April 21, 2018, 04:58:29 AM

Author Topic: What did you read in January? Come share your list and and what you thought  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What did you read in January? Come share your list and and what you thought
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 10:57:36 PM »
Abracadaver - Laura Resnick.  I mostly enjoy these books, usually for the peripheral characters in Esther's world.  Like Elfy said, you can read these easily in a day, and they're a lot of fun.

Bellwether - Connie Willis.  I was in the mood for some fun & light reading, and I liked her bits of fads research at the start of each chapter.  This is the 3rd or 4th time I've read this one.

To Say Nothing of the Dog - Connie Willis.  The lightest of the Oxford Books by far, I still felt like something light and amusing to read.

The first three of Gervase Phinn's autobiographical Dales series.  We listened to the first volume of this on our bus trip and Elfy bought me the set of 5 books for Christmas.  They're a lot of fun, and remind me a lot of the Vet books by James Herriot, except with schools & small children instead of animals  ;D
Doesn't Godfrey's moustache qualify as an animal?
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline The_Wanderer

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 03:09:09 AM »
Dune - This was the best "Classic" book I read.  It was moment after moment of "so that's where that came from."

The Just City - This was the best "New in 2015" book I read. If you like philosophy, great writing, and thought-provoking stories that make you question the going-ons in the world, then this is right up your alley.
Writing about and reviewing everything fantasy and science fiction at http://atg-reviews.com/

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 11:06:32 AM »
Dune - This was the best "Classic" book I read.  It was moment after moment of "so that's where that came from."
As in, those stupid earth digging worms in Jackson's Battle of the Five Armies.  They come springing out of the ground and I could only think Dune!  Is there a Tolkien expert among to say if JRR left any hint that there's spice in Middle Earth?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
As those of you who follow me on Twitter may have realised I have been (and still am) very ill so my reading is a bit sporadic as there are days when I am just too tired to pick up a book :(

So, only two books read in January:

Lamentation by C J Sansom - This is the sixth in a series of mystery books set in the time of Henry VIII. While not fantasy they have that fantasy feel.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell - One of my Christmas presents. I really enjoyed this. Six interconnecting stories. Two stories were set in the future, one involving clones so very sci-fi. One story was set in the 60s/70s and was a classic thriller. I watched the film afterwards as well and enjoyed that too. The "clone" story was set in Seoul and felt very much like Bladerunner.
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline ultamentkiller

re: Quote your first post you ever did  
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 11:18:40 PM »
I went straight into talking about books, thinking people cared about what I read without knowing me very well.

I hope this posts right.
Uh... Oops? I'm not good at this apparently. Sorry. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Hi.
The Rule of Thoughts by James Dashner.
This book was amazing. Not only do I love the Virtual Reality concept of this series, but it has wonderful confrontations throughout the book, as well as an awesome plot twist as the end. The Mortality Doctrine series has secured Dashner as my second favorite author.
Gunner Scale by James Dashner.
This is a quick 30-page Prequel to the Mortality Doctrine, and I'm surprised that even for a short story, it managed to shock me at the end.
The First 3 Mortal Instruments Books: City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass.
When I started this series, I thought it was pretty good. I was disappointed that guns hadn't been integrated into this magical world, but it wasn't a huge deal. The second book was full of nice little plot twists. Nothing too surprising, but good enough to make me read the third one. Which was an utter disappointment. It ended in such a clichet way it made me angry. I saw what was going to happen and watched it play out over the last 70 pages. So, after that, I decided to not go forward.
The Shadow Ops Trilogy by Myke Cole.
This series was very interesting to me. With the first book, Control Point, it was obvious to me that this book was what I call a "training" novel, where you along with the character are taught about how magic works, as well as given important information about the world. The sequel, Fortress Frontier, was a bit better, mainly because of a character introduced by the name of Sculptor, that shocked me a couple of times. The final installment, Breach Zone, was pretty interesting as well, but no serious plot twists that caught me off guard. I'm actually surprised it made it to number 6 on the Top Fantasy Books of 2014.
That's all I've got.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:21:23 PM by ultamentkiller »

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
This needs a mod: @xiagan, @Arry, can you please move ultament's post to the right thread? Thanks!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!