December 12, 2017, 08:19:15 AM

Author Topic: What Sci-Fi book are you currently reading?  (Read 33138 times)

Offline Delaney

Re: What Sci-Fi book are you currently reading?
« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2016, 07:01:38 AM »
About to start Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Heard a lot of varying opinions about this one. Hopefully it can improve on the past few books I've read.

I just recently read Old Man's War, found it to be a fun easy read. I'll definitely read more in the series at some point in the near future.

Offline DaveEllis

« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2016, 09:34:43 AM »
Currently reading The Fireman by Joe Hill, so far so good, a post-apocalyptic novel where the world literally burns

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2016, 12:16:12 AM »
Not quite currently reading yet, but had notice pre-order of A Cold and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers is on its way as release date is 20th October ;D
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline SimonVale

« Reply #198 on: October 21, 2016, 10:13:27 AM »
I just finished reading The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. This was, I think, the seventh novel by Heinlein I read and it really puzzled me. It was perfect untill the plot line suddenly exploded with all the traveling: time, space and sexual. Now thinking, what's next?

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 21, 2016, 11:43:07 AM »
I just finished reading The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. This was, I think, the seventh novel by Heinlein I read and it really puzzled me. It was perfect untill the plot line suddenly exploded with all the traveling: time, space and sexual. Now thinking, what's next?

Yup. Have you read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"? Earlier book, absolute classic, some of the same characters. Not nuts.

But TCWWTW? Nuts.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline SimonVale

« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2016, 12:09:54 PM »
I did! And I loved it so much! And I loved Stranger... and The Door into Summer. Those are my favourites! That's also why The Cat puzzled me.

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2016, 12:57:48 PM »
I loved the door into summer, even if a bit, er, Lolita-ish?
I read about half of Stranger in a Strange Land. I think it and Walks through Walls are very much his psychedelic '60s phase.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Steve S

« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2016, 08:35:36 PM »
About two thirds the way through The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K Dick. It does to have its share of critics, but I'm enjoyed the book so far.

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2016, 03:23:55 PM »
I'm a few chapters into The Dark Between the Stars by Kevin J Anderson. Very good so far. Really has a Star Wars-y feel to the universe.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2016, 06:16:04 PM »
I'm about halfway through Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel  by James Luceno. It has already become my favorite of the new canon.

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »
Three body problem by Cixin  :)

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
Three body problem by Cixin  :)

An excellent choice. The first book is brilliant, but the sequels are two of the best books I've ever read.

Offline CT_Phipps

« Reply #207 on: May 07, 2017, 09:25:43 AM »
I just finished the ALEXIS CAREW novels by J.A. Sutherland which are YA versions of Honor Harrington basically, except arguably even better. Certainly, they focus strongly on what I liked best about the Honor books (the characterization) but have less of David Weber's obsession with larger events. It's a more interesting personal look.

I also just finished the second book in the SECRET KING series by Dawn Chapman. Jack Kirby-esque psychic beautiful human aliens escape from their dying world Krypton/Battlestar Galactica style and end up visiting modern day Earth with all the strangeness that entails.

I really enjoy both.
Author of Cthulhu Armageddon and Lucifer's Star

Offline shieldfire

« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »
The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu is the follow-up to The Three Body Problem, which I really liked. Hopefully this will also deliver.