January 19, 2018, 08:59:07 PM

Author Topic: Ender's Game  (Read 804 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Ender's Game
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:22:24 PM »
So, I saw Ender's Game this weekend. Can't say I loved it, but my son liked it, so I guess there is that. A couple of things. If anyone is curious, Greensboro, NC (where Ender lives) looks *nothing* like the movie. That's not a real nitpick. They never mentioned the city name in the movie, but it was still a bit amusing to see the beautiful white cap mountains in the background. Ummmm.... no. There are no mountains that look like that on the east coast. Think you have to go west coast to see anything like that in the US. Like I said, not a real complaint, they can set that where ever they want. And if I didn't live close to Greensboro (and have family there), I wouldn't even have remembered where it was set in the book.

It really irked me when they would march in place after getting in front of the battleroom .... ummmm..... why? I know, silly complaint.

There was much missing from the movie (out of necessity I'm sure, there's not time to give all the details). But I felt like the movie was somehow both slow and rushed. Like for people that haven't read the book that there might not be enough information to understand why things were happening (they might feel it was rushed). But it was someone plodding at the same time.

Anyway, I didn't hate it by any means. I would say it was OK, not nearly as good as I hoped, but my kid liked it (or at least he told me he did ;) ) .
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: Ender's Game
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »
Yeah, I think you encapsulated most of my thoughts. It had some great moments, but it really did feel rushed in several parts, and I think that was largely because I was familiar with the book. I understand why they changed a few plot points and cut some stuff entirely out, but the simplified bits were not as interesting to me as the originals. It did have great visuals (I loved the zero-G sequences and how they visualized "the game") and overall I liked the young cast, particularly Asa Butterfield. But it was by no means as memorable as the book. The end reveal felt rushed to me, rather than earned and inevitable.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 04:36:01 PM »
I've just watched this one, and without ever having read the book, I thought it was quite interesting.
There was always this element of psychology and thoughts under the surface that I felt was probably a lot more developed in the book, and that led to that ending - am I right?

The actor Asa is very good!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:46:10 AM »
I liked the book @ScarletBea and am glad I read it before watching the film. It is ages since I have read or seen either, so can't remember all the detail, but the book made a huge emotional impression on me as the ending was completely unexpected and left me in shock.

Yes, you are right there is far more in Ender's mind, because of his early life, school and family, and his special closeness to his sister, than the film can explore properly. He is only seven when he has to leave them all behind, I believe much younger than usual, which is easy to forget.

Also there is a fairlyimportant sub-plot playing out at home, at the same time Ender is away, which rounds out the story rather than concentrating it on just what is happening to Ender. It is also relevant to the other books in the series. Do recommend you read the book sometime.

“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline Not Lu

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 05:33:22 PM »
I'd second Lady Ty in her recommendation to read the book. Orson Scott Card has written a lot of philosophy (internal struggle) into his Ender series that can't really be played out on a screen.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 06:25:39 PM »
The book is exceptional; the film was good. The book, in a very, very concise package expresses some notions that I found spot-on regarding military organizations. The book's approach (Ender's approach) to teamwork/team-building, is simple but amazing: it expresses the essential concepts of special operations, delegation, and a lot of very interesting concepts worthy of consideration.

Combined with the sequel, Ender's Shadow, the book explores something I've never seen conveyed so well - the way our success depends on often-unknown contributions of others. This was critical to me in my life - learning that not only SHOULD I share credit, I really HAD to if I wanted to be truthful with myself and others. Ender never loses - but it's not completely about Ender, and never was. I learned that we really are all Ender Wiggins, facing daunting odds, but armed with talents and allies, known and unknown. This idea profoundly changed my leadership style, and that change led to nothing less than decisions that saved lives, including my own. Not bad for two books of such simplicity and brevity, that can be read in a day or two.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell