February 23, 2018, 12:39:26 PM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 25801 times)

Offline SugoiMe

Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #255 on: January 25, 2018, 02:54:44 AM »
Epic cover for an epic fantasy. It's beautiful, really, sets the tone of your book without even having to read the blurb (I read the blurb after).
"A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit." -- Richard Bach

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #256 on: January 26, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
Thanks, all, I'm very happy with it!
I had a surprising amount of input into the cover artwork, and you don't get that with most publishers. I'm quite blown away by Angry Robot's efforts at involving me in the whole process and taking my thoughts on board, right from the ideas stage, through rough sketches and onto the final artwork. It was a really interesting process to go through.

Preorders help an author more than you think!
http://www.cameronjohnston.net

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #257 on: January 26, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
I'm quite blown away by Angry Robot's efforts at involving me in the whole process and taking my thoughts on board, right from the ideas stage, through rough sketches and onto the final artwork.

It's almost as if they believe that fully capturing the author's mood, character, and plot ideas - and all of their nuances and undertones - might lead to a better product vs. a corporate committee :)  So glad you're feeling confident moving forward.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #258 on: January 29, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »
The cover looks superb, Cameron.

I look forward to reading it. :)

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #259 on: February 07, 2018, 08:15:49 AM »
I finally got word from Albedo One (the publication that runs the competition I placed third in). Apparently, the guy responsible had had problems with illness in the family, but he informed me that things were now back on track, and asked me for my PayPal so he could send me my prize money! It'll be months yet before I'm actually published, but I'm much relieved to find out it's still happening.

So, woo!
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #260 on: February 07, 2018, 10:09:14 AM »
I finally got word from Albedo One (the publication that runs the competition I placed third in). Apparently, the guy responsible had had problems with illness in the family, but he informed me that things were now back on track, and asked me for my PayPal so he could send me my prize money! It'll be months yet before I'm actually published, but I'm much relieved to find out it's still happening.

So, woo!
Hurrah! Glad to hear they got back to you and it's all moving again.

Online Magnus Hedén

• Builder
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #261 on: February 07, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »
Thanks! It makes me a realise how much I've hung myself up on this one thing (hint: too much). But yeah, it's my first step into the world of "real writers", so it's a pretty big deal to me. I just need to relax and GET BACK TO WRITING MORE STUFF LIKE THAT. Ahem.

Move along.  8)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:02:52 AM by Magnus Hedén »

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #262 on: February 07, 2018, 06:42:24 PM »
Great stuff. :)

Online Magnus Hedén

• Builder
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #263 on: February 07, 2018, 08:48:23 PM »
Thanks, all, I'm very happy with it!
I had a surprising amount of input into the cover artwork, and you don't get that with most publishers. I'm quite blown away by Angry Robot's efforts at involving me in the whole process and taking my thoughts on board, right from the ideas stage, through rough sketches and onto the final artwork. It was a really interesting process to go through.

Sounds awesome. I'm guessing publishers that aren't huge see the value in giving writers more input. That's one of the big advantages of self-publishing; controlling all the aspects of your book and PR. I'm guessing the more successful self-publishers we see, the more publishing houses will adapt. I think it's quite inevitable that they will have to adapt.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2018, 01:47:24 AM »
@CameronJohnston and @Magnus Hedén  Really pleased to see good news in this thread after long hard climbs and disappointments. ;D 

You do realise we are all enjoying your excitement and glory vicariously here? Please keep us informed of any more publicity steps or links and ways we can spread the word. ;D
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2018, 05:52:51 AM »
Nice! So happy for both you guys.

Online ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #266 on: February 08, 2018, 08:03:02 AM »
You do realise we are all enjoying your excitement and glory vicariously here?
This!
I feel really proud of you and can brag I "know" you and the other published authors in the forum, like Eli and tebakutis ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:04:35 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #267 on: February 08, 2018, 09:01:18 AM »
Sounds awesome. I'm guessing publishers that aren't huge see the value in giving writers more input. That's one of the big advantages of self-publishing; controlling all the aspects of your book and PR. I'm guessing the more successful self-publishers we see, the more publishing houses will adapt. I think it's quite inevitable that they will have to adapt.

I'm not so sure. At the end of the day it's the publisher's money gambled on the book's success so they will most certainly do their best to give it a good cover, and big publishers hire professionals in art and marketing to do all of that - many authors have atrocious artistic tastes when it comes to cover designing. Fortunately I think mine coincided perfectly with Angry Robots on this one :)

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2018, 09:04:00 AM »
@CameronJohnston and @Magnus Hedén  Really pleased to see good news in this thread after long hard climbs and disappointments. ;D 

You do realise we are all enjoying your excitement and glory vicariously here? Please keep us informed of any more publicity steps or links and ways we can spread the word. ;D

Glad to hear it!  :) But there will be so many blog posts, interviews and bit and pieces coming up in the lead up to June that I couldn't possibly post every little bit here - I want to see what everybody else is up to here!  I'll mostly be posting those things on my website and Twitter.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #269 on: February 08, 2018, 10:28:25 AM »

Glad to hear it!  :) But there will be so many blog posts, interviews and bit and pieces coming up in the lead up to June that I couldn't possibly post every little bit here - I want to see what everybody else is up to here!  I'll mostly be posting those things on my website and Twitter.

What if you made a running list in a single post you keep updating as a reference so we could look it up as a reference?  I love reading interviews with people I know (virtually), and I for one would find it educational to see how the whole marketing experience goes for new authors. Or will that all be consolidated on your website?