January 17, 2018, 08:09:57 PM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 118141 times)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #2070 on: January 06, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »
@Eli_Freysson, I must picture you younger than you are (or you look very young in the photos,you share with us). Trying to imagine today’s “20-something” Eli of my imagination changing nappies 18 years ago when he was a little tyke and his sisters were... negative 15?

But in case, a toast to you for the funding and thumbs up for the work!

@ScarletBea   :'(
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Peat

« Reply #2071 on: January 06, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
Jmacksdotter is here for the holiday/January break and brought her sweet kitty, Bagheera. Bags likes to scratch our living room furniture. All thoughts of Bags staying with us this summer while Dotter is in Italy as part of Masters program are no longer good thoughts.

She should have a dog. Then I’d happily watch the critter.

Tell her to get a pet passport and take Baggy with her. American cats in Europe are all the rage.
Why does Europe like American cats?

Because my wife brought her cat with her and all my friends love his adorable little ass.

Some might say that generalising this into Europe liking American cats goes a little far, but not me :P
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: January 06, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
Some might say that generalising this into Europe liking American cats goes a little far, but not me :P

I wasn’t even aware there was an “American cats” thing.
I mean, they’re cats... right?

(And for,those keep score at home, see how I,avoided a run-on quotation pyramid thing?  :))
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: January 06, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »
(And for,those keep score at home, see how I,avoided a run-on quotation pyramid thing?  :))

Sighs fondly, remembering some awe-inspiringly magnificent pyramids we built long, long ago. ;)
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2074 on: January 06, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »
Jmack, I think Elí's around 34 ;D

Edit: he's 35! Hint, check his profile hehe
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:46:23 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2075 on: January 06, 2018, 05:38:53 PM »
@Eli_Freysson, I must picture you younger than you are (or you look very young in the photos,you share with us). Trying to imagine today’s “20-something” Eli of my imagination changing nappies 18 years ago when he was a little tyke and his sisters were... negative 15?

But in case, a toast to you for the funding and thumbs up for the work!

Edit: he's 35! Hint, check his profile hehe

Yes, yes I am. And now I'm caught between feeling flattered and worrying that I come across as immature.  :)

But thanks guys.

And I hope you're feeling better, Bea.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #2076 on: January 06, 2018, 11:02:56 PM »
I know for me, I thought you were around my age since you're at a university. Nothing to do with your behavior.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2077 on: January 07, 2018, 11:17:25 AM »
I know for me, I thought you were around my age since you're at a university. Nothing to do with your behavior.

Icelanders quite frequently get advanced education later in life. It's about the only thing that's cheap over here.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2078 on: January 09, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »
I assume this is now my new normal.... :-\

A new documentary series started on BBC2 this week, about the daily life of surgeons at the Birmingham hospital. In this episode they followed 2 long surgeries, and one of them was about a woman who had been treated for the 'basic' form of breast cancer, and to prevent it coming back she decided to have a double mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time.
It bugged me, it made me feel unconfortable, I couldn't detach myself from the image of the surgery and think this was someone else. It made me feel sad, in general.
I watched it 1 hour ago and I'm still not ok....
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2079 on: January 09, 2018, 09:43:47 PM »
I thought I'd drop this story off at some very appropriate moment, but that moment sure is keeping me waiting so I'm just going to tell it:

A little under a year ago I took part in the "Big Science Trip", a four-day bus trip of university students to Reykjavík, where we stay in a hotel and visit various interesting businesses and organisations. And... well... drink pretty much all day every day.

The last item one day was to visit the Dale Carnegie institute. After a lecture introducing it we were divided into 5-person groups and given an assignment: We had to come up with something positive to say about everyone else in the group, and write down on little notes. I knew two of my group-mates pretty well and so had no trouble coming up with positives. I didn't know the other two at all, but I managed it. I can't remember what exactly I managed, as I was quite drunk, but it worked out.

Then it turned out the next part was for us to take turns sitting in front of the others in the group, while they took turns reading their positive notes about us. It was an odd mix of awkward and ego-boost.

Afterwards we got to keep the notes pertaining to us, and I stuck mine in my wallet.

A couple of weeks later, in Akureyri, they were still in my wallet, when I joined a few dozen fellow students at a pizza place/bar. After a few drinks and some chat about the "science" trip, it got revealed that everybody still had their notes on them.

It was a good reminder that a desire for approval and positivity are a universal human trait. We all want the people around us to think well of us.

(And yes, those notes are STILL in my wallet...)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2080 on: January 10, 2018, 01:13:42 AM »
I assume this is now my new normal.... :-\

A new documentary series started on BBC2 this week, about the daily life of surgeons at the Birmingham hospital. In this episode they followed 2 long surgeries, and one of them was about a woman who had been treated for the 'basic' form of breast cancer, and to prevent it coming back she decided to have a double mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time.
It bugged me, it made me feel unconfortable, I couldn't detach myself from the image of the surgery and think this was someone else. It made me feel sad, in general.
I watched it 1 hour ago and I'm still not ok....

I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better soon. This is still new to you, perhaps? Being a survivor, I mean, someone who has faced a long, harrowing thing. In time, if you're at all like myself, you'll still have these moments but they'll seem smaller and briefer. They will happen less often and impact you less. I say this for two reasons, neither of which is of any use in the moment. The first is, worrying about it feeds the beast, while calm acceptance takes the fangs from the snake, so to speak. The second is, their continued occurrence isn't important and won't have any lasting effect. I hope you find a nice book to lose yourself in until you're feeling better.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: January 10, 2018, 02:33:14 AM »
@Eli_Freysson: I love it when you confirm my image of Icelandic education as something akin to constant inebriation. (But what a lovely story.)

@ScarletBea: I can totally see why that program would be riveting but disturbing. Just remember: you survived and you continue to survive by the grace of your doctors, your heart, and fortune/God/fish. Yes, the new normal. Until it’s not.

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2082 on: January 11, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »
(this should go on the non-fantasy books, but no one ever reads that, and it's very much about help...)

I'd read a few of Richard Templar's Rules books, so when I was in the library last week and saw this one, I brought it home.
It's called "The rules of people", it's his latest one, and it's super!

It feels like a friend telling you those things you already know but never put into practice, yet they make your life and relationships so much better!

I was actually looking for this book in portuguese to give to my dad, but it hasn't been translated yet - he definitely could use the learning!!! ::) ;D

Better than me giving a few examples, check the 'look inside' feature here.