December 15, 2017, 04:39:08 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 108912 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1275 on: November 07, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »
Watching the 3rd season of defiance on DVD (only had it lying around for a year) apart from the idiot moral inconsistancies in it the actual sci-fi backstory makes this stand out from anything else of this ilk.

Online Skip

« Reply #1276 on: November 07, 2017, 06:26:21 PM »
Stranger Things 2, of course.
Which we started after binging on American Vandal. That's a great show with good actors and a brilliant premise. Nothing fantastical or SF about it, but one of the better series I've seen lately.
Visit Altearth

Offline BeardKing

« Reply #1277 on: November 07, 2017, 10:38:02 PM »
Went back to watching Vikings. It gets really good again after they stop focusing so much on the Parisians. Just watched episode 15 of season 4  :'(

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #1278 on: November 10, 2017, 02:26:22 AM »
Watching Stranger Things 2 - and it is every bit as good as the first season!
Second this! I'm on the end of episode 7 now, and I absolutely love it. My only problem has been, well, episode 7. It's more from a storytelling perspective than anything. It's a good episode plot, but sloppily integrated into the season. Other than that, awesome!

I'm really enjoying it too-- I give it an almost as good!

Yeah, Ep. 7 was the classic throwaway episode placed to prolong the tension of the climax-- it pisses me off when they do that in TV shows where you have to wait a week per episode, but a lot more tolerable on netflix.  ANd as much as I hate it, I've totally been guilty of breaking up my climaxes this way with the other-POV chapter right after the cliffhanger too.

They also sort of crammed El's character arc into 1 episode instead of spacing it over the series, where it would have had time to breathe and been more meaningful, but I think they're planning on using 8 in the next series so they wanted to do an exposition dump there too.

The thing that's really been irking me is that their cut-to-black, fade-in transitions are slightly too long.  You can do them long as a device, bringing sound in early, or emphasizing a pause, but EVERY one of them has got this awkward extra half-second that makes me feel like my monitor cut out again and it drives me crazy.  It makes me wanna smack the editor upside the head.  Other than that, the shows awesome!

Also, (only read this if you've already finished the series)
Spoiler for Hiden:
* Damn it why tf did they kill Bob?????  He's the underdog!!!
* I felt like the Barb stuff was fan service, and the Nancy-changes-bfs scene felt slightly off to me too, that whole sub-plot was meh for me
* I love that they found a new way to make the Byer's house creepy w/ crayons.  I wonder what they'll do to the house next season...
* I think my fav scene in the whole thing was the junkyard one when they realized there was a whole pack
Just finished it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah, the Bob thing got me. Here's a character you'll grow to like in a couple episodes. Bye-bye!Although, if no one had died throughout all of that, I would've been even more pissed so... I guess it was easier than killing one of the others?
The change from Steve to Jonathan made sense to me. I like Steve and Jonathan a lot, but her character just wasn't fitting right with him in my mind. Especially after everything her and Jonathan went through in Season 1.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1279 on: November 15, 2017, 05:40:25 AM »

1) How on EARTH did Pirates of the C: Dead Men Tell no Tales get a 60+% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes???  Seriously, it has to be the worst thing I've seen in a long time.
2) and how did the Dark Tower get a critic score of 16%??? I mean it wasn't great but come on.

I no longer have any faith in the taste of humanity.  But yeah I watched those two movies, and Pirates was really abysmally awful.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #1280 on: November 18, 2017, 01:45:57 AM »
Me and a friend were talking about Pirates last night. I still don't regret not watching it. Maybe someday...

The Punisher came out today! Fair warning. Not a lot of action in the beginning like you would expect, so it may seem slow. if I'm being honest, the whole thing so far is pretty slow. But I like the story, and I like the characters, so I'll keep going. Just finished episode 5.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1281 on: November 24, 2017, 11:38:58 PM »
Me and a friend were talking about Pirates last night. I still don't regret not watching it. Maybe someday...

