April 24, 2018, 04:03:20 AM

Author Topic: Myke Cole  (Read 7487 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: Myke Cole
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »
We read Control Point for the book club a couple of months ago. It's one that I would not have likely read on my own, but have to admit, it was definitely a fun read and well received in the book club ... I cant remember anyone not liking it. He was very kind to the the Q&A with us too!  ;D
Control Point was kind of like the book equivalent of a big dumb action movie. Not at all a bad thing. It's nice to sit down and read something and just have fun with it.

Not disputing that, but I think there's some meat here, as well.  Keeping in mind I have yet to read the second book, and actually haven't even finished the first yet, Myke is doing some pretty amazing things and opening some interesting themes with the Military control of magic, and the rather phobic ways in which American society reacts to people Manifesting powers.  He opens up some pretty difficult questions of personal liberty and how our ideals often conflict with our reality, and I'm hoping he does more with that in future books.
Yep. I'd agree with you that there is more than just 'action'.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Charlemagne

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 06:57:39 PM »
I've picked up Fortress Frontier, already noticing how much more sympathetic a character Bookbinder is than Britton. Not that he's a perfect character, but he's definitely better. Finding Britton POVs in this book is what allows me to put it down without regrets, unfortunately, but Bookbinder makes up for it.
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline Jeryn

• Builder
  • All that is gold does not glitter.
    • View Profile
    • My reviews of the books I've read
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 09:42:30 PM »

Offline Jeryn

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 04:56:45 PM »
I keep seeing references online to the Shadow Ops books being a trilogy. Anyone know if this is true?

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »
The third book - Breach Zone - came out in January...

Make Another World.

Offline Jeryn

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »
Actually just finished Breach Zone, and looking at other people talk about it online prompted the question.

To me, a trilogy doesn't just mean there are currently three books in the series out, but indicates that there are three books and that's the end of the series. I'd assumed there would be more Shadow Ops books ...

Offline Overlord

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »
Actually just finished Breach Zone, and looking at other people talk about it online prompted the question.

To me, a trilogy doesn't just mean there are currently three books in the series out, but indicates that there are three books and that's the end of the series. I'd assumed there would be more Shadow Ops books ...

Good news: Zeno announced last year that Myke has penned a new deal for another three books in the same world. At the moment these are simply called the 'Operator books'. Couldn't find much, but the Zeno site says:

"The first of the new books will be GEMINI CELL, which is set be a prequel to Myke’s debut novel, CONTROL POINT…
Set in the early days of the Great Reawakening, GEMINI CELL witnesses the birth of the Supernatural Operations Corps out of covert unit dabbling in the occult. Caught in the middle is James Schweitzer, a US Navy SEAL who stumbles upon the secret and pays with his life. But SEALs are a breed apart, and death is only the first step on Schweitzer’s long road to vengeance, revelation and redemption.

The story, Myke says, takes place in ‘a lower magic, occult setting’, yet ’offers the same high octane modern military fantasy that readers of the original SHADOW OPS trilogy will love."

Source: http://zenoagency.com/tag/myke-cole/
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Overlord

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 07:53:02 PM »
I keep seeing references online to the Shadow Ops books being a trilogy. Anyone know if this is true?

My personal belief is that Myke wants to stay in this World for a while (although I seem to remember him mentioning ideas for a separate series down the line). I think he will enjoy a career writing prequels, sequels, stories set in different times and featuring different batches of characters - the World, Magic System and ideas are so good that he can go full on Marvel if he likes ;)

Interview with Myke here: http://fantasy-faction.com/2014/myke-cole-library-congress-interview

He talks briefly about his new series (which seems almost done) and the other project he is working on too ^_^
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:59:16 PM by Overlord »

Offline MykeCole

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 07:57:11 PM »
Hey all, sorry to take so long to respond to this.

The trilogy is done. GEMINI CELL, my forth novel, will be set in the SHADOW OPS universe as Overlord has said.

I will continue writing military themed books (and even SHADOW OPS universe books) for as long as I can get paid to do it.

But it's also really important to me personally to break out of the military-writer stereotype. I want to be thought of as a good writer regardless of sub-genre. To that end, I'm working on a straight-up grimdark fantasy a la Mark Lawrence's BROKEN EMPIRE books. My agent has expressed some interest, and we'll see if I can get it over the top.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me directly at myke(at)mykecole(dot)com.

I really appreciate you reading my books, and caring enough to want to know what the future of the series is. I've said before that I write to communicate, and knowing that I'm reaching people makes all the difference in the world.

You all rock.

Offline Mark Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 08:41:55 PM »

The trilogy is done. GEMINI CELL, my forth novel, will be set in the SHADOW OPS universe as Overlord has said.

I will continue writing military themed books (and even SHADOW OPS universe books) for as long as I can get paid to do it.

But it's also really important to me personally to break out of the military-writer stereotype. I want to be thought of as a good writer regardless of sub-genre. To that end, I'm working on a straight-up grimdark fantasy a la Mark Lawrence's BROKEN EMPIRE books. My agent has expressed some interest, and we'll see if I can get it over the top.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me directly at myke(at)mykecole(dot)com.

I really appreciate you reading my books, and caring enough to want to know what the future of the series is. I've said before that I write to communicate, and knowing that I'm reaching people makes all the difference in the world.

You all rock.

Right, the only answer to that is: Imma write a military fantasy next!

"It's like Apocalypse Now ate Lord of the Rings!"

Offline jdiddyesquire

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 03:44:54 PM »

You all rock.

I haven't posted here in a decade, but I think it's important to note that GEMINI CELL is amazing. It's Myke's best work yet. Get excited.
Justin
My reviews and other malarkey:
http://staffersmusings.blogspot.com
Twitter: @jdiddyesquire
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1652081-justin

Offline Overlord

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »

You all rock.

I haven't posted here in a decade, but I think it's important to note that GEMINI CELL is amazing. It's Myke's best work yet. Get excited.

Oh... I see... now you get ligament damage and can't make the gym anymore you have time for us, right? ;)

In all seriousness: Awesome. I had no doubts it would be, but it is great to hear it confirmed. If Myke continues this trend of getting better with each book I may have to ask if he is taking some kind of writing steroid (and where I get them from).