October 24, 2017, 10:39:09 AM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 20938 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2017, 04:39:36 PM »
Working on producing audiobooks sounds interesting. I haven't heard of many quality self-published audio books being made and your process is well worth a blog post somewhere.

As for mine, I just heard back that a senior editor is enjoying it and has shared it with their colleagues for comment. *fingers crossed*
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://cameronjohnston.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »
Yesterday I got a lovely e-mail from the editor of the HATH NO FURY anthology editor that of the 300+ submissions they received for the few open slots in the Kickstarter, my story was in the top 5. I just got the notice yesterday that it hadn't made the cut, but the editor was very nice about it and apologized for taking so long to respond (which is totally understandable when you have that many stories!)

So, my decidedly impressive streak of almost succeeding, and then not doing so at the very last moment, continues unabated! Hooray... :p
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2017, 03:34:31 PM »
Hey that's great! Congratulations on making the top of 300! (Too bad you can't capitalize numbers >:( )
There is some solace in your situation. You are delivering quality material that people appreciate and consider, and that's no easy thing. And you're doing it consistently - so it isn't luck or coincidence. That's talent talking.
Keep on keepin' on my friend. Your time is coming.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »
That's very true. You've been so close quite a few times so you are doing something right. Of course, that's frustrating in a whole different way.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
Second and third what the others said!
It's just that little thing that maybe if they had another person evaluating your stories, they'd get through.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »
Always possible that yours was slightly more similar in plot/theme/character to one already accepted so they opted for one a little more different and it had nothing to do with actual quality.
Anthologies are tricky like that.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:15:31 PM by CameronJohnston »

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2017, 07:52:57 PM »
Congratulations! I'd say, in all honesty, that it was more a subjective taste on their part more than anything. At that small statistical margin, I'm sure your's was just as fantastic as the winner! Kudos!
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2017, 04:33:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, folks. :) Doing the "runner up" thing has become so common the last few years that it almost feels like a running gag to me. I was even kind of hoping I'd be on the short list for the James White Award (my story was long listed) just so I could congratulate the eventual winner and add *almost* winning that to my resume. It is a bit frustrating, but also encouraging to know I'm on the right track, and I was very pleased when Cam actually *did* make the short list. Doing F-F proud!

Random updates!

- A large sample of F-F folks were kind enough to critique two possible openings for my next novel as to which was stronger. Feedback was split almost precisely 50/50, which was ... interesting. I've done a final rewrite (the last rewrite!) based on what people liked and some insightful comments from my wife.

- I am *this* close to getting some of the best looking cover art I have ever seen. I have a verbal agreement with the artist and we seem to be on the same page regarding everything ... I'm just waiting for the final step and signed contract before I can truly cheer. Once that happens, man, I'll be stoked.

EDIT: I got the cover art.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 06:52:32 AM by tebakutis »
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2017, 05:36:13 PM »
Fantastic work, all. The successes will come!

My recent adventures in writing have been rather lacking. I haven't been doing any writing or adventuring. Humph! Time to do something about that.

Offline Quill

« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:09 AM »
My book reached the semifinals in its category in the SPFBO3 :) Meaning, out of the 30 books assigned to my blogger, 20 were disqualified and 10 chosen for full-length review to determine the eventual finalist, and my book was among the 10. I don't know the odds for making the finals (well, I guess it's 10% speaking purely mathematically), but at least I can write "SPFBO3 semifinalist" on the resume now.
The Eagle's Flight - Free ebook for fantasy fans at www.annalsofadal.net

Latest blog post - 7 Ways to Help Indie Authors: www.annalsofadal.net/blog

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2017, 02:06:18 AM »
My book reached the semifinals in its category in the SPFBO3 :) Meaning, out of the 30 books assigned to my blogger, 20 were disqualified and 10 chosen for full-length review to determine the eventual finalist, and my book was among the 10. I don't know the odds for making the finals (well, I guess it's 10% speaking purely mathematically), but at least I can write "SPFBO3 semifinalist" on the resume now.

AWESOME! I'm rooting for you :)

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2017, 06:28:14 AM »

You can indeed add that! Well done! Fingers.crossed you make the final cut.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Soulfinder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2017, 08:51:50 AM »
So in November(!), I submitted a short story to the Aeon awards, run by Albedo One (Irish sci-fi/fantasy magazine). The only thing I knew was the best story I had written (still is, damnit), but had literally zero expectations. I was just happy that I had hit the goal of submitting something.

In April (the announcement was three months late), I found out that I had made the first of two short lists (along with 51 other stories). I was thrilled, of course; these people had no reason to like my story for anything but what it was (the submissions are anonymous to the judges). It was the first time I got outside confirmation that I was doing something right.

And now, the final shortlist has been announced (also three months late), and my story is on it.

The first few days, I became acquainted with imposter syndrome. I checked the announcement daily because I think they may have made a mistake and there would be an update saying my story had been taken off it. For real, that's what I thought would happen.  :D

Now, I just feel all wonky because I know it will be months before they announce winners (last year they were announced in November). So I have to put it aside, but how can I?  :o

Anyway, needed to rant a bit somewhere. Back to work!
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »
Fingers crossed for you, Quill!!!

And Magnus, rant away! No advice for you, but we're all here for you :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2017, 12:40:14 PM »
Good news Quill, we love having one of FF doing well in SPFBO, all good luck, we'll be checking the updates. 😊
Magnus it's frustrating for sure to wait, but good news after all😀 fingers crossed for you as well.
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders