September 21, 2017, 06:40:15 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 103110 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1200 on: August 08, 2017, 08:51:57 PM »
 :P
If there's a specific thread we should use it, don't you think?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: August 08, 2017, 08:56:53 PM »
Well don't spoil season one episode one for me.
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #1202 on: August 08, 2017, 09:58:42 PM »
I'm currently re-watching Full Metal Jousting. None of that theatrical jousting here, this is proper jousting. Oof just seen a double unhorsing after a brutal clash, and the previous episode had two groin injuries 0_o
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://cameronjohnston.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #1203 on: August 09, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »
Can I just ask to keep the GoT comments on its specific thread?
I've only just watched the episode, but I almost caught a spoiler earlier in here :-\ (while I know not to go to the thread before watching it)
Hear hear!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1204 on: August 10, 2017, 06:43:04 AM »
Can I just ask to keep the GoT comments on its specific thread?
I've only just watched the episode, but I almost caught a spoiler earlier in here :-\ (while I know not to go to the thread before watching it)
Hear hear!

This. *screams and plugs in my ears trying to avoid the spoilers*
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 14, 2017, 01:54:49 AM »
Well  by now most of you have seen the film Notting Hill or are too young to have even heard of it, but just in case I'll put this in spoilers, so if you haven't seen it, don't open them. In any case it is meant specially for @Jmack and @Atku
Spoiler for Hiden:
I was too lazy to get up and go to bed recently and watched a late night run of Notting Hill, and immediately thought of you. Chagall's painting plays a significant part and I loved it and the quote. Atku,start practising right now.

Happiness isn't happiness without a violin playing goat

Dwarfs were said to be the keenest of financial negotiators, second only in acumen and effrontery to little old ladies.
Soul Music - Terry Pratchett

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1206 on: August 14, 2017, 08:58:02 AM »
Well  by now most of you have seen the film Notting Hill or are too young to have even heard of it, but just in case I'll put this in spoilers, so if you haven't seen it, don't open them. In any case it is meant specially for

I loved the film and have watched it at least twice now, I think. It's one of my favorite romantic comedy films of all time for sure.  :D

“Don’t forget I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.” 
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Online Yora

« Reply #1207 on: August 14, 2017, 03:59:06 PM »
I watched Throne of Blood yesterday, and found it to be the weakest Kurosawa movie I've seen so far. There's a lot of similarities to Ran, which in hindsight feels a lot like an attempt to remake Throne of Blood as a much better movie. While it was made some years after The Seven Samurai, I think it's really considerably weaker. It feels less like a movie adaptation of McBeth than a recording of an outdoor performance with a huge stage.
I have to say I didn't like it and I don't recommend watching it.  :-\
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline Smonin

« Reply #1208 on: August 15, 2017, 11:31:03 AM »
Game of Thrones is the only thing I watch regularly. I'd rather read than watch television most of the time.

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 20, 2017, 09:38:01 PM »
Today I started watching "Outlander" - just 2 episodes in, but I think I'll enjoy it!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #1210 on: August 20, 2017, 10:35:53 PM »
Just watched The Defenders episode 1. Good start. Now if only I can find time to watch the rest of them...

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1211 on: August 21, 2017, 04:37:07 AM »
I watched part of King Arthur.  It was sort of like the sister movie to Gods of Egypt where you're like... uhhh, what is this?

Executive: I love this fantasy script!  But we need to market it more broadly.  Lets change the MC's name to Arthur and call it King Arthur.

Writer: Ummmm, but this has nothing to do with the Arthurian legend.  It's high-testosterone post-apocalyptic military fiction.

Executive: It's got a sword in it, right?

Writer: Well...

Executive: Alright then just change some names.  You can make the magic girl Merlin, but keep her a girl and make her hot.  Dudes like to see hot girls not old men.  Speaking of which lets raise King Arthur in a brothel.  I want this to be like 300 but blonder.

Writer: But that's not how the...  Okay sounds good.

Anyway, like Gods of Egypt I think it would have been a better movie if they had just left the legends out of it and made it's own thing... because that's what it was.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1212 on: August 21, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »
I watched part of King Arthur.  It was sort of like the sister movie to Gods of Egypt where you're like... uhhh, what is this?

Executive: I love this fantasy script!  But we need to market it more broadly.  Lets change the MC's name to Arthur and call it King Arthur.

Writer: Ummmm, but this has nothing to do with the Arthurian legend.  It's high-testosterone post-apocalyptic military fiction.

Executive: Alright then just change some names.  You can make the magic girl Merlin, but keep her a girl and make her hot.  Dudes like to see hot girls not old men.  Speaking of which lets raise King Arthur in a brothel.  I want this to be like 300 but blonder.

Anyway, like Gods of Egypt I think it would have been a better movie if they had just left the legends out of it and made it's own thing... because that's what it was.

Gods of Egypth. Now that is one of the blandest movie I have ever saw, despite Gerad Butler and Jaime Lannister from Games of Thrones. I've just watched The Great Wall yesterday, and even if that wasn't splendid, it's certainly better than Gods of Egypt.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1213 on: August 22, 2017, 04:32:20 AM »

Gods of Egypth. Now that is one of the blandest movie I have ever saw, despite Gerad Butler and Jaime Lannister from Games of Thrones. I've just watched The Great Wall yesterday, and even if that wasn't splendid, it's certainly better than Gods of Egypt.

Hahaha, I forgot about the Great Wall.  All three of those should be a trilogy... not sure what that trilogy should be called but I think the series should have WTF in the title.

Maybe: "Gods of Egypt.  The Great Wall. King Arthur. Movies about legends in much the same way ancient aliens is about history."

Or: "Gods of Egypt.  The Great Wall. King Arthur. Old names to describe shit we made up yesterday."

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #1214 on: August 22, 2017, 06:42:03 AM »

Hahaha, I forgot about the Great Wall.  All three of those should be a trilogy... not sure what that trilogy should be called but I think the series should have WTF in the title.

Maybe: "Gods of Egypt.  The Great Wall. King Arthur. Movies about legends in much the same way ancient aliens is about history."

Or: "Gods of Egypt.  The Great Wall. King Arthur. Old names to describe shit we made up yesterday."
Not really surprising that King Arthur was made by Guy Ritchie. It was really one of his older films (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch) but just rather inconveniently set in a pre industrial age. Totally wasted the talents of Charlie Hunnam, too.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com