August 21, 2017, 05:32:48 AM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 159534 times)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #1290 on: July 27, 2017, 04:01:54 PM »
Welcome Chirpy - an adorable handle. The forum's sort of damaged right now so we're missing our favorite thing: the "LIKE" button. But our people are working through the issues as they can. Meanwhile, tell us about yourself. Where do you live? Are you a reader, a writer, or both?
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ChirpyAnn

« Reply #1291 on: July 27, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »
I'm NEW! Hello.  :) I found my way here through the Facebook group. Can't wait to dig in!

My name's Ann Swaim. I'm a reader and a writer. My favorite thing I've read recently is The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson.

Hello!

We are better looking then the Facebook members and  are more sophisticated  and a bit mad, you fit right in.

WOOT! Thanks! Here's where I self-deprecate and say "At least I fit in somewhere." :P But seriously, glad to be here. :)

Welcome Chirpy - an adorable handle. The forum's sort of damaged right now so we're missing our favorite thing: the "LIKE" button. But our people are working through the issues as they can. Meanwhile, tell us about yourself. Where do you live? Are you a reader, a writer, or both?

Thanks for the welcome!

I've been noticing the woes over the missing "Like" button. xD

About me? I'm in Iowa, been here, doomed to be here, my whole life. LOL I'm a reader and a writer, but haven't been my whole life. It's been a development in the last couple of years and I'm loving it! Makes this Iowa humidity a bit more bearable ;)
“Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.”
- Frank Herbert, Dune

https://www.facebook.com/annswaimauthor/

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 28, 2017, 07:13:42 AM »
Hello and welcome to the FORUM @ChirpyAnn - the Like button came back just as you arrived, has to be a good omen. ;D
Dwarfs were said to be the keenest of financial negotiators, second only in acumen and effrontery to little old ladies.
Soul Music - Terry Pratchett

Offline ChirpyAnn

« Reply #1293 on: July 28, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »
Hello and welcome to the FORUM @ChirpyAnn - the Like button came back just as you arrived, has to be a good omen. ;D

Well that's amazing!  ;D
“Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.”
- Frank Herbert, Dune

Offline Stew Hotston

« Reply #1294 on: July 30, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »
Hi all,

newbie here - Stew. Writer and (big) reader. Love all kinds of fiction as long as it's well written. Favourite genre authors right now are Vandermeer, Mieville and Roberts. I also love Erikson but I also read a huge amount of non-genre fiction and, tbh, hate the term 'genre' as a good story is a good story.

Stew

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1295 on: August 07, 2017, 09:10:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum @Stew Hotston !

Writer and (big) reader.

I think you found the right place man.  There's a lot of discussion (errrr... debate?) in the Writer's Corner on the craft of writing.

tbh, hate the term 'genre' as a good story is a good story.

True words.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #1296 on: August 08, 2017, 02:28:39 AM »
Welcome Stew!
tbh, hate the term 'genre' as a good story is a good story.

Writers lay their works down, and genres keep those who need to keep to predictable paths from straying too far from their comfort zone, like the flags at the edges of ski runs - they're for the skiers, not the storms that drop snow  8)
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 08, 2017, 03:16:45 AM »
Welcome @Stew Hotston, glad to see another Mieville reader,  although I do sometimes struggle with the sheer misery of his worlds.  ;)

Check out our Monthly Writing Contest thread, it's fun friendly and new writers are very welcome.
Dwarfs were said to be the keenest of financial negotiators, second only in acumen and effrontery to little old ladies.
Soul Music - Terry Pratchett

Offline ChirpyAnn

« Reply #1298 on: August 10, 2017, 04:52:22 AM »
Hi all,

newbie here - Stew. Writer and (big) reader. Love all kinds of fiction as long as it's well written. Favourite genre authors right now are Vandermeer, Mieville and Roberts. I also love Erikson but I also read a huge amount of non-genre fiction and, tbh, hate the term 'genre' as a good story is a good story.

Stew

Welcome!
- Frank Herbert, Dune