January 20, 2018, 10:57:12 AM

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Musings about Books  (Read 145790 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Musings about Books
« Reply #1245 on: December 11, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »
You might guess that I’m a bit fond of doing an eclipse but did you know I’m in the top 10 of topic starters?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1246 on: December 11, 2017, 09:13:17 PM »
You might guess that I’m a bit fond of doing an eclipse but did you know I’m in the top 10 of topic starters?
Yay! 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #1247 on: December 12, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »
Are there any fantasy books with a mc with an alter ego,  something like a superhero or the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or Dexter for example.

I quite like reading people who have to hide their personalites to protect their loved ones. I supposes there's a lot of women disguised as men tales about.
There aren't so many alter ego books outside of Superhero genre. I'd not generally count detectives or spies, though in real life there have been many spies, some with very deep stories, practically unbreakable fake identities. John LeCarre has one in the Smily series that isn't actually a spy .
I've not read that many "women disguised as men" stories. Sort of a real life "want to believe it" subject of sailors (some folk songs) and soldiers (Europe to China, e.g. Mulan), in real life some professional people. One person lived as a man in public of a US real life lesbian couple (there may be more than the one I read of).  Last one I read was the Monstrous Regiment (Terry Pratchett).

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: December 22, 2017, 03:20:09 PM »
Will the front page eventually  just have topics started by me. 😀
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1249 on: December 24, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »
Stop commenting on good books that I have to add to my TBR list, it's getting huge and stressing me out!!!! :'( :'( ::) ;D
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: December 24, 2017, 06:08:13 PM »
@Eclipse:
Do you know the Scarlet Pimpernel?
Old, old novel (19th century old) about fop-by-day rescuing nobles from the evil French Revolution.
That’s probably the oldest alter-ego book I know.

Meanwhile more modern, “Jackaroo” by Cynthia Voight has a wonderful take and twist on alter-ego Robin Hood types.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:09:51 PM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline RobertS

• Builder
  • Personal Text, isn't that a bit personal?
    • View Profile
    • robertdavidstrawn.com
« Reply #1251 on: December 25, 2017, 07:55:59 AM »
The story of a ruler disguising himself and visiting his subjects is fairly ancient. Shakespeare had quite a few identity switches and gender disguises.
Kent disguised himself as Caius in order to protect the king in King Lear.
I would rather look stupid today than be stupid tomorrow.

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #1252 on: December 25, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »
Also Shakespeare was using a MUCH older folk tale as a source. There are three main versions. Some end well and none as badly as Shakespeare.
The alter ego is in some old Chinese and Arab tales.
Odin as the Wanderer in Norse myth preserved in Iceland.
Very many old Celtic stories have alter egos, shape changing etc, many have parallels in some ancient Indus valley tales. Generally the Irish ones are older MSS than any Welsh or Norse MSS. Some may be from Oral traditions from before Roman attacks on Celtic culture (Gauls, Helvetii and others). The Insular Celts are the surviving remnant of a culture that extended to Turkey and Macedonia. Germanic Tribes were ruled by European (not Insular) Celts long ago. Today Celtic is synonymous with Irish. About 2500 years ago the Celts on the Island of Ireland were still in the Bronze Age while mainland European Celts were Iron Age and at one stage had superior shields and swords to Romans.

The oldest surviving "alter ego" and shape-changing stories seem related to the Bronze Age Insular Celts.

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1253 on: December 26, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »
Just picked this news up from Neil Gaiman for all you lucky people in UK. maybe Christmas not best time to  be listening but may be if you are a fan you can record. Have no more details, but keep a look-out. Have already raved about this book and recommended here in the past and it is very funny.

I spilled the beans. It's the @BBCRadio4 adaptation of ANANSI BOYS. First episode going out Christmas Day, and then all that week...
I'm afraid this isn't for me - not for the story, but the medium. I recorded episode 1 last night and started listening to it today, but I just couldn't concentrate and pay attention, exactly the same problem I have with audio books.
Oh well...

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: December 28, 2017, 11:41:34 PM »
Just picked this news up from Neil Gaiman for all you lucky people in UK. maybe Christmas not best time to  be listening but may be if you are a fan you can record. Have no more details, but keep a look-out. Have already raved about this book and recommended here in the past and it is very funny.

I spilled the beans. It's the @BBCRadio4 adaptation of ANANSI BOYS. First episode going out Christmas Day, and then all that week...
I'm afraid this isn't for me - not for the story, but the medium. I recorded episode 1 last night and started listening to it today, but I just couldn't concentrate and pay attention, exactly the same problem I have with audio books.
Oh well...

Just caught up and listened to first episode.. Can quite understand you didn’t enjoy it, ScarletBea, I was very disappointed. The dramatisation throws you in at a deep end, no clear delineation of different characters  and if you had not read the book it would be terribly confusing and disjointed.

To you and others please don’t be put off the book by this version, that is funny and entertaining and fully explains itself.
The proper audiobook, for those who like that medium, is narrated perfectly by Lenny Henry and is very good.

