December 11, 2017, 07:26:00 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 671478 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10110 on: November 19, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10111 on: November 20, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »
My fantasy books are on their shelves! I feel *much* better ;D

And @Rostum, your latest posts just make me realise that my desire to re-read keep getting further away, hehe
I also need to buy Daniel Abraham's The dagger and the coin books 2-5, the paperback of Blood Mirror...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10112 on: November 20, 2017, 07:57:45 PM »
Oof. I wonder if people who live in snow-free parts of the world realise what an infinite variety snow and ice manifests in. The streets and sidewalks are covered with ice, which wouldn't be a problem if it was colder. But the ice is juuust damp enough to be quite slippery. And now we have really fine, powdery snow coming down. If it was wetter and heavier it might create a solid layer to walk on, but it just hides the really slippery parts.
I didn't until I lived in Minneapolis during this past Winter. I saw all of the fun varieties. Ugh.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10113 on: November 20, 2017, 08:28:59 PM »
Huh.

There's been a... development.

My author website, which I've been thinking about getting rid of because it just doesn't do anything for me just got contacted by some Romanian dude. He introduces himself as the editor of ZIN, a paper magazine of sci-fi, fantasy and horror. They are about to launch #2, which will have as its main story the Nebula 2016 winner by William Ledbetter. Apparently he was browsing through Danish fantasy and then got curious about Icelandic. And that meant me. He wants to talk about one of my work being in #4, next summer.

This is an... unexpected development. I want to be very, very careful not to get ahead of myself, but if this magazine has a significant readership it could mean the publicity boost I so badly need. I don't think my strength really lies in short stories, but I DO have one sitting around that I didn't manage to get into an online magazine. And maybe if I wrote one featuring Katja from the Silent War, it might renew interest in my original series.

Hm. One of my recent books has a line about hope being dangerous...
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline RobertS

• Builder
  • Personal Text, isn't that a bit personal?
    • View Profile
    • robertdavidstrawn.com
« Reply #10114 on: November 21, 2017, 12:58:48 PM »
Congradulations Eli!
I would rather look stupid today than be stupid tomorrow.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10115 on: November 21, 2017, 02:01:40 PM »

Hm. One of my recent books has a line about hope being dangerous...

"Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10116 on: November 22, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »
Thanks guys.

I sent this dude a reply email, and I'm still waiting for him to get back to me.

In unrelated news, today was a bit of a milestone: The first time this winter I had to get out the snow shovel to dislodge my car. Fun fun fun.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10117 on: November 29, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »
Was bidding on some hardbacks on ebay and lost out on most of them. Before they are hanged and last argument of kings sold for £60 odd pound each and a clash of kings with the original (horrible) American artwork for £40 I hate to think what Game Of Thrones or The Blade Itself command now and as I have a mix of hardbacks and paperback by both authors the chances of getting all hardbacks gets slimmer as time goes on.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10118 on: November 29, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »
^ gosh, so expensive!

I'm never that big a fan, the limit of my fandom is buying the hardcover at launch, hehe
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10119 on: November 29, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »
Either I checked in more recently than I thought, or it's super quiet over here.

I am officially an old person. I got hearing aids yesterday. I'm on a trial run with them right now. I have no idea if my insurance will cover it or not. Either I've been deaf this whole time, or these things are really loud. The first few hours after I got them, I was able to here walls, tree canopies above my head, tables... My echolocation has always been better than most, and maybe it used to be this good, but my brain is having to learn to filter new sounds out. I'm able to hear idoling cars better now, which is good. They've always sounded kind of distant. I thought they were all getting quieter over time. I know that's still happening, but not at the rate I thought. Wearing earbuds is kind of weird, but I'll get used to it I think. Everything sounds incredibly full of reverb. Maybe this is natural?

And the craziness of my life doesn't end there. Two more weeks and I'm done with my first semester of college. I just wrote a 6-page paper in an hour and a half that counts as a final exam grade. I have a holiday concert on Friday, which involved a 3-hour rehearsal yesterday and another one today. I have at least two papers to write this weekend, with a good amount of history reading to catch up on.

I got most of my Christmas shopping done last Friday, including buying the second-gen Amazon Echo for myself. It's pretty nice. Definitely a luxury, but nice. And I've had the chance to read books recently, although nothing Fantasy related. I've basically been reading textbooks about religion. Still interesting though.

I'll stop rambling now. I haven't caught up in here in a while, so figured I would dump a lot out now. Hope everyone is doing well!

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10120 on: November 29, 2017, 08:38:26 PM »
Either I checked in more recently than I thought, or it's super quiet over here.
It is...
And yay ultament, we love hearing about your adventures, hehe
Don't think you're old for the hearing aids, my ex had been using them since she was 16 or something. It does make a difference, and I'm glad you're noticing things more.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10121 on: November 29, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
@ultamentkiller better to have hearing aids than not and need them, however depressing the concept is. As for being officially an old person all I can say is  HA! Yeah but I still rage about not being 20 anymore and have done for nearly 30 years

@ScarletBea just had to ruin that 4900

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10122 on: November 29, 2017, 08:56:40 PM »
hehehe I had to think to understand the 4900 comment ;D

I realised I'm a 'nester', I need my nest, comfy and familiar. My house doesn't feel like home yet, and sometimes I notice myself thinking "I want to go home"...