The Punisher came out today! Fair warning. Not a lot of action in the beginning like you would expect, so it may seem slow. if I'm being honest, the whole thing so far is pretty slow. But I like the story, and I like the characters, so I'll keep going. Just finished episode 5.

I just finished The Punisher today. I really enjoyed it! Rating wise, I'd put it up with the first season of Daredevil. The plot was tight, the acting was great, and the characters acted in ways that make sense. I couldn't really point to anything that was done for plot convenience or any case where a character was written stupid to allow a plot twist, which has happened in a few other Marvel Netflix properties.

In addition, the gunfights and action scenes were top-notch. I was able to clearly follow how someone like Castle (or the other spec ops characters) could take down a superior number of opponents. I think the thing I enjoyed most is that they didn't make Castle a dumb grunt - there are multiple cases where he uses his intelligence and strategy to win a fight, and cases where the characters he was up against did the same. I thought it also did a good job of showing the emotional costs and toll that war takes in soldiers, even after the war is over.

So, if you're okay with brief bursts of hyper violence (and there *was* a lot of violence, and buckets of blood) I think you'll enjoy it. Like Ultamentkiller said, the show actually spends a great deal of time outside the action set pieces, where you can get to know the characters, what drives them, and see how the plot is developing.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1282 on: November 25, 2017, 04:15:02 AM »
@tebakutis I'm quite interested in picking up the series myself, but I've heard that it is rather slow and plodding in many places. Personally, the two seasons of Daredevil and the Defenders are the only marvel netflix series I've finished (got bored through half of Jessica Jones, was planning to get back to it but never does). From this history, would you recommend me to watch the Punisher? 

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1283 on: November 27, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »
@tebakutis I'm quite interested in picking up the series myself, but I've heard that it is rather slow and plodding in many places. Personally, the two seasons of Daredevil and the Defenders are the only marvel netflix series I've finished (got bored through half of Jessica Jones, was planning to get back to it but never does). From this history, would you recommend me to watch the Punisher?

Punisher is probably closer to season 1 of Daredevil than the others, in that it has a lot of brutal action interspersed with a good bit of character building. Rather than slow, I'd describe is a "slow burn" so based on what you've enjoyed so far, I think you'd enjoy it (again, with the caveat that parts are even more violent than the first and second seasons of Daredevil).
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Offline Rostum

« Reply #1284 on: November 29, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
Watched Dr.Horrible's Sing-Along Blog and greatly enjoyed it.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #1285 on: November 29, 2017, 08:13:55 PM »
I would give it a shot, but I haven't finished it still. If you got bored with Jessica Jones, you may not like this. It does take a while for everything to unfold. But when it does, it's worth it. At least so far. I'm not confident about how they'll handle the finale, since I've been disappointed with all of the other ones.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1286 on: November 29, 2017, 10:22:58 PM »
I'm not confident about how they'll handle the finale, since I've been disappointed with all of the other ones.

I was quite satisfied with the finale, particularly the denouement. I'd be curious how you feel about it when you finish the series.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1287 on: November 30, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »
I've watched the Avengers Infity war trailer yesterday and I'm just so hyped for this movie! Literal goosebumps level hype! I can't wait for May next year now.   *dances excitedly and talking abou avengers non-stop* :D

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1288 on: November 30, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »
I've watched the Avengers Infity war trailer yesterday and I'm just so hyped for this movie! Literal goosebumps level hype! I can't wait for May next year now.   *dances excitedly and talking abou avengers non-stop* :D

Yeah, gotta agree. That is a really well done trailer.

Offline Sgtwolf01

« Reply #1289 on: December 01, 2017, 03:28:42 AM »
So I've finally gotten around to seeing Rwby, four years after it has been released. And by 'gotten around to seeing' I really mean that I was binge watching over the last two days, managed to get through the first three volumes, plus chapter one of volume four.

Volume three was, intense to say the least. Won't give spoilers though. ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:32:13 AM by Sgtwolf01 »
This might get use one day, perhaps in another world. Hey I could probably turn that into a story! *rolls for skill check*