January 22, 2018, 08:19:31 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 684700 times)

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10290 on: January 11, 2018, 07:23:36 PM »
So, has anyone here been to Paris?

I have an opportunity to score really cheap tickets there in May, and I've never been. I went to London a few years ago, and it left me with a desire to see more of Europe's old, major cities.

I'm not interested in the night life, or cuisine. I'm interested in old buildings, museums, and the like. Obviously Paris has those in abundance, but is there enough to last through a five-day trip? And is the city just generally pleasant to be in? I can well imagine that the locals are sick of tourists. And I don't speak the language.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #10291 on: January 11, 2018, 08:05:56 PM »
I've been there but I'm not going to steal @Nora a big and definitely better post. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: January 11, 2018, 08:36:59 PM »
Are there enough for a five day trip, in the single most visited city in the entire world? I'd say so.
Though how you can not be interested in the food when it makes 70% of the charme of being anywhere in Paris baffles me.
I honestly don't have that much to recommend that some person online won't have done 10x better. I'm not into old buildings.
The locals ARE sick of tourists, but you don't need to speak to them, and if you do, learning how to say you don't speak French isn't hard. Many Parisians enjoy the opportunity to practice their English, so long as you go the correct way about approaching them.
5 days is barely enough to cover the Louvres Museum alone. Not to mention the Palais d'Orsay, whose interior is an old train station and you can visit the back of the huge clock.
The nicest areas to live in are the most expensive, so for 5 days I recommend going outside of the city proper. Or better, go on Couchsurfing or Air Bnb and find a host who likes to tour people around, speaks English, and maybe knows his shit when it comes to old buildings.
Don't dress and act like a tourist, say a sharp and strong "non merci!" To anyone asking you to sign a petition or to read something for you. Also don't accept anything given to you. Some tricks include making you believe you dropped a ring, another just starting to lock a bracelet over your wrist and have you pay for it.
Do not go to the Boulevard de Clichy or Pigalle at night. That is where prostitution and stabbings happen.

There is probably a museum for architecture. Not much I can recommend if I can't mention food.

To be honest I don't like the city that much, and I never had to pay to stay, so can't tell you where is nice. I'd look around Vincenne though.

Also, go visit the great Mosque. It's gorgeous inside, has all the best Arabian sweets, and more importantly, the hammam is one of the best things to visit and relax in. It's men only and women only days. Check the website. It's worth every penny.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10293 on: January 12, 2018, 04:55:49 AM »
I've been trying to get my wife to Paris for years. We would like to spend more than a week. We'd like to spend at least a few days / most of the trip in the Louvre and get out to the Palace of Versailles, among many other things. I flunked French for years in grade school, so I am sure it would be entertaining for the Parisians to see me stumbling through the language. I struggle with sounds that come from the back of the tongue/throat, which didn't help my Arabic much, either.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #10294 on: January 12, 2018, 08:03:01 AM »
Do not go to the Boulevard de Clichy or Pigalle at night. That is where prostitution and stabbings happen.

HAHAHAAH I've been to Paris a couple of times.  I've never been to the Louvre or Eiffel Tower, but I *have* been to the Pigalle at night. 

I have friends there, and that's where she wanted to go!  It's kind of cool to see neon sex shop signs at the bottom of gorgeous historic architecture.  Passing one of those shady shops you enter the apartment building and there's an enormous circular stairwell with giant stained glass windows running up along it's wall.  We went to a house party on the top floor that had a view of the Moulin Rouge. It was a small apartment with a cellist from St. Petersburg, a Senegalese singer, a guitarist from Brazil and some woman clinking beer bottles together all jamming out playing Manu Chau, Amadou and Miriam, and hipster songs of all varieties sitting on the living room couch while people danced in the spaces and hallways in between.  My friend took off for the summer (I guess like half of Paris can somehow get 3 months of vacation every summer and they go to the beach) and let me stay at her apartment in the Belleville neighborhood in Paris, it's full of hipster artists and I quite enjoyed the people I met there.  I also enjoyed walking across the city at night-- along the river people pull out blankets and drink wine while watching the water and playing the guitar.  In the mornings I was generally too hung over to do any of the touristy stuff I had planned on doing and I just never got around to it.  I met a lot of really nice people.  I speak a fair amount of French and fluent Spanish (I seem to end up hanging with people from Spain whatever country I'm in).

