December 11, 2017, 07:36:30 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 671482 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10140 on: December 06, 2017, 03:58:27 PM »
I’ve long wanted to go to a park in Pennsylvania that is said to be in the darkest place east of the Mississippi River. I want to see stars as they should be — as they were for humans for most of our history. (Lots of other places I could go, of course, but not in easy driving distance.)
I remember a couple of years ago when I went up to Northumberland and stayed the night at Lindisfarne.
When I left the pub where I had dinner and looked up... the sky was AMAZING!!! So many stars, so beautiful :D I hadn't seen such a sky since I was little and at my gran's house.
I just stood there, in the middle of the street, just enjoying...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Peat

« Reply #10141 on: December 06, 2017, 10:20:10 PM »
Where in PA? That sounds like something I want to do one day...

Anyway, I've been rather quiet here, through business and anti-socialness, but general belated congrats to all of you who've done something awesome recently, its quite a few of you.

My little contribution is this Saturday, me and my wife will finally be together in the same home for good. I'm almost sad that our LDR is finally at an end, that this crazy mad time in my life is no more, that there's going to be someone here to stop me from being an absolute slob... but there we go. Its a definite life upgrade. Now I just have to finish making this flat look halfway wholesome.

Instead of eating Chinese right out of the container, using an upturned drawer for a table, in a room full of cardboard boxes with only one of two curtains and all that good stuff...

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10142 on: December 06, 2017, 11:14:56 PM »
@Peat, it’s a one-acre park halfway between Harrisburg and Buffalo, called :cherry Springs State Park”. It’s dedicated to amateur astronomy, with little mini observatory buildings for setting up telescopes. I think that’s pretty neat.

Are you in PA at this point? Or is she in the UK? I can’t recall.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10143 on: December 06, 2017, 11:40:58 PM »
Where in PA? That sounds like something I want to do one day...

Anyway, I've been rather quiet here, through business and anti-socialness, but general belated congrats to all of you who've done something awesome recently, its quite a few of you.

My little contribution is this Saturday, me and my wife will finally be together in the same home for good. I'm almost sad that our LDR is finally at an end, that this crazy mad time in my life is no more, that there's going to be someone here to stop me from being an absolute slob... but there we go. Its a definite life upgrade. Now I just have to finish making this flat look halfway wholesome.

Instead of eating Chinese right out of the container, using an upturned drawer for a table, in a room full of cardboard boxes with only one of two curtains and all that good stuff...
You've been in a long-distance marriage? How?

My plans have been derailed by rain... For now. I will get to nature next week. I hope.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10144 on: December 07, 2017, 03:44:31 AM »
I’ve long wanted to go to a park in Pennsylvania that is said to be in the darkest place east of the Mississippi River. I want to see stars as they should be — as they were for humans for most of our history. (Lots of other places I could go, of course, but not in easy driving distance.)
In my youth, I went to the Mojave Desert on my first major field exercise. At night, I slept on top of a big box up on top of a big truck, and I could stare at the stars. I discovered, quite by accident, that one can actually see satellites, if one takes the time to stare at a fixed point long enough. The biggest distraction was shooting stars, which are far more frequent than most people realize. Anyway, tracking a satellite across the sky probably remains the quietest, most peaceful moments I've had in what turned out to be a very busy life.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Peat

« Reply #10145 on: December 07, 2017, 06:34:04 AM »
@Peat, it’s a one-acre park halfway between Harrisburg and Buffalo, called :cherry Springs State Park”. It’s dedicated to amateur astronomy, with little mini observatory buildings for setting up telescopes. I think that’s pretty neat.

Are you in PA at this point? Or is she in the UK? I can’t recall.

I can barely recall myself half the time... right now we're both in our home cities, but, fingers crossed, she'll be here in London with me in about 60 hours.

And I'll deffo have to go there one day.

You've been in a long-distance marriage? How?

My plans have been derailed by rain... For now. I will get to nature next week. I hope.

Well, we got married, I lived in one continent, she lived in another...  ;)

We've been in a long distance relationship for four years now. Met on the net. Got married last May but all the paperwork and crap took time to do, so only just now about to close the gap.

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #10146 on: December 07, 2017, 06:48:42 AM »
That’s romantic, did you meet on sci-fi site?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10147 on: December 07, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »
I spent my early teens living in a farmhouse in the countryside. It's basically in the centre of a wide, flat valley, and can get intensely cold in the winter. And the house itself is old and rather drafty. I wouldn't go back there, for various reasons, but it sure was a good place to watch the night sky.

(In the winter, that is. Midnight sun, and all that.)

Late one hideously cold evening I went outside in a snowsuit and spent maybe half an hour just admiring the stars and the northern lights. And I happened to look straight at a shooting star that broke in two as it descended.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10148 on: December 07, 2017, 11:30:41 AM »
Not that I have been for a while but I used to go up to Cullever Steps on Dartmoor. you have a 5 mile walk over to get there and are high enough to be above the sodium pollution. The Americans dynamited the tor to make a pool big enough to swim in when they were stationed there. So you walk and swim in the day fish for trout at dusk and watch the stars at night. As has been said in earlier posts the number of visible stars is surprising and there are lots of shooting stars and low orbiting space junk to keep your attention. I tended to head up there in July as it goes from extremely hot in the day to sub zero at night. It was well worth it though and a great spot for stargazing.

Offline Peat

« Reply #10149 on: December 07, 2017, 10:20:53 PM »
That’s romantic, did you meet on sci-fi site?

World of Darkness rpg site of all things. Ironically enough, she's not really that nerdy, although every now and again she goes off in the deep end and surprises me.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #10150 on: December 08, 2017, 08:06:06 AM »
The night sky always amazes me when you get away from the light pollution of cities and you can see the band of Milky Way spread across the sky.

Peat, I was very into Vampire the Masquerade back in the day, going to national events and whatnot.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10151 on: December 08, 2017, 04:48:42 PM »
Well, my university exam season is over.

I'm about 90% sure I passed in the one subject I was worried about. I already know I got circa 9 in the rest.

I now have a month to relax, write, play video games, and drink hot cocoa in the Christmas cold.

And I'm on my way to a holiday buffet.  :)
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10152 on: December 08, 2017, 06:50:40 PM »
I had my department Christmas meal, today!
It was a bit strange, having a proper meal (mexican!) between 4 and 6pm, but I didn't have any trouble with it ;D
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #10153 on: December 08, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
I had my department Christmas meal, today!
It was a bit strange, having a proper meal (mexican!) between 4 and 6pm, but I didn't have any trouble with it ;D

Any snow up there?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10154 on: December 08, 2017, 07:25:35 PM »
I had some in my car this morning, but then it was a wonderful sunny (freezing) day.
Sunday will be the big snowy day :D

What about you?