Apologising here for typos and missing  apostrophes. Am struggling one finger typing on ipad or old small phone and desperately missing my very dramatically sick laptop w mouse. It growls and grates loudly non stop when turned on so is clearly in death throes and not even exhibiting stiff upper lip. It is January sale time but a new laptop is a big outlay, so better get used to what I have. :'(
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1255 on: December 30, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
Apologising here for typos and missing  apostrophes. Am struggling one finger typing on ipad or old small phone and desperately missing my very dramatically sick laptop w mouse. It growls and grates loudly non stop when turned on so is clearly in death throes and not even exhibiting stiff upper lip. It is January sale time but a new laptop is a big outlay, so better get used to what I have. :'(
:'(
I hope it gets better. Are there any charities close by that sell old (but still good) laptops at a cheaper price?

Me, after all the talk of 'not getting more books until I read blah blah', I got one today - a guy brought a donation bag to the charity shop, I took a look, and he had the whole Justin Cronin trilogy there! I've only read The passage and The twelve, and was still wondering whether to get book 3 or not, but at 50p I thought, why not? It went straight from the donation bag to my bag, without even being sorted ;D

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: January 01, 2018, 09:16:08 PM »
Thief!

I always hear about amazing bargains and finds people get in charity shops and whenever I go in its a million copies of Dan Brown, Jilly Cooper and 50 Shades.

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1257 on: January 01, 2018, 09:40:22 PM »
Yay, @Mr.J!
I was no thief, I paid my 50p >:(
And yeah, you just need to be lucky, I guess - I work there every 2 weeks, so I'm always on the look out. The other day they had a Prince of Thorns!

Offline SevasTra82

« Reply #1258 on: January 03, 2018, 05:14:18 PM »
Thief!

I always hear about amazing bargains and finds people get in charity shops and whenever I go in its a million copies of Dan Brown, Jilly Cooper and 50 Shades.

This literally made me laugh out loud, because that is EXACTLY what every Charity shop I've been to in recent memory has.  I swear, it's 40 rows of Dan Brown and at least 6-7 sets of 50 Shades (or Twilight).

Why is Dan Brown so prevalent in thrift stores?  Its so strange.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: January 03, 2018, 10:19:46 PM »
Thief!

This literally made me laugh out loud, because that is EXACTLY what every Charity shop I've been to in recent memory has.  I swear, it's 40 rows of Dan Brown and at least 6-7 sets of 50 Shades (or Twilight).

Why is Dan Brown so prevalent in thrift stores?  Its so strange.

Surprised about Jilly Cooper does she still write books ? Or are they from older people downsizing and clearing out their books?  Jilly started off doing amusing chatty opinion columns in a weekend newspaper in the 7O's, tjough I have not read any of het books.

Dan Brown is standing joke in our family. The  2003 Christmas after Da Vinci Code came out my kids and partners were all here and only one tiny grandson, so all was calm and civilized.  When we unwrapped presents there were four copies among us and we confessed we had all also given to various in-law families as presents.  ;D

We started reading over the holiday but had to promise not to spoiler as were at different places, but finished fairly fast. One of family, not known as a book lover, never put it down except for meals.  It was very welcome hot weather entertainment and we had great discussions about how much Opus Dei secret societies could be true and cooked up good conspiracy theories between us. Fairly sure we all eventually contributed to our thrift shop Dan Brown collections. Good on Dan Brown, he must have been really happy with that huge second book success and seems he still has a following though I never read any more.

Just came across this if like me you enjoyed The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris, when the God of Mischief destroyed Asgard, this sequel sounds very funny.
Spoiler for Hiden:
THE TESTAMENT OF L0KI
Coming in Spring, 2018…

For a moment the Serpent and I were poised on Asgard’s parapet. I knew it was a dream, and yet it felt so pure, so powerful – surely beyond the power of any single human to build. And I was corporeal: I could smell the ocean, the ozone in the atmosphere, the flowers from Idun’s garden. I inspected my current Aspect. Not quite my own, but close enough – though the headgear was unfamiliar. But I was, if not myself, then at least as close as any dream could get. Who was responsible for this? Who could have dreamed this place into being? Once more, I looked at that glow in the sky. Tangled with runelight, it beckoned and shone like a luminous, living thing. Could one of the other gods have survived? Had Gullveig-Heid escaped Ragnarók? Could this even be a new god, bringing a new World out of Dream?

Then I looked up, and it hit me. This was no ordinary dream. Printed across the sky in letters that must have been a thousand feet high, letters that, like the Bif-rost of old, were made up of millions of tiny runes, coded together to create a web of something vast and unbreakable, I read:

NOW CHOOSE YOUR CHARACTER.

We were in a computer game.

THE GOSPEL OF LOKI ended at Ragnarok, the End of the Worlds, with Asgard fallen, the gods defeated and most of them either dead, or consigned to eternal torment in Netherworld. However, Loki manages to escape into another World through Dream, and finds himself, to his surprise, incarnate in  a human host – a 17-year-old girl called Jumps, and living in our own World. But, as he starts to come to terms with the challenges of being in a human host, Loki realizes that  there may be a way to escape the chains of mortality and return to the World of the gods.

THE TESTAMENT OF LOKI can be read alone, or as part of a sequence of RUNE books, which include RUNEMARKS, RUNELIGHT and THE GOSPEL OF LOKI.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:43:08 AM by Lady Ty »
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders