December 12, 2017, 08:23:04 AM

Author Topic: Marie Brennan  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
Marie Brennan
« on: March 15, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »
Great review of A Natural History of Dragons on site this week. I'd heard about it on Twitter and it sounded interesting, but seeing the artwork when I was drafting the review really got me interested. Anyone else read this yet? And has anyone read any of her other work?

Offline shep5377

Marie Brennan
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:00:30 AM »
I've read it. It was an enjoyable read and quite different to anything I'd read before. It was a worthwhile read, I guess, but I won't be reading the next instalments too eagerly. There wasn't enough fantasy in it for me (the dragons aren't fantastical at all, they're stripped to a biological study) so the book was reduced to a rather ordinary crime/mystery book.

I don't think it would be top of my list to recommend to others, TBH.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Marie Brennan
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »
I haven't read A Natural History of Dragons yet (Lejays17 is currently reading it), but I have read a couple of her others. There was a UF type thing called Doppelganger which I read years ago, not bad, but didn't inspire me to read more. She also did a 4 book series about the fae and their relationship with the British Empire, starting at their involvement with Elizabeth I, it's called the Onyx Court series, and that was pretty cool. I just haven't got around to reading the other 3 in the series.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:36:23 AM »
Like elfy said. I'm currently reading Dragons, which so far I'm quite enjoying, but I haven't got all that far into it.  It reminds me of a regency-romance-type thing (but with added dragons  ;)).

will report back when I'm further through with more impressions.  I do like the illustrations though.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »
Currently reading the last book in the series, and it's just great :D

In each book Isabella, Lady Trent, tells of her adventures studying dragons in a part of her world. For those who'd like a reference, these are the comparables to Earth (as I understand them):
book 1 - mountains/forests of Eastern Europe
book 2 - Amazonian rainforest
book 3 - Pacific islands
book 4 - Middle East/northern Africa
book 5 - Hymalayas

But don't think it's a copy/paste, or just based on preconceptions and stereotypes - if anything, she challenges those stereotypes!
And the stories are also quite different, unlike what I felt with the Temeraire series, where the latter books all fell quite similar, just the location had changed.
All in all, a great series, and I'm glad I finally tried it :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »
Wow!
The last book was really my favourite, mixing discovery, linguistics, anthropology and a great deal of fun :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 09:54:54 PM »
I've finally persuaded my library to buy the rest of the books (not just the first) so I'm going to be able to continue this, yay.