November 21, 2017, 07:12:15 PM

Author Topic: RIP Julian May  (Read 236 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
RIP Julian May
« on: October 23, 2017, 05:35:29 AM »
This is sadly a bit late. Julian May, the author of the Saga of the Exiles (highly popular in the 80's when it first came out) passed away on 17 October, aged 86. This seems to have passed largely without note, which is a little sad, as she was a very popular author for some time. I'm rereading the series at the moment and struck by what a great TV show it would make now that we have the technical ability to pull it off.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online CameronJohnston

Re: RIP Julian May
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:01:03 AM »
I hadn't heard this at all :( I remember those books well. I think I read most of them from the library in one go back in the early 90s..
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://www.cameronjohnston.net/

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:59:28 AM »
Sad news and sad that her passing is almost without remark.

I read all the saga of the exiles (to destruction for many of the books) repeatedly and still rate them as some of the best fantasy available.

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »
I have the first two books. I didn't realise she was that age. Well written, though not the flavour of story I like. Can't get my head round time travel.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:03:45 PM »
There are four books in the saga of the exiles and another 6 from memory in what is correctly the Galactic Millieu(?) series the initial 4 are about the consequences of running away from an existence that no longer is acceptable to misfits and miscreants and the consequences thereof the latter 6 are largely prequel (hmm time travel) exploring that society and humanities place in it.

The initial series could be classed as a portal fantasy as easily as science fiction and draws heavily on myths and folklore for both the characters and their antagonists. The latter leans more to sci-fi but large amounts take place a couple of decades ago in places well researched and accurately described in a way that ties the story very much to the real.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:27:50 PM by Rostum »