February 20, 2018, 07:42:06 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 699500 times)

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10320 on: January 22, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
hopefully slipping into this:  https://www.trulia.com/property/44681759-4738-Wildwood-Dr-Evans-GA-30809
ohmygawd!!! :o
No wonder that when americans come to Europe (but mainly UK) they're speechless at the combination size/price of houses ::)

Well done :D

Not my style but otherwise great!
And yep, looks incredibly inexpensive for our European eyes. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10321 on: January 22, 2018, 12:31:06 PM »
It is an upper-middle class home by Georgia standards, and luckily for me, considered outdates in some aspects. Many Americans at my income bracket are, well, quite foolish and stupid, as a rule. This house is a terrific value, for the money. Its features are very appealing to us, but the more wealthy people want either much more land, or a more imposing edifice (silliness imho). Without my military/poverty background, I'd be just like them, pursuing expensive trappings of wealth and meaningless bells and whistles. This home has little of that, but much of everything else. It has space for my grown kids to stay, and gives everyone privacy. There are no photos of it, but there's a completely independent apartment over the garage with a kitchen and bathroom of its own. Perhaps we'll find a wanna be novelist at the university who wants a peaceful, quiet life of writing balanced with some light housework and some cooking in return for a safe, quiet place to work on their breakout novel.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Hedin

« Reply #10322 on: January 22, 2018, 01:13:25 PM »
I feel you, although not so severely these days. Mrs. Gem and I are looking to relocate locally - not going far, but we're looking to move up a bit. We're getting our financials and approvals in order and hopefully slipping into this:  https://www.trulia.com/property/44681759-4738-Wildwood-Dr-Evans-GA-30809

The Northerner in my shudders at seeing an unattached garage but down there its not going to be a problem.  I really like the gazebo and the backyard area but the feature in the driveway is throwing me a little.  Overall its pretty nice and I wouldn't say no to living it in myself (although I'm not planning on ever moving again until the kids move out and/or I get tired to going up the stairs).

No wonder that when americans come to Europe (but mainly UK) they're speechless at the combination size/price of houses ::)

Whenever I watch one of those house hunters shows when they're in Europe I almost always wonder where the rest of the house is with the price they are asking.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:16:09 PM by Hedin »

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10323 on: January 22, 2018, 04:03:54 PM »
Yeah, that front yard feature is interesting. We'll see how things go - but if we move in, I'll probably leave it and cleverly turn it into a fighting position from which the whole house can be defended.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: January 23, 2018, 12:46:54 AM »
'Fess up, TGC, you are fleeing the wisteria, which has now taken over the house and threatening to entwine you and family forever.  ;)

Seriously, hope all goes smoothly, house looks great. Green with envy at real estate values. I am having to look at same for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. :'(
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10325 on: January 23, 2018, 05:31:28 AM »
So we visited the property and were not disappointed. It actually has more than the reported number of rooms. We are pre-approved for more than they are asking. So it is mine for the taking.
The patio with no less than 3 fireplaces is impressive and, combined with a front porch the length of the house and a deck off the back that is quite expansive and the fountain thing out front all give me so many places to hang out and enjoy my plants. I spend a lot of time on the phone, and I can wander and water while I talk people into and out of things.
Inside, everything was nice. A little dated and worn here and there, but nothing ... dodgy. The floorplan would suit us extraordinarily well in many regards: his and her offices (we both work from home); 3 large bedrooms upstairs, one with an additional room off of it for moderate TV room/study, and an all-season room off the back of the house that looks into the woods. And the master bed room has a nice bathroom and while not huge, large enough and on the main floor - so no stairs for my paratrooper knees to contend with.
We'll take another look at this place and at some others - I don't plan on moving ever again. So best to make sure it fits us well.
The Gem Cutter

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10326 on: January 23, 2018, 09:28:55 PM »
Last week I received a box of Terry Pratchett hard cover books from a friend on this forum. The offer was a delightful surprise, The books are lovely and some inscribed and will be treasured, gather dust and be lovingly reread every so often. I even had to clear space on my new shelves to fit them all in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/cCWxiSUpalkGJV9sYlwdCGA7A88ozYj8LsTBWJVtkws]https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/cCWxiSUpalkGJV9sYlwdCGA7A88ozYj8LsTBWJVtkws[/url]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/xYnvBGgHQvGAIKizQVqkiBPS4dViHmjkbhmhSC1FZ5f

So a great big thank you. It was a reminder of what fantastic people make up this community.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10327 on: January 23, 2018, 10:07:51 PM »
'Fess up, TGC, you are fleeing the wisteria, which has now taken over the house and threatening to entwine you and family forever.  ;)

Seriously, hope all goes smoothly, house looks great. Green with envy at real estate values. I am having to look at same for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. :'(

I love my wisteria, and I'm bringing it with me. I intend it to camoflage my primary home defense position, from where interlocking fields of fire prevent ingress from the key avenues of approach  >:(
And it will be pretty with lovely flowers  ::)
The Gem Cutter

Offline Hedin

« Reply #10328 on: January 23, 2018, 10:43:35 PM »
Reports coming that Ursula Le Guin passed away.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #10329 on: January 24, 2018, 01:49:20 AM »
Reports coming that Ursula Le Guin passed away.

I know, mourning is why I came into the Paws for a drink...

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10330 on: January 24, 2018, 02:34:54 AM »
"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end." - Ursula Le Guin
The Gem Cutter

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10331 on: January 24, 2018, 12:11:41 PM »
I love my wisteria, and I'm bringing it with me. I intend it to camoflage my primary home defense position, from where interlocking fields of fire prevent ingress from the key avenues of approach  >:(
;D

I wonder if the spammers know I'm a new mod and wanted to give me work! Today I banned 3 people and removed 2 threads 8)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:13:47 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10332 on: January 24, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »
;D

I wonder if the spammers know I'm a new mod and wanted to give me work! Today I banned 3 people and removed 2 threads 8)

Wow, with that I've just noticed that @ScarletBea have become a moderator now!  ;D Congratulations on your new powers, and don't change from the friendly Bea we all knew just yet!

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #10333 on: January 25, 2018, 03:04:29 AM »
;D

Wow, with that I've just noticed that @ScarletBea have become a moderator now!  ;D Congratulations on your new powers, and don't change from the friendly Bea we all knew just yet!

Was there a party to celebrate this promotion? Did I miss it (which wouldn't be surprising)? I feel like we need a second celebratory party with cake and wine. I'll supply the wine.

Congrats, @ScarletBea! I once envisioned you as a classy sorceress in Victorian red dress, but now I envision you as a classy sorceress in a Victorian red with super awesome levelled up powers.
"A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit." -- Richard Bach

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10334 on: January 25, 2018, 08:13:27 AM »
Was there a party to celebrate this promotion? Did I miss it (which wouldn't be surprising)? I feel like we need a second celebratory party with cake and wine. I'll supply the wine.
Party (with cake): http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=11196.0

I once envisioned you as a classy sorceress in Victorian red dress, but now I envision you as a classy sorceress in a Victorian red with super awesome levelled up powers.
;D ;D
(FYI, I hardly ever wear dresses, but I love the image that those words bring to my brain 8) )
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!