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: November 30, 2017, 12:45:02 AM »
Congratulations @ultamentkiller on getting your hearing aids. What you are experiencing is completely normal, everything sounding too loud. Those tree leaves rustling like crazy and the toilet flush sounding like Niagara? The microwave is shouting and the spinner on the washing machine howling at you?  ;D

Here are a few comments I hope will be useful, but have just put in Spoiler because it ended up quite long. ;D

Spoiler for Hiden:
It does gradually get better but usually takes between four and six weeks to settle down fully. If it is still much too loud after that you may need to have the volume settings internally adjusted. I hope you are automatically booked in for a review with the audiologist after 6 weeks anyway as that is usual.

If you have not yet used the hearing aids in a big shopping complex it would be best if you make sure you are with someone else. That is probably one of the biggest noise shocks at first and may be very disorienting for you.

The reverb and echoing is increased by the material of the surroundings. The worst places are large areas with lots of tiles, because they do not have anything to absorb the sound such as carpets or curtains. That applies to most public places. Also in restaurants with tiles the cutlery clatters badly. Try and learn which have carpets or choose to sit in a carpeted area. Ask to sit in a corner if you can as the surrounding sound bounces back from both walls away from you; also request to sit furthest from any music speaker or  well away from a large group table.

I hope they have given you a few extra programmes to use. I have three, one for normal one on one, one for listening in a crowded place, where I can cut down on the background and another for public halls which have loop installed specially for HI (Hearing Impaired ) people. You can add some other programmes dependent on your lifestyle,  ie if  you address or attend big meetings, lectures etc or are a classroom teacher. But extra programmes cost more. I have managed fine with my three for years.

I didn't mean to overwhelm you with info, but used to train people in how to manage hearing loss and lecture others on how to make life easier for their customers/clients/employees with hearing loss and I do understand from my own experience the difficulty of getting used to hearing aids at the start. Not a case of "put them in and all is normal" at all. Please do not hesitate to DM if I can be of any further help or if you have particular questions.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:00:16 AM by Lady Ty »
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10124 on: December 01, 2017, 12:58:04 AM »
Congratulations @ultamentkiller on getting your hearing aids. What you are experiencing is completely normal, everything sounding too loud. Those tree leaves rustling like crazy and the toilet flush sounding like Niagara? The microwave is shouting and the spinner on the washing machine howling at you?  ;D

Here are a few comments I hope will be useful, but have just put in Spoiler because it ended up quite long. ;D

Spoiler for Hiden:
It does gradually get better but usually takes between four and six weeks to settle down fully. If it is still much too loud after that you may need to have the volume settings internally adjusted. I hope you are automatically booked in for a review with the audiologist after 6 weeks anyway as that is usual.

If you have not yet used the hearing aids in a big shopping complex it would be best if you make sure you are with someone else. That is probably one of the biggest noise shocks at first and may be very disorienting for you.

The reverb and echoing is increased by the material of the surroundings. The worst places are large areas with lots of tiles, because they do not have anything to absorb the sound such as carpets or curtains. That applies to most public places. Also in restaurants with tiles the cutlery clatters badly. Try and learn which have carpets or choose to sit in a carpeted area. Ask to sit in a corner if you can as the surrounding sound bounces back from both walls away from you; also request to sit furthest from any music speaker or  well away from a large group table.

I hope they have given you a few extra programmes to use. I have three, one for normal one on one, one for listening in a crowded place, where I can cut down on the background and another for public halls which have loop installed specially for HI (Hearing Impaired ) people. You can add some other programmes dependent on your lifestyle,  ie if  you address or attend big meetings, lectures etc or are a classroom teacher. But extra programmes cost more. I have managed fine with my three for years.

I didn't mean to overwhelm you with info, but used to train people in how to manage hearing loss and lecture others on how to make life easier for their customers/clients/employees with hearing loss and I do understand from my own experience the difficulty of getting used to hearing aids at the start. Not a case of "put them in and all is normal" at all. Please do not hesitate to DM if I can be of any further help or if you have particular questions.
Thank you very much for all of the advice. I didn't think about sitting in the corner, so I will definitely try that. My hearing aids barely fill my ear so they don't accidentally distort the directions of sound since that's very important for me. So I hear out of my ear, and I get the extra stuff from the microphones that give me more distance and echolocation. Unfortunately, this makes sitting next to my air conditioner a lot louder, especially with earbuds in.

I only have two programs, and they're both for masking my tinitis. The doctor said I should only have to adjust the volume if I'm in extremely loud environments, but that won't do incredibly much since I can hear pretty well without them in anyway. I'm not sure if I'm saying this right, but my hearing is at the 86% threshold? It's good enough that I could live without them, but I've noticed a big increase in the way I travel so it seems to matter a lot.