March 20, 2018, 07:59:56 AM

Author Topic: What comic book are you reading?  (Read 12427 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: What comic book are you reading?
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2018, 10:41:35 PM »
I'm just about the start reading volume 1 of Constantine: The Hellblazer.
Now, I am a huge fan of the original Hellblazer series by Vertigo. I have it all. I tried the Constantine reboot sticking him into the DC universe properly and it was watered down beyond all but lip service. Awful. This new series has been recommended to me as more like the originals, so we shall see.

Is this any good?  We have a couple volumes where I work, but I haven't wanted to touch them because I was so disappointed by the end few volumes of original Hellblazer, and just disgusted by Justice League Dark and the like...  Sure the old times can't come back, but when even John Constantine is transmuted into schlock, what's the point in continuing?

Meanwhile in comics, I recently finished Exlibrium by Natalya Devova (interesting ideas -- wizards who track down rogue literary characters -- but a mediocre translation), Welcome Back v.1 by Christopher Sebela (again, interesting -- constantly reincarnating destined-enemy assassins, IN LOVE! -- but I don't know if I'm hooked), and The Witcher: House of Glass, by Paul Tobin, which despite never having played The Witcher, I really enjoyed.

Missed this. Constantine: The Hellblazer is a return to form. Devious and nasty John is back. Shame it's only 2 volumes.

Preorders help an author more than you think!

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
Re: What comic book are you reading?
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »
Finally read Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison and illustrated by Dave McKean.  One of those graphic novels that you need to read twice to appreciate and read the script by Grant Morrison. I love Dave McKean's illustrations, he is a unique talent.

Then my first proper fantasy read in a while. The first two volumes of Geis by Alexis Deacon.  Thoroughly recommend to all fantasy fans - even if you don't usually read comics.  A chief matriarch dies leaving no heir and a contest begins to decide the new ruler. Except the matriarch has made a deal with an evil sorceress that uses death magic and all 50 claimants now are bound by geis into a contest where the sorceress will claim all their lives except the winner. It is set in a beautiful fantasy world with some awesome characters and concepts.
The Real Powers That Be