November 21, 2017, 07:17:49 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 107022 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1275 on: November 07, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »
Watching the 3rd season of defiance on DVD (only had it lying around for a year) apart from the idiot moral inconsistancies in it the actual sci-fi backstory makes this stand out from anything else of this ilk.

Offline Skip

« Reply #1276 on: November 07, 2017, 06:26:21 PM »
Stranger Things 2, of course.
Which we started after binging on American Vandal. That's a great show with good actors and a brilliant premise. Nothing fantastical or SF about it, but one of the better series I've seen lately.
Visit Altearth

Offline BeardKing

« Reply #1277 on: November 07, 2017, 10:38:02 PM »
Went back to watching Vikings. It gets really good again after they stop focusing so much on the Parisians. Just watched episode 15 of season 4  :'(

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #1278 on: November 10, 2017, 02:26:22 AM »
Watching Stranger Things 2 - and it is every bit as good as the first season!
Second this! I'm on the end of episode 7 now, and I absolutely love it. My only problem has been, well, episode 7. It's more from a storytelling perspective than anything. It's a good episode plot, but sloppily integrated into the season. Other than that, awesome!

I'm really enjoying it too-- I give it an almost as good!

Yeah, Ep. 7 was the classic throwaway episode placed to prolong the tension of the climax-- it pisses me off when they do that in TV shows where you have to wait a week per episode, but a lot more tolerable on netflix.  ANd as much as I hate it, I've totally been guilty of breaking up my climaxes this way with the other-POV chapter right after the cliffhanger too.

They also sort of crammed El's character arc into 1 episode instead of spacing it over the series, where it would have had time to breathe and been more meaningful, but I think they're planning on using 8 in the next series so they wanted to do an exposition dump there too.

The thing that's really been irking me is that their cut-to-black, fade-in transitions are slightly too long.  You can do them long as a device, bringing sound in early, or emphasizing a pause, but EVERY one of them has got this awkward extra half-second that makes me feel like my monitor cut out again and it drives me crazy.  It makes me wanna smack the editor upside the head.  Other than that, the shows awesome!

Also, (only read this if you've already finished the series)
Spoiler for Hiden:
* Damn it why tf did they kill Bob?????  He's the underdog!!!
* I felt like the Barb stuff was fan service, and the Nancy-changes-bfs scene felt slightly off to me too, that whole sub-plot was meh for me
* I love that they found a new way to make the Byer's house creepy w/ crayons.  I wonder what they'll do to the house next season...
* I think my fav scene in the whole thing was the junkyard one when they realized there was a whole pack
Just finished it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah, the Bob thing got me. Here's a character you'll grow to like in a couple episodes. Bye-bye!Although, if no one had died throughout all of that, I would've been even more pissed so... I guess it was easier than killing one of the others?
The change from Steve to Jonathan made sense to me. I like Steve and Jonathan a lot, but her character just wasn't fitting right with him in my mind. Especially after everything her and Jonathan went through in Season 1.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1279 on: November 15, 2017, 05:40:25 AM »

1) How on EARTH did Pirates of the C: Dead Men Tell no Tales get a 60+% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes???  Seriously, it has to be the worst thing I've seen in a long time.
2) and how did the Dark Tower get a critic score of 16%??? I mean it wasn't great but come on.

I no longer have any faith in the taste of humanity.  But yeah I watched those two movies, and Pirates was really abysmally awful.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #1280 on: November 18, 2017, 01:45:57 AM »
Me and a friend were talking about Pirates last night. I still don't regret not watching it. Maybe someday...

The Punisher came out today! Fair warning. Not a lot of action in the beginning like you would expect, so it may seem slow. if I'm being honest, the whole thing so far is pretty slow. But I like the story, and I like the characters, so I'll keep going. Just finished episode 5.