November 18, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Author Topic: Unexpected finds and Under-hyped books  (Read 21530 times)

Offline SkynJay

Re: Unexpected finds and Under-hyped books
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »
Irenicon by Aidan Harte. It's very political, I think the politics hold a stronger place in the book than the characters themselves. But the central character is a very independent, strong willed female character that I quite enjoyed as well. I'm really looking reading the next one.

I am hearing this more and more, and kicking myself for passing on the chance to review it.  Now I will need to get my own copy.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »
Irenicon by Aidan Harte. It's very political, I think the politics hold a stronger place in the book than the characters themselves. But the central character is a very independent, strong willed female character that I quite enjoyed as well. I'm really looking reading the next one.

I am hearing this more and more, and kicking myself for passing on the chance to review it.  Now I will need to get my own copy.
:) Hope you enjoy it. I'm trying to find out when/if the rest will be released in the US. I really hope this won't be like Retribution Falls or Low Town where there's years until we see it (if we ever do).
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2014, 08:29:06 PM »
And I have another one for you. This one caught me completely off guard, I think most of the book I have added to this list I have heard "almost nothing" about. This book, I was a completely random find. I will mention the author has another book (Those Across the River) that was a World Fantasy Award nominee for Best Novel in 2012. I've read the two books are quite different, the only real similarity that they are both historical fiction blended with horror.

Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman. Not for the faint of heart. Historical fiction fantasy (set in 1348 France) with a good twist of horror.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:34:47 PM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Overlord

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2014, 07:34:52 PM »

Got very mixed reviews upon release, it is a slow book (and sequel is slower), but the Worldbuilding is excellent.
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2014, 10:47:38 PM »
Found godslayer in a charity shop earlier. Grabbed it and have now ordered banewrecker.  I'm a huge Carey fan (Kushiel tattoo...yup. fangirl) but have never been able to find these two. heard they're really good though, and very much loved her Kushiel and santana Olivia books. So high hopes!
~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2017, 07:15:34 AM »
Drakenfeld by Mark Charan Newton
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Adrian_Selby

• Soulfinder
  • Author of Snakewood, Producer at Boss Alien
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
A great shout for 'Replay' by Ken Grimwood earlier in the thread, and Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock.
I'd add Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.
A Stranger in Olondria - Sofia Samatar
The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester (sci fi)
City Of Saints And Madmen - Jeff Vandermeer
The Familiar Vol.1 - Mark Danielewski (spec fic, i.e. not secondary world)
Against The Day - Thomas Pynchon (spec fic, i.e. not secondary world)
Little, Big - John Crowley
The Drawing of the Dark - Tim Powers
Weaveworld - Clive Barker (only because it's old, I know it's well known :))