February 23, 2018, 12:55:01 AM

Author Topic: Article by Ada Palmer on Structure  (Read 174 times)

Offline Peat

Article by Ada Palmer on Structure
« on: December 23, 2017, 09:05:09 PM »
I found this article on Tor at the start of the month and fell in love with the way she described the story telling process. I think its the first time I've seen someone separate Structure from Plot - examining When things happen and the mood they're meant to evoke as much as What things happen. I also think what she has to say about Voice and how it shapes a book to be particularly interesting too.

Anyway, figured I'd stick it up here and see if anyone else found it useful, and see whether anyone else finds themselves thinking more in terms of Structure and Voice than Plot and Character. For me it feels like someone's expressed something I'd been edging towards; revealing something I realised I'd always known.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline cupiscent

Re: Article by Ada Palmer on Structure
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »
That was a great article, thanks Peat! It definitely puts some firm terminology around a whole lot of stuff I tend to bat about unthinkingly. (I especially connect with her moment of epiphany/inspiration with a single moment of inspiration giving a whole overall arc. I have definitely felt that. I admire her all the more for pinning it down, because I've never quite managed to do that.)

Voice is definitely a thing I have played around with a lot, and I found writing a lot of fanfic across a variety of characters, worlds and styles really handy for this. Voice is often the thing I need before I can start "writing"--actually putting prose down--and I find it often contributes heavily to the themes I'm exploring, or at least the angle I'm taking on them. My current narrator-character, for instance, is so snarky, so honest about her dishonesty, that questions of truth, consequences and sincerity really come to the fore in the story.

Offline Peat

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »
Amen to that thing about voice. A lot of my projects founder because I can't capture a voice I'm happy with. Its why I'm thinking of doing more short stories this year, more practice at finding that voice.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 12:35:03 PM »
Amen to that thing about voice. A lot of my projects founder because I can't capture a voice I'm happy with. Its why I'm thinking of doing more short stories this year, more practice at finding that voice.

This is what I find so enjoyable and educational about the monthly short story contest.
Meanwhile, off I go to read your linked article.  ;D

ā€”ā€”ā€”

And Iā€™m back. Damn good, interesting article. Thanks, Peat!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:04:30 PM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)