February 23, 2018, 12:37:04 PM

Author Topic: [Feb 2018] - WASIASGYNDL - Discussion Thread  (Read 1422 times)

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Feb 2018] - WASIASGYNDL - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 05:11:35 PM »
I wanted to write a lovey-dovey love story with a good ending, but the mention of militaristic romance titillates my fancy as well. I think there is a lot of good opportunity in there. Plus there is a military idea I've been wanting to explore for a while.
So maybe I'll go for that as well. Just hoping next month won't be a romantic topic.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2018, 09:19:10 PM »
Just hoping next month won't be a romantic topic.
Erotic isn't necessarily romantic. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2018, 09:48:44 PM »
@Jmack your submission left me awestruck. I am touched that you would remember, let alone use a story of mine as a source. We have typically eschewed lavishing praise while the contest is live, but it is a huge compliment and I couldn't not say something. My praise will more substantive once the entries and voting are done; for now, I'll just say I am moved and impressed along multiple fronts. :-[
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2018, 10:10:01 PM »
Just hoping next month won't be a romantic topic.
Erotic isn't necessarily romantic. ;)

Don't even try. I already wrote a four hand erotica piece, it scarred my soul. Meaning I'll have no shame and go all out to win an erotica themed month!!  ;D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Venandiaer

• Coreling
  • Fantasy reader, watcher, and trying to be writer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 06:59:36 AM »
I thought I came up with an idea for this month... but then it slowly warped as I wrote, until it just became akin to what I normally write. Writing something unfamiliar is a lot harder than I expected.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 08:33:19 PM »
I hate military and romance--  now I'm really wondering what a military romance would look like...
oh god, my brain is throwing up inside my head just thinking about it.
"Is that a Mark XIX grenade launcher in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 12:14:05 AM »
I hate military and romance--  now I'm really wondering what a military romance would look like...
oh god, my brain is throwing up inside my head just thinking about it.
"Is that a Mark XIX grenade launcher in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
"Last night really blew me away."

Offline ryanmcgowan

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 07:55:59 AM »
Struggling with this months theme, i’m Not sure there’s a sub genre I hate or wouldn’t at least give a try.  Does it have to fall within fantasy? I don’t read crime at all so could maybe try and stretch in that direction...
It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.

Online ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 08:16:27 AM »
Does it have to fall within fantasy? I don’t read crime at all so could maybe try and stretch in that direction...
Sorry, yes, fantasy or SF.
What about a crime in space? ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2018, 09:35:42 AM »
Struggling with this months theme, i’m Not sure there’s a sub genre I hate or wouldn’t at least give a try.  Does it have to fall within fantasy? I don’t read crime at all so could maybe try and stretch in that direction...

Why focus on a genre you hate? You can do one you don't do often, but go outside your usual comfort zone by writing in present tense, or first or second person... or making it a journal, an exchange of letters, stuff you'd not normally do.

Online ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 09:50:38 AM »

Why focus on a genre you hate? You can do one you don't do often, but go outside your usual comfort zone by writing in present tense, or first or second person... or making it a journal, an exchange of letters, stuff you'd not normally do.
Actually this also works.
@xiagan and I just wanted to take people out of their comfort zone this month, challenge the little writing bone (right?)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 12:24:32 PM »
@xiagan and I just wanted to take people out of their comfort zone this month, challenge the little writing bone (right?)

Writing anything takes me out of my comfort zone :p.

Anyway! In my quest to write a lighter story with a happy ending, I first imagined a cheesy Conan inspired piece where the barbarian is an intelligent pacifist, the wizard is a kung-fu master, the thief is charitable, and the archer likes to stab things and, needless to say, everybody dies...
 I then moved on to some space drama about a galactic hauler who dreams of being a hero from various stories he's read while he's floating between star systems, only to get a chance to be the actual hero, goes in guns blazing... and gets blown up immediately...
 Which then mutated into a series of shorts about the adventures of a group of 'heroes' and their idiot Zapf Brannigan inspired leader, where it turns out they're actually crooks who rob their fans blind while everybody's lapping up the buffoonish antics of their incompetent boss (no real life parody there, I'm sure!)
 And then in despair I tapped in inspirational stories on google and found a 50 word short story I'm inspired to expand into a full blown fairy tale... and it actually has a happy ending!

So there's the short story of my quest to find a short story. Roll on theme's that are more specific! Like, kimodo dragon month!
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline ryanmcgowan

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2018, 04:52:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice! Am not sure i’ve Ever written anything hard SciFi so I think i’ll Try something in that direction  :)
It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2018, 12:35:25 AM »
So, decided against my initial instinct for a romance, and went for a light-hearted romp instead, where the main 'out of the comfort zone element', besides the fact that it's more humoristic than anything, is that it's entirely dialogue.
Nothing but lines of dialogue without indicators or third person descriptions.
I've gone on with my current interest in magic otherwise.

Everything is put down, but I have to seriously edit it to a fine polish.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:37:03 AM by Nora »

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »
*double post excuses*

All done and posted! Rather pleased to be done early this month. And sad to report, though it was entirely new to me, it wasn't exactly out of my comfort zone, because there was no discomfort. Hold that thought. The humour took me a bit out. I can't tell if it's funny to others. Or if the voices are unique enough, since I'm not tremendous at dialogue either.... So it's more worrisome than uncomfortable.
But I enjoyed the experience!