:49:55 AM »
I'm thinking I'm going to do something different with the editing process for the final two books of my World in Chains series. I feel like I need to do at least a little editing of both books (rather than just the third book) before releasing the third book. I had a lot of crazy things happen in the fourth book, and I want to make sure I keep everything consistent.

I also need to get back to writing the final book of my trilogy The God War's Chosen. It's been coming in fits and starts, and I need to find more consistency. Maybe once I have a normal 9 to 5 job and no school to worry about, I'll be able to carve out a more consistent writing schedule.

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #278 on: February 13, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »
So while it's not a huge thing, there was a short story competition at Farpoint this weekend, which I attended as an author guest. I submitted a story along with twelve other authors, with all thirteen to be voted on by the con staff and con attendees. To my shock and surprise, my story won first place. Still kind of giddy about that.
Saw this on Twitter and was waiting for you to post here - Congratulations again! Looked like a very nice trophy to boot!

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 14, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »

Congrats, Teb!

Online CameronJohnston

« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2018, 01:54:28 PM »
Awesome news, well done! :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2018, 08:17:27 AM »

At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2018, 08:19:08 AM »
Great job!!!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2018, 10:25:10 AM »
@tebakutis: Can we read the winning story? Pretty please? ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2018, 11:15:13 PM »
@tebakutis: Can we read the winning story? Pretty please? ;D

It's actually the story I asked a few people to critique in the Writer's Group forum (Splitting Arrows) with some minor tweaks from those folks and my writer's group! But yeah, I don't see why I couldn't repost it. Will do so soon!