The Dreglund - Nora
5 (22.7%)
The Civilisation of the Deep - D_Bates
3 (13.6%)
In Darkness Dwells - Jonathan Ryan
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: January 01, 2018, 12:30:01 PM

Author Topic: [NOV 2017] Water - Voting Thread  (Read 1242 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: [NOV 2017] Water - Voting Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 10:25:01 AM »
2 hours left to vote!!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2018, 12:33:47 PM »
Congrats Nora!

Looks like you've got into the winning habit
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2018, 01:01:58 PM »
Whoa! Thank you all so much!
Eclipse, I'm hardly a contestant to the two God Emperors, this is my fourth win in 3 years, but I love how each win is often on trying something different (a love story, a journal..). It's the very spirit of the contest for me, as Carter said, the perfect place to go and try new things.

Speaking of which, I voted for @Carter, whose story sort of surprised me with unexpected typos and nagging things that I felt could have been smoothed out by re-reads, yet was so lovely in concept, so intense in emotions, I was totally caught. I loved as well that the MC, this river spirit, goes to do the good thing but then lashes out, and ends the story on a bitter, almost cruel note. It felt like the obvious thing to do for it though, so it had a bit of a "glimpse into an alien mindset" quality to that ending which I really liked.
it's an odd contest, when third place only has two votes.

Also voted for @D_Bates, I just like your stories man! This one... there was a thing towards the end, when it became really lovecraftian that didn't please me all that much, because I felt like you had your own, honestly terrifying thing going, but it still worked very well overall. The part when they all go nuts or missing was quite chilly, even for such a short story. Tight!

Honourable mentions to Jmack's great Monsoon Dragon, and Nightwrite, whose concept was really cool, like a good water-bender idea, but felt too much like a chapter in a story. I think 500 more words to peak in drama and cut a sharper end would have made it perfect.
Norman Gray's story was also very good. Well written, but ultimately storms aren't just water, and there are floods and seas mentioned, for sure, but the story lacked independence as an autonomous short as well. Overall quality was strong though.

It was just tough to have only two votes with still so many good stories. I hope we have more entries for Jan, with everyone making good writing resolutions and upholding them for at least a month :p
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 01:03:54 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
Congrats, Nora! And well-deserved. I think my sense of your story as an homage to Marie Brennan influenced my vote here. But it was very well-written, with great imaginative backdrop.

I voted for @D_Bates and @The Gem Cutter. Two very different stories, one with lots of interesting quirks and alleyways (to mix my metaphors) and the other the working out of a single, clear concept.

I agree with Nora about stories that feel like they are the prologue to a book, or a chapter in it. Except in rare occasions that keeps me from voting for even very imaginative and well-crafted entries.

And now... it’s 2018! January will be my 40th entry in the contest, assuming I complete one. Can;t wait to see this month’s topic. So, huge thank you as always to @xiagan, without whom I’d have never become a writer. (Future generations will have only you to blame. ;))
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 02:21:19 PM »
Yay @Nora :D
I didn't vote for you, but it was almost, hehe

I voted for @Jmack (lovely!) and @The Gem Cutter (it seems lately I've been leaning towards Gem's stories, they just appeal to me :) )

But wow, one winner, then just 2 points behind we got 3 stories, then another two with just 1 less point - it means everyone managed to take something out of all the stories :D

I agree with Nora about stories that feel like they are the prologue to a book, or a chapter in it. Except in rare occasions that keeps me from voting for even very imaginative and well-crafted entries.
Same here. I need "stand-aloneness"

And now... it’s 2018! January will be my 40th entry in the contest, assuming I complete one. Can;t wait to see this month’s topic. So, huge thank you as always to @xiagan, without whom I’d have never become a writer. (Future generations will have only you to blame. ;))
;D
We got the theme, xia just needs to organise it
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:23:00 PM by ScarletBea »
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Carter

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 03:42:16 PM »
Congratulations Nora.  A good story and I felt the style of it was well executed - hence it got one of my votes along with Alex's story. 

Thanks for the vote as well.  I did rush it a bit towards the end of the month so I was not able to get it anywhere near as polished as I wanted it so I'm glad some of what I wanted came across.

Offline ScarletBea

• Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »
Carter, yours was another strong contender for my vote, it also got a 4 and the comment "nice and lovely" ;D
It just didn't exactly feel like a complete story.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »
Congrats, Nora! There still isn't a God Empress... ;)

I'm on the next contest now but we have friends over so... yeah. (Tryin' the Lanko life, posting contests late  8))
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2018, 06:18:25 PM »
Congratulations Nora!  Another fine month with a varied assortment of entries. The diversity of ideas always surprises me - although the December contest has more than the average amount of commonality in some ways.
Thank you for your votes Miss Scarlet and Jmack (and the other person!)!  I voted for Jmack and Jonathan.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2018, 06:40:22 PM »
Woo hoo! Congrats @Nora!

I sent you a PM just to make sure you don't have a Twitter or something (I don't think you do but can't remember). I'll be posting your win once I hear back.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:41:59 PM by tebakutis »

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2018, 07:55:50 PM »
Congratulations Nora!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2018, 10:15:02 PM »
Congrats Nora, like Jmack I had a feeling Lady Trent had crept into your sub conscious and you got my vote for the unique treatment of the theme and the way the letters led us step by step to the changes and almost inevitable ending. I was left wanting a sequel about life among the Dalai, but know the final mystery needs to remain as it is. I had assumed your Explorator was male, so was surprisedwhen  you seemed to show concern that it was unclear she was female. My own reaction was how good it had been to read a story where it could be either gender and had no bearing on the outcome whichever.  I already sensedw a love story by the ending but if you had actually developed that more than the subtle hint, you may have lost my vote.  :P

Carter got my other vote for being Water in a heart rending way and I felt myself within that river all the way, flowing along the course and also loving little details like tickling leaves and bothersome small fish.

It was a terribly hard choice this month and I truly needed more votes for @Alex Hormann ‘s chanting raindrop army, Jmack’s love story and @D_Bates frightening reflection on the genuine horror of the deep. Thanks again to all for fascinating reading. ;D
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 05:56:09 AM »

Great job Nora!!!

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2018, 02:05:01 PM »
Thanks for the vote @Carter , and I'm glad @Lady Ty enjoyed it too. I was running low on time and ideas, so I just turned my geography GCSE into a fantasy story.  ;D

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 06:59:37 AM »
Congratulations @Nora! Well deserved and a worthy capping off to 2017, and thank you for the kind comments :-).
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018