November 18, 2017, 12:40:52 AM

Author Topic: RPG: Rules, Questions, & Discussion  (Read 48433 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
Re: RPG: Rules, Questions, & Discussion
« Reply #330 on: May 25, 2015, 06:46:32 PM »
Hi I join in later been a bit busy today
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #331 on: May 26, 2015, 04:50:15 AM »
Take your time, Eclipse. Wouldn't want to spoil your birthday!

Ahem, place is shaping up nicely. Seems now we've got a crazy Jarl, a double agent, a master thief, some timid shadow master, a cat, a draconic from another dimension, and a blabbering cook. Also have a gunslinger, a wizard-for-hire/prophetess, and a crazy old pirate.

Still taking applications for anybody from Scarlet's ring to infiltrate the Temple of Atku, possibly that missing heir(ess), any colorful person waltzing by with perhaps a history, a bard for Jmack, and considering Oggy's probably the fighter (I know she wouldn't admit it), that might be scratched off the list. Unless a drunken Nord wants to make an entrance.  ;D

6 v 3 so far. I like the odds.

Recruitment's to go till Saturday I think. Then we set off for that tower Scarlet mentioned. I guess Jmack is sailing for greener pastures, but then, that's his plot line. (What? What plot?!)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:52:12 AM by Doctor Chill »
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 26, 2015, 05:05:30 AM »
Yes, I'm in and having a good time already, but only fight if provoked so you still need a warrior  ;D
Like Bea I'm trying hard not to Like because it would be all the time, but had to give Nora one for her character. ;D
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #333 on: May 26, 2015, 05:08:16 AM »
It is a pretty great character, isn't it? I'm curious to see where she takes it, and Jmack's team.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #334 on: May 27, 2015, 06:56:18 PM »
Hi, I wanted to reply to Rukaio, but the story thread wasn't appropriate - this comment:
(Ultament, no offense, but can you not automatically assume the rest of the group is willing to go along with your plan? Because it makes it slightly awkward to justify when I really don't agree.)

You're falling into a begginers' problem (I suffered the same last year, now I know better, hehe), thinking that things have to make sense and be logical.

The rules state that
2) The story gets moved along by posts. This means that if Person 1 posts something, and it involves Person 2's character, that actually happens to that character. If I say that Chill is making squirrel dumplings with me while there's a huge naval battle going on (yes, this was a thing that happened), then Chill is making squirrel dumplings with me. This is especially helpful when someone doesn't post for a few days - their character can stay in the story through other people's posts.

So even if you don't really like the direction that the previous posts have taken (gawd knows that happened to me a lot last year ;D), you still have to go along with the flow.

I hope you don't mind these comments, I know I suffered a bit because of it, and might even have derailed the story, so I'd hate to see others making the same mistakes - learn from experience :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 27, 2015, 07:34:26 PM »
Hi, I wanted to reply to Rukaio, but the story thread wasn't appropriate - this comment:
(Ultament, no offense, but can you not automatically assume the rest of the group is willing to go along with your plan? Because it makes it slightly awkward to justify when I really don't agree.)

You're falling into a begginers' problem (I suffered the same last year, now I know better, hehe), thinking that things have to make sense and be logical.

The rules state that
2) The story gets moved along by posts. This means that if Person 1 posts something, and it involves Person 2's character, that actually happens to that character. If I say that Chill is making squirrel dumplings with me while there's a huge naval battle going on (yes, this was a thing that happened), then Chill is making squirrel dumplings with me. This is especially helpful when someone doesn't post for a few days - their character can stay in the story through other people's posts.

So even if you don't really like the direction that the previous posts have taken (gawd knows that happened to me a lot last year ;D), you still have to go along with the flow.

I hope you don't mind these comments, I know I suffered a bit because of it, and might even have derailed the story, so I'd hate to see others making the same mistakes - learn from experience :)
I should note, I didn't say he had to not automatically assume etc, etc. I was just asking if he could refrain from it since it made things fairly awkward when I responded. I know the rules say we can do anything with each others characters, but that doesn't mean we can't ask if something's bothering us. Obviously, it's up to ultiment as to whether he listens or not, but I just wanted to make it clear that that was bothering me.

Specifically, I should note, it wasn't so much the character agreeing that made things awkward for me, but more that you didn't go the full way and take us down the plughole entirely. You ended it at a spot which implied the next step was discussion but, since you already made both character agree with said plan, there's nothing really to discuss. The only real big next step would be to go down the plughole which is what makes it awkward for the people who disagree with said plan. It would've been best either to leave it open as to what other characters think of the plan (like I just did with Kassin scouting) or just go all the way with it.

I admit I do tend to get fairly fussy and overbearing about these things though and this insanely free-tempo stuff may not be my best fit. Ultiment is still obviously free to do whatever he wants and to ignore me entirely. I just wanted to say my bit.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #336 on: May 27, 2015, 08:11:46 PM »
I stopped it where I did because I figured someone else had a better vision of what was down the hole then I did. I didn't want to accidentally ruin anything. I apologize if it made it a bit uncomfortable. Plus, looking back, the scouting thing was a brilliant idea on your part. So it all worked out. Or will work out. Hopefully.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #337 on: May 27, 2015, 09:00:40 PM »
Oh :-[ did I mess up again? :-\
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 27, 2015, 09:23:45 PM »
No worries, anyone!

And it's all crazy fun, isn't it?
I never thought of the lake until someone else triggered it.
Then I had no idea where the treasure room was relative to the lake, but that fixed itself.
I wanted Raptori involved, so the plug came about.
I thought there'd a totally bizarre case of ending up in an upside down parallel universe version of the castle, but now I'm going to figure out what to do about the latest posts... if I even get there in time! (Busy, busy work day).

Hoot-and-a-half folks! Hoot-and-a-half.

And SB, I think here at the start you're helping in exactly the right way.
And RA and UK, keep it going!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 27, 2015, 10:20:02 PM »
No worries, anyone!

Then I had no idea where the treasure room was relative to the lake, but that fixed itself.
I thought there'd a totally bizarre case of ending up in an upside down parallel universe version of the castle, but now I'm going to figure out what to do about the latest posts... if I even get there in time! (Busy, busy work day).

Yes to all what Jmack said. Even to the hoot-and-a-half part, which I had to look up (and I still don't fully know the meaning of).  ;D   It's "fun", right?

Of course, if something is bothering one or some of us, we can talk about it. That way we can solve things and everybody can keep having fun with the RPG.

This method of role-playing is so wacky and unpredictable (and fun) that it, in my opinion, can't really follow any kind of logic or even rules. And I think that a big part of its charm comes from trying to bail out our own characters from situations (and even mindsets?) the other players get them in. Does that make sense?
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 27, 2015, 11:27:28 PM »
No worries, anyone!

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything. Discovery writing just doesn't work for me...  :(
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 06, 2015, 11:23:42 AM »
Atku has been changing titles. He tries to attack us from within!

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #342 on: July 06, 2015, 12:15:54 PM »
Well, he did warn us ;D

But don't worry, I've got confirmation that we'll get a brand new title once Aktu is defeated :D

Offline Venandiaer

« Reply #343 on: April 28, 2017, 06:06:29 AM »
Wondering if this RPG thing will ever be revived, cause it looks kind of interesting.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #344 on: April 28, 2017, 03:48:26 PM »
It was super fun. I would love to do another one, if people had time.