January 17, 2018, 08:09:32 PM

Author Topic: Kaspersky says 'malicious threat' for this domain?  (Read 189 times)

Offline Adrian_Selby

• Soulfinder
  • Author of Snakewood, Producer at Boss Alien
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
Kaspersky says 'malicious threat' for this domain?
« on: January 13, 2018, 10:42:22 AM »
Hi, Kaspersky has recently started blocking this domain (not this forum though) for having a trojan horse. I'm posting here in case anyone else has had this and whether there is a problem or not?

Thanks
Adrian

Offline Rostum

Re: Kaspersky says 'malicious threat' for this domain?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:17:57 AM »
I would suggest a false positive as no one has complained of any issues as a result of being here, as far as I know. That said I get insecure warnings from logging in and accessing certain sections of the site.

Offline Adrian_Selby

• Soulfinder
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 02:05:27 PM »
ok thanks.

It seems to be flagging the favicon.ico telling me it's an object called HEUR.Trojan.Script.Generic.

When I did a search on the object, a Kaspersky tech guy, in relation to a webpage another user was having similar trouble with, said it wasn't a false positive and linked most of the nefarious script to back it up.

Could be a different thing entirely this (i.e. different script same message), but guess it's one for the admin to choose to do something or not.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:11:08 PM by Adrian_Selby »

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:02:30 AM »
I don't trust Kaspersky. At all.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 05:21:01 AM »
Have had Not Secure  notification coming up on Forum for months on laptop, but nothing blocked and not on phone or ipad when using it there,so I ignored it. Run just about all Norton offers so not worried.
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline Adrian_Selby

• Soulfinder
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »
Can I ask why not Gem Cutter? Is it the Russian thing?

BTW, great that Norton and others don't get this issue, suggests it is a false positive in this case.

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »
Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, all the popular ones -- I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them (which isn't far because they are digital :D ). They love flagging stuff so that they seem like they're doing their job.

I use Windows Defender. It does the same job without bothering you about it. It's enough, in my humble opinion. I've run without any kind of additional protection for over a decade. The only time I got in trouble was when I put myself in it by being careless. And there's no anti-virus that cures that. :)
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »
We have been quietly removing Kaspersky from all US Gov't systems for a while now. In totally unrelated (totally related) news, the now-indicted former head of the DIA (the agency that identified potential risks with them) went to work for ... Kaspersky, for a little while, until he so briefly joined the Trump administration.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell