February 21, 2018, 12:53:01 PM

Author Topic: Marie Brennan  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
Marie Brennan
« on: March 15, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »
Great review of A Natural History of Dragons on site this week. I'd heard about it on Twitter and it sounded interesting, but seeing the artwork when I was drafting the review really got me interested. Anyone else read this yet? And has anyone read any of her other work?

Offline shep5377

Marie Brennan
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:00:30 AM »
I've read it. It was an enjoyable read and quite different to anything I'd read before. It was a worthwhile read, I guess, but I won't be reading the next instalments too eagerly. There wasn't enough fantasy in it for me (the dragons aren't fantastical at all, they're stripped to a biological study) so the book was reduced to a rather ordinary crime/mystery book.

I don't think it would be top of my list to recommend to others, TBH.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Marie Brennan
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »
I haven't read A Natural History of Dragons yet (Lejays17 is currently reading it), but I have read a couple of her others. There was a UF type thing called Doppelganger which I read years ago, not bad, but didn't inspire me to read more. She also did a 4 book series about the fae and their relationship with the British Empire, starting at their involvement with Elizabeth I, it's called the Onyx Court series, and that was pretty cool. I just haven't got around to reading the other 3 in the series.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:36:23 AM »
Like elfy said. I'm currently reading Dragons, which so far I'm quite enjoying, but I haven't got all that far into it.  It reminds me of a regency-romance-type thing (but with added dragons  ;)).

will report back when I'm further through with more impressions.  I do like the illustrations though.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »
Currently reading the last book in the series, and it's just great :D

In each book Isabella, Lady Trent, tells of her adventures studying dragons in a part of her world. For those who'd like a reference, these are the comparables to Earth (as I understand them):
book 1 - mountains/forests of Eastern Europe
book 2 - Amazonian rainforest
book 3 - Pacific islands
book 4 - Middle East/northern Africa
book 5 - Hymalayas

But don't think it's a copy/paste, or just based on preconceptions and stereotypes - if anything, she challenges those stereotypes!
And the stories are also quite different, unlike what I felt with the Temeraire series, where the latter books all fell quite similar, just the location had changed.
All in all, a great series, and I'm glad I finally tried it :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »
Wow!
The last book was really my favourite, mixing discovery, linguistics, anthropology and a great deal of fun :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 09:54:54 PM »
I've finally persuaded my library to buy the rest of the books (not just the first) so I'm going to be able to continue this, yay.