December 12, 2017, 08:19:28 AM

Author Topic: Deadhouse Gates - Finished!  (Read 4726 times)

Offline shieldfire

Re: Deadhouse Gates - Finished!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »
What did everybody think of Felisin? I tried real hard to feel sorry for her but she was just so harsh and mean spirited that I began to hate her.

It's interesting, because you really want to like her at the beginning because she's related to Paran, and seems so sympathetic, but the further it goes along the more I disliked her because while she makes understandable decisions, they're all the selfish or otherwise 'wrong' decisions. I mean, the drug abuse and essentially becoming the pit master's sex slave are at the level of 'unpalatable,' but the fact she blames everyone else for her problems, especially her hatred for Heboric and Baudin who are trying to help her the entire time, is what pushes it over the edge.

I don't know if it is acceptable to post in these threads, but I feel I must defend Felisin.
My personal background makes me want to hug Felisin all the way to the end. She is so totally broken, and just to stay alive in her twisted circumstances she does what she feels she needs to do, trusting the "wrong" people, lashing out at the "right" people. Indifferent to casually helpful people. Personally, I think Erikson did a wonderful job portraying this thoroughly broken woman. It would take a lot of patience in nurturing her back to a mended person, but then things happened.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:25:01 PM by shieldfire »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »
Sure you can! Fore away at those threads as much as you like. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 02:09:11 PM »
What did everybody think of Felisin? I tried real hard to feel sorry for her but she was just so harsh and mean spirited that I began to hate her.

It's interesting, because you really want to like her at the beginning because she's related to Paran, and seems so sympathetic, but the further it goes along the more I disliked her because while she makes understandable decisions, they're all the selfish or otherwise 'wrong' decisions. I mean, the drug abuse and essentially becoming the pit master's sex slave are at the level of 'unpalatable,' but the fact she blames everyone else for her problems, especially her hatred for Heboric and Baudin who are trying to help her the entire time, is what pushes it over the edge.

I don't know if it is acceptable to post in these threads...

Well, YEAH, but preferably you'd be reviving old threads to agree with me.  ;D