October 24, 2017, 10:38:58 AM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 20937 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Soulfinder
  • Scifi. Fantasy. Related shenanigans.
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #180 on: July 27, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »
So. My US publisher decided, in the very end, not to pick up my epic fantasy pitch as they don't want me to rebrand as a fantasy author and want to keep me as a scifi author. They also seemed to think there were too many vikings (or that the viking influences were too obvious).

In better news, not only was my Black Library short accepted after further rewrites, but they've now given me another one to do! I can officially count myself as a Black Library freelancer!

(the combination of these things, plus the need to do edits for the third Keiko novel, is why I haven't been around for a couple of months)
I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never understanding why.

http://mikebrooks.co.uk

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #181 on: July 28, 2017, 04:21:48 AM »
So. My US publisher decided, in the very end, not to pick up my epic fantasy pitch as they don't want me to rebrand as a fantasy author and want to keep me as a scifi author. They also seemed to think there were too many vikings (or that the viking influences were too obvious).

In better news, not only was my Black Library short accepted after further rewrites, but they've now given me another one to do! I can officially count myself as a Black Library freelancer!

(the combination of these things, plus the need to do edits for the third Keiko novel, is why I haven't been around for a couple of months)
Maybe publish it under a pseudonym? A little like Daniel Abraham does. Publishes epic fantasy under that name, urban fantasy as MLN Hanover and the SF he co writes with Ty Franck as James SA Corey. Seanan McGuire publishes urban fantasy under her name, but writes zombie fiction under the name of Mira Grant with a different publisher.
Someone asked Sarah Monette why she published The Goblin Emperor under the name of Katherine Addison and she replied "because publishing is a deeply weird business"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Soulfinder
  • Scifi. Fantasy. Related shenanigans.
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #182 on: July 28, 2017, 07:40:20 PM »
Maybe publish it under a pseudonym?

That's something I considered, but it's a trade-off. If I approach publishers as Mike Brooks, I'm a known author with three scifi books to my name (plus now Black Library freelancing), so they'll know that I can plot and complete a novel and have experience of working with editors and taking feedback. If I approached them as someone else, I'd be starting from scratch in terms of my reputation. While I might get away from the SF label, I'd also lose everything else that gives me bonus points.

There's also the fact that while the general public might not know about some pseudonyms, odds are their publishers do. If I actually lied to a publisher about who I was I don't think that would lead to a great working relationship. And... end of the day, I've got a whacking great black mohawk. If I did any sort of publicity at all for a new series (which I'd probably be expected to), someone might well think I looked familiar...
I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never understanding why.

http://mikebrooks.co.uk

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2017, 02:18:27 AM »
Maybe publish it under a pseudonym?

That's something I considered, but it's a trade-off. If I approach publishers as Mike Brooks, I'm a known author with three scifi books to my name (plus now Black Library freelancing), so they'll know that I can plot and complete a novel and have experience of working with editors and taking feedback. If I approached them as someone else, I'd be starting from scratch in terms of my reputation. While I might get away from the SF label, I'd also lose everything else that gives me bonus points.

There's also the fact that while the general public might not know about some pseudonyms, odds are their publishers do. If I actually lied to a publisher about who I was I don't think that would lead to a great working relationship. And... end of the day, I've got a whacking great black mohawk. If I did any sort of publicity at all for a new series (which I'd probably be expected to), someone might well think I looked familiar...

I always understood it as you approach them under your real name, but you put your pseudonym in the synopsis byline and sample cover page. But I've got basically no experience as my first WIP is still being revised so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty common and usually it's just pitched as X writing under the name of Y. No deception involved.

I just got an acceptance email for a short story I sent to Kzine. Feels pretty good as it's been ages since my last acceptance. Lots of lovely rejection emails though...

Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://cameronjohnston.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
Hey! Good for you!
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty common and usually it's just pitched as X writing under the name of Y. No deception involved.

I just got an acceptance email for a short story I sent to Kzine. Feels pretty good as it's been ages since my last acceptance. Lots of lovely rejection emails though...

Congrats man! Always happy to hear about people making a sale. :)

In non-sale news, here's an update from me. After looking at what I want out of my writing career and my (largely positive) experience with indie publishing my fantasy series, I've decided to move full steam ahead as an independent on at least my next two books. So, those will be coming out this year and next year.

Some of the folks in the Fantasy-Faction writing group may recall critiquing the first few chapters of my cyberpunk police procedural, Loose Circuit. That's the book that made it through Angry Robot's open submission process, and which they considered for almost a year before finally passing. Their feedback was basically "We like this, but it's more a cyberpunk police procedural than a character-driven SF book" ... which, to be honest, I completely agree with. So at least I know an editor thought it was solid, and it is what I set out to write.

