December 12, 2017, 08:16:56 AM

Author Topic: How did you Choose your Nickname?  (Read 28870 times)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: How did you Choose your Nickname?
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »
Could've sworn I had replied to this thread. Oh well.

It's taken from my first RPG character, Doc. He's a doctor. And I needed something vaguely resembling my username at the time (C.Hill) so I stuck the words together and hoped for the best.

I always thought that your nick was about... you know... "chill" and all that marijuana stuff. I even imagined you as a rastafarian actually.

Silly me.

This just made my day. ;D
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2016, 11:21:16 PM »
Die Träume des Jonathan Jabbok? I read it and it wasn't bad but it was a bit too much Christian fantasy for my taste. ;)

Yep, exactly! If I read it now, I don't think I'd love it. But I read it when I was 10 or 11 - and it was my absolute favorite back then (though some few scenes had me to my eyes even then...).
I read and reread it again and again until I was 16. ;) And that is why it sticks with me even now - this series and "Die Prophezeiung" by Hohlbein made me the fantasy addict I am today. (and I though Isau holds up better than Hohlbein - tried to reread some of his lately - not even nostalgia helped  ;D )

Offline Shay_Fox

• Builder
  • I am me loving and caring.. I love to making since
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2016, 09:10:38 PM »
Well what i say about my nick, its really funny for me and its funny to related things with that nick. When i was in high school, i was too shy. Even i don't talk with anyone. Then i had a friend who call me shy, and fox you all know what's the meaning to fox. The story behind fox is every one called me clever girl, and i was. So i decided to take my nick shayfox.   ;) :D

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2016, 09:23:47 PM »
Die Träume des Jonathan Jabbok? I read it and it wasn't bad but it was a bit too much Christian fantasy for my taste. ;)

Yep, exactly! If I read it now, I don't think I'd love it. But I read it when I was 10 or 11 - and it was my absolute favorite back then (though some few scenes had me to my eyes even then...).
I read and reread it again and again until I was 16. ;) And that is why it sticks with me even now - this series and "Die Prophezeiung" by Hohlbein made me the fantasy addict I am today. (and I though Isau holds up better than Hohlbein - tried to reread some of his lately - not even nostalgia helped  ;D )
Somehow missed this, sorry! Yes, I'm deeply disappointed by Hohlbein. He's highly overrated and most of his books have the same formula. I stopped reading him when I recognized nearly hundred pages of one book were copy and pasted (with names changed) into another book. Can you believe it? I confronted him on a signing over ten years ago and he said something about files got mixed up on the computer but really, somebody had to notice. His Witcher of Salem books are quite good if you like lovecraftian horror. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2016, 09:35:46 PM »
Oh dear...  :o I never noticed that! And I read all his books when I was a teenager... Even the really bad ones like Intruder. My best Hohlbein story is me having one of his books where they obviously didn't proofread the layout at all, as the spine says "Wolfgagng Hoglbein"  ???

Offline shieldfire

« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2017, 04:51:22 AM »
Well, Shieldfire is sort of my family name. Not in English of course, but in Swedish. So that limits the possible culprits to about 300 people, then you have to guess. You'll get it some day I guess.
Also known by Chimbis, which is a play on the family (not our family, but the larger one) Archimboldus. Mum said
- Never, ever, ever will he be called that,
so of course her sister called me Chimbis. I look like a Chimbis she said.

Offline Skip

« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »
Zommmbie threadddds

I didn't choose my nickname--which is not only my handle here but my actual nickname. I was born Ellis. My uncle (who was named Vernon but who was always called Bud), was at the hospital and heard the name and loudly declared that he wouldn't call the baby "Ellis" he would call him "Skipper."

And he did. And it stuck.

It took a while for me to learn that "skipper" meant the captain of a ship and not just someone who skips around, and I thought that was pretty good. As a child, Ellis was too uncomfortably close to Alice, so I was cool with Skip.

Once I started learning languages, I liked the name even better. The word comes from two words, schiff and herr -- literally, the master of the ship. Which latter word derives from schiff by way of Dutch, schip. How "skiff" managed to make its way into English as well is obscure to me. Maybe in my research I skipped a step. *groan*

Anyway, thanks Uncle Bud.