November 23, 2017, 03:32:21 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 664505 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #9570 on: July 17, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »
Me again!
After driving a while, I spent basically the whole day with Saraband :D
It's amazing how perfectly we got along - at least I thought so hehe

After over 3 years of posts and messages, we finally saw each other face to face, and it felt like I've known him all my life :-[

Photo when I get home tomorrow...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #9571 on: July 17, 2017, 08:30:48 PM »
I disappeared, but now I have returned.

I see the form is still screwed up. I thought it would be fixed by now. :(

I attended the National Federation of the Blind Convention last week. It's a 6-day convention, with around 3500 blind people navigating a hotel with dogs and canes. Kind of scary when you get trapped in the middle. We talked about legislative issues, such as blind parents having their children taken from them on the assumption that they are unable to take care of a child, with no proof besides their disability, which isn't proof. We talked about new FCC laws that require any video playing device manufactured after December 20 2016 to be fully accessible, whether that be through a screenreader or an app you can control it with. We talked about new technology being developed for the blind, and the latest accessibility improvements to current tech. But mostly, we reunited with friends we hadn't seen in person for over a year. And then we said goodbye and went our separate ways.

It was a blast. Late nights, early mornings, and lots of blind people. Very fun though, and can't wait to be back next year, hopefully working with blind students.

Oh, and I earned 375 dollars for participating in several accessibility studies. Two of them were trying to figure out ways to present graphs and maps to blind people using a touch screen. Then the others were figuring out ways blind people could take the same online tests with the rest of our sighted peers, and working on ways to do math on the computer. And, on top of that, I was offered a paid internship which would start in January. They said they put me at the top of their list, so hopefully that pans out. so with the money I earned, that whole week didn't cost me anything.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9572 on: July 17, 2017, 08:44:05 PM »
Ultament, that sounds great!
I'm glad you had such a good time :)

By the way, I always meant to ask: how does your reader handle the smiley faces?
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: July 17, 2017, 08:48:49 PM »
Me again!
After driving a while, I spent basically the whole day with Saraband :D
It's amazing how perfectly we got along - at least I thought so hehe

After over 3 years of posts and messages, we finally saw each other face to face, and it felt like I've known him all my life :-[

Photo when I get home tomorrow...

Did you go native and talk in English about the weather also did you talk about how handsome Jmack is? Now that you met most of the British based members I think it's time you went for USA tour of the f-f members who unfortunately live there without the  letter U .
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #9574 on: July 17, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »
Ultament, that sounds great!
I'm glad you had such a good time :)

By the way, I always meant to ask: how does your reader handle the smiley faces?

Well, this screenreader handles everything a bit weird. Any emoticon says smiley after it. So I get phrases like "smiling smiley." Also, it doesn't handle complex emojis well at all. My phone does a way better job, as well as the Mac side of this computer, which I still can't access because I'm too lazy to put in the effort.

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9575 on: July 17, 2017, 08:55:49 PM »
Did you go native and talk in English about the weather also did you talk about how handsome Jmack is?
Yes, we complained about how hot it was ;D
And we mentioned Jmack, but not his looks ;)

Now that you met most of the British based members I think it's time you went for USA tour of the f-f members who unfortunately live there without the  letter U .
Hmmm I'd rather they all came over to the UK 8)

And thanks, ultament, that's quite interesting to know.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: July 17, 2017, 09:01:14 PM »
We were happy to complain about how unbearably hot it was (21 degrees celsius, you wouldn't believe that I survived summer temperatures of 36 degrees celsius back in Portugal  :P)

And yay, we enjoyed a wonderful sorbet while looking at Edinburgh Castle from the gardens down below, and lots of good talk as if we've known each other forever  ;D Brothers from another mother, I guess!

And yes, Bea is basically the most amazingly positive person ever. You all ought to meet her, and bask in her scarlet warmth  ;)
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Hedin

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a Mr Whippy with a 99 flake.)
« Reply #9577 on: July 17, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »
Everyone one meet Emma.   Emma, stare at me while I introduce you to everyone.   She decided to show up yesterday late afternoon and everything went off perfectly (once again my wife proved that men are the weaker of the sexes).   Both mom and baby are doing well and I'm trying to remember the balance of not reacting to every little noise but then not freaking out when she's quiet.

One year later:

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: July 17, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »
Who has been you favourite f-f Member you have met so far outside the forum Bea;-) I think it would be nighteyes I'm I correct?

And I'm not naughty at all
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:20:24 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9579 on: July 17, 2017, 10:27:10 PM »
Awwww look at little Emma :D
Well, big Emma, compared to one year ago hehe
She looks great, Hedin, thanks for posting.

And, bad Eclipse :P Just to put you in your place, I'll say Saraband, not you 8)

Saraband :-[ :-[

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #9580 on: July 18, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »
It's incredible how fast they grow in the first year and how much they learn. Very cute!
How's the relationship to the big sister? ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #9581 on: July 18, 2017, 08:59:24 AM »
That's a cute little girl! My aunt had a baby some years ago, and sometimes I just can't believe how fast they grew up. (Well now I sounded old myself)  ;D

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: July 18, 2017, 11:14:54 AM »
You can't be that old SK?!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #9583 on: July 18, 2017, 12:34:01 PM »
Oh well I'm not that old (I'm 19) Although my friends says I look like a 20 something year old and seemed much more mature than that. *emanates sagely aura*  :D

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9584 on: July 18, 2017, 04:14:42 PM »
Here we go:

(and I posted the one with Nora properly, now)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:16:41 PM by ScarletBea »