I easily spent a week and didn't even get to the Louvre (and that was just the first time), but I'm the kinda guy that gets distracted by people and their stories and next thing you know it's been a few weeks and I haven't done the things I set out to do but instead did 5,000 random things.  I did make it up to the beach and apparently in the summer there's this thing called Apéro that happens in the summer where you hang out at the beach and drink wine and eat cheese starting at like 4pm and get drunk every day (in our case) discussing anarchist social theory.

Anyway, Paris is great!  For architecture, I'd stay try to stay someplace central.  But if you REALLY want a feast of architectural delights... have you been to Barcelona?  Omg it's like an architecture orgasm.

(also if you have time to get out of Paris, and you're like me and love castles, I'd say visit Carcassonne.  There are more beautiful castles than that one, but at Carcassonne they've reconstructed the whole city within the ramparts, and there's actually a youth hostel you can stay in right next to the castle inside the whole structure!!!)

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10295 on: January 12, 2018, 03:49:22 PM »
No queue at security. Zilch! No one in front of me! I didn't even have time to take off my coat before getting to the trays section!
I love flying in January ;D

Still over an hour to wait, though *yawns*

Delayed 30 mins >:( >:( and it might mean actually longer >:(
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:02:31 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #10296 on: January 12, 2018, 10:40:30 PM »
No queue at security. Zilch! No one in front of me! I didn't even have time to take off my coat before getting to the trays section!
I love flying in January ;D

Still over an hour to wait, though *yawns*

Delayed 30 mins >:( >:( and it might mean actually longer >:(

Have a fun trip!!!!!!

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10297 on: January 13, 2018, 01:58:54 PM »
Thanks! In the end the delay was really just 30 mins, all went well.
It's sunny and relatively warm here ;D
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #10298 on: January 13, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »

HAHAHAAH I've been to Paris a couple of times.  I've never been to the Louvre or Eiffel Tower, but I *have* been to the Pigalle at night. 

I have friends there, and that's where she wanted to go!  It's kind of cool to see neon sex shop signs at the bottom of gorgeous historic architecture.  Passing one of those shady shops you enter the apartment building and there's an enormous circular stairwell with giant stained glass windows running up along it's wall.  We went to a house party on the top floor that had a view of the Moulin Rouge. It was a small apartment with a cellist from St. Petersburg, a Senegalese singer, a guitarist from Brazil and some woman clinking beer bottles together all jamming out playing Manu Chau, Amadou and Miriam, and hipster songs of all varieties sitting on the living room couch while people danced in the spaces and hallways in between.  My friend took off for the summer (I guess like half of Paris can somehow get 3 months of vacation every summer and they go to the beach) and let me stay at her apartment in the Belleville neighborhood in Paris, it's full of hipster artists and I quite enjoyed the people I met there.  I also enjoyed walking across the city at night-- along the river people pull out blankets and drink wine while watching the water and playing the guitar.  In the mornings I was generally too hung over to do any of the touristy stuff I had planned on doing and I just never got around to it.  I met a lot of really nice people.  I speak a fair amount of French and fluent Spanish (I seem to end up hanging with people from Spain whatever country I'm in).

I easily spent a week and didn't even get to the Louvre (and that was just the first time), but I'm the kinda guy that gets distracted by people and their stories and next thing you know it's been a few weeks and I haven't done the things I set out to do but instead did 5,000 random things.  I did make it up to the beach and apparently in the summer there's this thing called Apéro that happens in the summer where you hang out at the beach and drink wine and eat cheese starting at like 4pm and get drunk every day (in our case) discussing anarchist social theory.
Sounds great! I love when things like this happen. You really have a talent in describing atmosphere. I feel like I've been there. :) (Maybe I was? You never know!) Sounds very similar to summer in Berlin when the whole city is a festival of sorts.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10299 on: January 13, 2018, 11:57:17 PM »
Just returned from a trip to Washington DC to visit my nephew and his gal. Had a great lunch, then visited the National Geographic Society museum. Saw a fascinating photo exhibit that communicated a great deal about the nature of animals, their individuality, and the need to treat them with respect. Especially hippos surfing in the ocean. And saw a 3D, interactive exhibit on the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem.

There was a bookstore, too......