Anyway, it's proven a hard sale due to the serial nature of its storytelling and the length, so I've decided I am going to do exactly what I set out to do when I started writing it, and publish it online (as a free serial) over about four months to build up interest for my other work. So, the first part of Episode 1 will be premiering on October 2 of this year. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback, and you can't argue with "free" so I'm hoping it'll raise some more interest in my other work.

I'm also collecting 8 of my 10 or so published short stories into an anthology collection (the rights have all reverted to me) and adding a few unpublished stories as well (typically stories that have received multiple "final round" rejections). That will likely be out before the end of the year, though I'm not sure exactly when.

Finally, I'm going to publish my "grimsnark" Star Wars rip-off, Supremacy's Shadow, on February 9, 2018, during Farpoint's book launch party. That's the book that has gotten positive feedback from like five publishing houses and several agents (all of whom, of course, then passed :p) leaving me largely bereft of traditional publishing markets to query. At the least, I've done my due diligence on traditional channels.

So, my current idea is to publish Supremacy's Shadow around the time Episode 9 of Loose Circuit completes (there are 10 episodes) with the reasoning that "If you like my free sci-fi work, why not try my new sci-fi book?" I've also been lucky enough to get some pro authors I know offer to give me some book jacket quotes, so I hope that will at least drive some initial interest. So, I'm going all in as an indie for the immediate future, though I plan to continue to submit future books to traditional press.

For now, at least, it's exciting to know the books I've been working on for the past few years (or longer) will be out there, for good or ill.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »

Congrats @CameronJohnston !

Some of the folks in the Fantasy-Faction writing group may recall critiquing the first few chapters of my cyberpunk police procedural, Loose Circuit. That's the book that made it through Angry Robot's open submission process, and which they considered for almost a year before finally passing. Their feedback was basically "We like this, but it's more a cyberpunk police procedural than a character-driven SF book" ... which, to be honest, I completely agree with. So at least I know an editor thought it was solid, and it is what I set out to write.

Anyway, it's proven a hard sale due to the serial nature of its storytelling and the length, so I've decided I am going to do exactly what I set out to do when I started writing it, and publish it online (as a free serial) over about four months to build up interest for my other work. So, the first part of Episode 1 will be premiering on October 2 of this year. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback, and you can't argue with "free" so I'm hoping it'll raise some more interest in my other work.

Having read some of it, I can confirm that Loose Circuit is really really really damn good.  I mean really good.

I wish there was like the US literary equivalent of Young Jump you could release it in or something.

Offline Stew Hotston

« Reply #188 on: August 07, 2017, 10:37:47 PM »
I'm a noob but I'm pleased to announce I've got a story in Rebellion's new Not So anthology http://www.thebookseller.com/news/abaddon-books-publish-diverse-anthology-written-reaction-rudyard-kipling-603401 although I'm not listed in the authors as it was put out before I said yes!

It marks a step up as the biggest firm I've had a short story published by so far but I've also just about finished my second novel for a trilogy I sold to Tickety Boo Press of which the first is coming out Q4/Q1 2017/18.

I love reading about others' adventures so will keep coming back to this page I'm sure

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »
That's really exciting news tebakutis! I'll look forward to those coming out, and it's certainly thinking ahead to have another complete when your free fiction lauches. Here's hoping it goes really well :)

Hi Stew Hotston! Welcome, hope you find the forum fun and useful. That's a great anthology to be in, well done!

I've just sold a reprint to the Far Fetched Fables podcast! It's been a good week for me.

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »
@CameronJohnston Congratulations on the publication acceptances! I do hope that Lady Luck will often smile upon my works of writings too.  :D
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »
Having read some of it, I can confirm that Loose Circuit is really really really damn good.  I mean really good.

Meant to respond to this earlier, but honestly, getting feedback like that is *far* better than selling a book. :)

I hope people enjoy the story, and I've worked hard on it, but ultimately, I'm just glad it's out there.

I've just sold a reprint to the Far Fetched Fables podcast! It's been a good week for me.

That's awesome!
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2017, 09:22:32 PM »
Just got 6 novel rejections in from my agent. Oof. Still, as rejections go they were pretty complimentary, especially from Gollancz.
Needless to say, I deserve a beer or two today.
Onwards!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2017, 11:28:12 PM »
Just got 6 novel rejections in from my agent. Oof. Still, as rejections go they were pretty complimentary, especially from Gollancz.
Onwards!

My agent did that too - reported back to me periodically, so they'd all come together in a slug. On the one hand, I guess getting it all over with in one go is better than being punched six times, but it's a big hit all at once!

Beer definitely called for, but do take heart at the complimentary nature. This is a tough business, but you're clearly not far off the mark.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2017, 06:02:25 AM »
Onwards!

Solidarity!

One of my friends had the same experience. Got her agent, got her book rejected by a number of publishers. It actually got the point where the agent asked her if she had anything else. Super bummed. Then, finally, recently, a publisher picked it up. Her book comes out in 2018. So ... fingers crossed!