February 22, 2018, 04:52:20 PM

Author Topic: Fantasy word choice funtime  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Skip

Re: Fantasy word choice funtime
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 05:01:00 PM »
"Come home. You're grounded, mister."

No?

Honestly, there isn't a word for it because it's unique. He's not coming home as part of a break, he's been ordered home by the paterfamilias.

I do think there is a word for a private school break, 19thc early 20thc. Was it in Tom Brown's School Days?  Somewhere. Not Christmas or spring break or anything like that. It was a jargon-y word. So, if this is a normal break and it's simply that Dad says Jr can't return to school, then you might look for a word along those lines.

Otherwise, I'd say Dad either makes a pretext to get Jr to come home, or he simply orders him home.
Visit Altearth

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »
"Come home. You're grounded, mister."

No?

Honestly, there isn't a word for it because it's unique. He's not coming home as part of a break, he's been ordered home by the paterfamilias.

I do think there is a word for a private school break, 19thc early 20thc. Was it in Tom Brown's School Days?  Somewhere. Not Christmas or spring break or anything like that. It was a jargon-y word. So, if this is a normal break and it's simply that Dad says Jr can't return to school, then you might look for a word along those lines.

Otherwise, I'd say Dad either makes a pretext to get Jr to come home, or he simply orders him home.

This made me think of “interim”. It rings a bell about time back from school between terms. Or, “hiatus”. Or just use the modern term: “on break”
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:29:17 PM by JMack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2018, 10:15:58 PM »

Yeah I think hiatus or recess is good.  The king isn't going to *say* that his son is home against his will unless he's absolutely pushed to do so, he's going to want to encourage his son to think of it as a recess, despite the fact that it's obviously not.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 02:54:59 AM »
It wouldn't bother me at all. The only words that throw me out of a story are words with very obvious ties to our cultures, or major anachronisms when it comes to the world's technology.

Like references to trains in a world that doesn't have them.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 10:22:00 AM »
It wouldn't bother me at all. The only words that throw me out of a story are words with very obvious ties to our cultures, or major anachronisms when it comes to the world's technology.

Ooh! A touch, a veritable touch! Too bad JRRT isnt alive for you to feel your thrust.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »

Ooh! A touch, a veritable touch! Too bad JRRT isnt alive for you to feel your thrust.
What are you talking about?
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2018, 01:29:16 AM »

@The Gem Cutter , there’s an infamous passage in The Hobbit where the narrative voice compares a sound to a train whistle. It’s often cited as a careless anachronism. Alternativ, some have said that it was okay because the narrator is not necessarily in that timeline.

I took Ryan’s comment as referring to that instance.

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2018, 01:36:44 AM »

@The Gem Cutter , there’s an infamous passage in The Hobbit where the narrative voice compares a sound to a train whistle. It’s often cited as a careless anachronism. Alternativ, some have said that it was okay because the narrator is not necessarily in that timeline.

Ugh. I never, ever noticed. Although I did spot the one Christian-specific term in the LOTR...
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2018, 02:11:51 AM »

Ugh. I never, ever noticed. Although I did spot the one Christian-specific term in the LOTR...
oh?

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2018, 02:24:05 AM »
The Gem Cutter

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2018, 03:16:51 AM »
So I looked that up-- devil or demon is often used to describe so many prechristian things (like the princess of hell from the key of Solomon are actually Jinn, far more ancient than Christianity. So I was curious if the words origins we Christian

The Modern English word devil descends from the Middle English devel, from Old English d?ofol, that in turn represents an early Germanic borrowing of Latin diabolus. This in turn was borrowed from Greek: ???????? diábolos, "slanderer",[5] from ?????????? diabállein, "to slander" from ??? diá, "across, through" and ??????? bállein, "to hurl", probably akin to the Sanskrit gurate, "he lifts up".[6]"

Interestingly while looking that up I found this whole thing on heretics who believe the god of the old testament (who to be fair is pretty cruel) was actually the devil and the new testament is God.

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2018, 03:23:22 AM »
Nah.
The Gem Cutter

Offline Yora

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2018, 10:33:17 AM »

From what I remember, the whole narration of the Hobbit is very contemporary throughout the whole book. That's not a slipup but intentional design.
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2018, 08:20:23 AM »
In a 1600s era fantasy can you have a balaclava?

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2018, 10:28:55 AM »
In a 1600s era fantasy can you have a balaclava?

Balaika, Lute, Balaclava... it’s all the same, right?  ;D ;D :P