“Milk and Honey”, poetry by Rupi Kaur
“Barsk: The elephant’s graveyard”, a SF book
“Yiddish for Pirates”, a comic adventure related by a parrot

Which means I probably now have over 200 unread books  8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: January 14, 2018, 05:45:07 AM »
One of best ways to soak up buildings and atmosphere @Eli_Freysson is to walk Paris as much as you can. Along the Seine, there are walkways on either side I think, from Eiffel Tower all way to Notre Dame. and recently they have deliberately closed a road to make a boulevard,  as you go you see famous buildings and can detour to look at them.  Didn’t actually walk under the famous bridges, though as so many homeless were living there. Just went up to road level and down other side.

Also get Metro to Anvers and walk all way up hill through Montmartre to Sacre-Coeur and look over Paris . Also get great view of how Paris was laid out by Napoleon if you climb inside Arc de Triomphe, but, but, but - stairs are high, steep and narrow.   :o

You may not be keen on sampling food,(can’t believe that is true) but if you are in Champs Elysee go and look in windows and at display of patisserie Laduree. Their pastries are mindbogglingly beautiful works of sublime art and deserve photos.  ;) Also you can catch train to Versailles, not long, and walk up to palace. It is the epitome of decadence and just an unbelievable experience.
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10301 on: January 14, 2018, 12:49:22 PM »
Though how you can not be interested in the food when it makes 70% of the charme of being anywhere in Paris baffles me.
I honestly don't have that much to recommend that some person online won't have done 10x better. I'm not into old buildings.
The locals ARE sick of tourists, but you don't need to speak to them, and if you do, learning how to say you don't speak French isn't hard. Many Parisians enjoy the opportunity to practice their English, so long as you go the correct way about approaching them.
5 days is barely enough to cover the Louvres Museum alone. Not to mention the Palais d'Orsay, whose interior is an old train station and you can visit the back of the huge clock.
The nicest areas to live in are the most expensive, so for 5 days I recommend going outside of the city proper. Or better, go on Couchsurfing or Air Bnb and find a host who likes to tour people around, speaks English, and maybe knows his shit when it comes to old buildings.
Don't dress and act like a tourist, say a sharp and strong "non merci!" To anyone asking you to sign a petition or to read something for you. Also don't accept anything given to you. Some tricks include making you believe you dropped a ring, another just starting to lock a bracelet over your wrist and have you pay for it.

On the food thing, I'm just a terribly picky eater. I'm well aware that it's not a virtue, but I can't change my taste buds, nor the fact that something about the feel of vegetables crunching between my teeth makes my skin crawl.

And I'm also either stingy or thrifty, I can't quite tell, and Air BnB sure looks enticing for my wallet. But I have some money saved up, and with my limited tolerance for people I really need to have a place where I can just be alone.

Anyway, I've been looking over the places I really want to visit, and a rough plan is:

First full day: Start with the Eiffel Tower, then walk to the Notre Dame and see the sights along the way, then visit the catacombs.

Second day: Start with a drive to Versailles, then visit the Place de la Concorde and go from there to the Arc de Triomphe.

Third day: The Louvre.

Fourth day: A trip on the Seine, followed by [to be decided].

To be honest, I'm not fully set on this whole thing, and I'm wondering whether I'm taking on more than I can handle. I'm not well suited for crowds, and long lines offer plenty of potential for frustration and stress.

But having visited some of Europe's historic cities is something I really want to have accomplished in my life.

EDIT: Also, on the issue of pickpockets, am I going to look like a complete moron if I wear a money belt?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:05:59 PM by Eli_Freysson »

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10302 on: January 14, 2018, 04:03:36 PM »
Get a small, inexpensive wallet and wear it round your neck on a break-away strap. Don't put anything in it but a picture of The Middle Finger in it. Thieves are observant but unused to ruses that are not their own - if your wallet is in plain sight, in a difficult position, they're unlikely to go for it. If they do, well, they're aiming at the wrong target, and your couple euros at least bought you a smile and story about thieves.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10303 on: January 14, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »
Get a small, inexpensive wallet and wear it round your neck on a break-away strap. Don't put anything in it but a picture of The Middle Finger in it. Thieves are observant but unused to ruses that are not their own - if your wallet is in plain sight, in a difficult position, they're unlikely to go for it. If they do, well, they're aiming at the wrong target, and your couple euros at least bought you a smile and story about thieves.

That is... a really excellent idea.

Online ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10304 on: January 15, 2018, 03:41:33 PM »
Dentist this morning: it was just for a clean-up, but she discovered a hidden cavity! All fixed now, no pain :D