January 19, 2018, 09:18:23 PM

Author Topic: [Jan 2018] - Rebirth/Renewal - Discussion Thread  (Read 875 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[Jan 2018] - Rebirth/Renewal - Discussion Thread
« on: January 01, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
Rebirth/Renewal

by Gavin Mackey

What better time to write about renewal and rebirth at the threshold of the new year? Where spring is still far away but the days are slowly getting longer already. Where many people formulate their hopes and wishes for the new year, plan to renew themselves with resolutions and try to leave the faults of their old selves behind.

This is a broad theme and it doesn't have to deal with people or the new year. After all, what can't be renewed? What doesn't have the right to rebirth themselves time and again?

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. The overarching theme must be renewal or rebirth of something or someone.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys under the B.
Bonus rule: We consider voting in a contest you're taking part in a given. Others take time and effort to read the stories - you should do the same. A small community like ours lives from reciprocity and this contest needs stories as much as votes. 

If you want so submit your story anonymously you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close Jan 31th/Feb 1st, 2018 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline MattWillis

Re: [Jan 2018] - Rebirth/Renewal - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:57:06 PM »
Good topic! Looking forward to this. Though kind of wishing I could do the phoenix thing and set fire to my current life in order to get a new one. Ah well. HNY to all

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »
Yes, indeed, it's a good theme. I have weekends again now, and apparently things slow down to a crawl at work in january, so should have plenty of time to write.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 05:53:30 AM »
The phoenix is alright, I think you should have used a different image to kick off...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dr. Who fanfic month!!!!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:19:30 PM »
Bradley’s suggestion made me laugh, but @ xiagan that is a terrific phoenix pic you found.  Fawkes would be pleased. 8)
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:08 PM »
I like the challenge of these lofty topics, like the Redemption one, but man is it difficult to arrive at a situation that literally requires backstory in 1500 words! You can't have redemption or renewal without the negativity that comes before.
**begs for 500 more words**
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 09:40:42 PM »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 02:16:52 PM »
**begs for 500 more words**
Nope.
 8)
Ok, on a nicer note, I'd say that you've been doing fine with the previous themes, at least as far as I'm concerned, so you'll do fine here too :)
I don't think you actually need a backstory, couldn't it start from the rebirth moment? Then everything looks and feels new? It could be a literal rebirth, we're talking SFF after all, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »
I'm sure it will be fine. I didn't want to miss the chance to use any excuse, err, I mean objective justification, for additional space.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 06:18:06 PM »
I don't think you actually need a backstory, couldn't it start from the rebirth moment? Then everything looks and feels new? It could be a literal rebirth, we're talking SFF after all, hehe
I feel like that's just begging for people to drag out the amnesia cliche. But perhaps the amnesia cliche could get its own rebirth.

"Don't you wanna know who you were?"

"Nope. I was probably boring."

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 06:44:55 PM »
Wouldn't a story starting from the rebirth with amnesia be boring??
Basically just a story... that has an off the page rebirth? I'd not vote for that.
Though I don't mind the idea of the story being about someone changing their lives from the point of their rebirth, if it's well made.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 10:08:16 PM »
Whispers “Doesn’t have to be people.....”
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 10:13:55 PM »
Whispers “Doesn’t have to be people.....”

Does a homunculus count as people?

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 10:19:05 PM »
It was only a whisper. A good story will be a good story whatever, I’m slightly jaded about humans in general lately, so biased. Just stirring the pot. And it’s b****y hot again, no sleep.  :P

Added to tell @Nora - I should complain, it was 39C/102F here today but Melbourne  Penrith was 50C/122F :o  Also some roads are melting. But of course no climate change.
You are in a far better place. ;)

Sorry mods I know this is wrong thread but I will stop now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:44:39 AM by Lady Ty »

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »
@Lady Ty: It’s -17 degrees Celsius outside my window right now. Sleet to freezing rain tomorrow afternoon. Yee hah!

Meanwhile, I haven’t latched onto an idea for this story yet. Last month, I played around with a particular approach but couldn’t get it to energize. Suddenly, on a drive home at night from my mom’s 80th birthday celebration, the sentence: “it was Christmas Eve, so of course we took off our clothes and made love under the stars” popped into my head. And that was that.

Yikes. I’m a pantser (no pun intended).

Waiting for this month’s sentence.........
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)