November 18, 2017, 08:20:37 AM

Author Topic: UGH... self-promotion  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: UGH... self-promotion
« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2017, 11:21:20 PM »
I just want to add a little epilogue to my free Amazon promotion/reddit combo: Since then I've been selling an average of just under two books a day, and my KENP (Amazon library) read pages have been as many as 2000 a day.

I'm pretty sure Stephen King wipes his ass with numbers like this, but given the flatline my sales have been for months and months I am very pleased. I don't recall ever having this kind of consistency. I actually cautiously optimistic about my October 8th release.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
I get excited when someone that's not my mum likes a post I make on FB. Actual sales and people reading your material is a great thing! Good luck with the launch!
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
I want to mention that back in June I booked myself for the Reddit Fantasy Writer of the Day thing, a bi-weekly opportunity for indie authors to introduce themselves and offer to answer questions. The list is rather backed up, and my slot finally opens up tomorrow.

It'll begin at 9:00 PM Chicago time, which is 14:00 AM over here, and suits me just fine.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Offline abatch

« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2017, 12:44:15 AM »
Here's the latest from Bookwraiths, which features...oh!...me. :)

https://bookwraiths.com/

Offline abatch

« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2017, 09:45:14 PM »
Steel, Blood & Fire was just awarded another honor, named a "Distinguished Favorite" in the NYC Big Book Awards.

https://www.nycbigbookaward.com/2017distinguishedfavorites

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
So, inspired by your experience @Eli_Freysson , I've decided to make my first post on reddit ever. (okay it was my second, and it was about buying a computer but that's besides the point)

I find reddit very intimidating b/c errrrr bad people like homicidal gamer gaters live on reddit. So reddit scares me.
Do you have any advice for getting along with the indigenous peoples of reddit? Blending in among the denizens? You mentioned r/fantasy , but did you go to any other subreddits before you arranged your AMA and your book promotion?  I mean my WIP isn't even finished yet but I figure I might as well start making inroads into the spots where readers hang out...

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2017, 10:17:42 PM »
So, inspired by your experience @Eli_Freysson , I've decided to make my first post on reddit ever. (okay it was my second, and it was about buying a computer but that's besides the point)

I find reddit very intimidating b/c errrrr bad people like homicidal gamer gaters live on reddit. So reddit scares me.
Do you have any advice for getting along with the indigenous peoples of reddit? Blending in among the denizens? You mentioned r/fantasy , but did you go to any other subreddits before you arranged your AMA and your book promotion?  I mean my WIP isn't even finished yet but I figure I might as well start making inroads into the spots where readers hang out...

Yeah, I've heard bad things about Reddit too, but apparently r/fantasy is considered one of the nicer subreddits. I haven't immersed myself in the culture enough to really comment. At least 95% of my posts are on r/fantasy. I drop little reviews of movies or books I've recently immersed myself in, and for a period I dropped my thoughts on a classic fantasy novel from 1982 as I read through it for the first time.

I'm not good at thinking of something to say on typical threads, but I do drop my thoughts when I can, and I sometimes start threads on various issues around the fantasy genre, such as the use of Tolkienesque elves and dwarfs. I find I get by far the greatest response with something visual, such as when I show off a picture I commissioned, or my new cover.

I haven't noticed any conflicts on r/fantasy, so I'd say dive in. Just have something to say.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2017, 08:19:27 AM »
Each sub is a world of its own. There are truly horrible ones out there, but r/fantasy does seem pretty chill.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »
Yeah the fantasy subreddit is actually OK. I've dabbled there now and again.
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://www.cameronjohnston.net/