November 22, 2017, 10:46:47 AM

Author Topic: AbeBooks' Top 10 Sales of July,August & September 2017  (Read 363 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
AbeBooks' Top 10 Sales of July,August & September 2017
« on: October 17, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
I found ths interesting you can see some photos if you press the link

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/collectables/most-expensive-sales/july-august-september-2017/index.shtml?cm_mmc=nl-_-nl-_-U171017-MRC-q3mexpAMTRADE-_-b2cta&abersp=1

1. Songes Drolatiques de Pantagruel - £12,700
The Pantagruel Dreams are a series of 120 engravings published by Richard Breton in 1565 under the name of François Rabelais. They depict monstrous and grotesque figures. Published in 1973, Dali adapted 25 of the images and printed them as lithographs, limited to 250 copies printed on Japan paper, complete with a red presentation case.

2. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham - £10,440
A 1951 UK first edition of this classic science fiction novel featuring killer plants wreaking havoc, published by Michael Joseph and in near fine condition complete with its dust jacket. Inscribed by Wyndham. The book belonged to Jim Burch was a science fiction fan and co-organizer of the 1951 Science Fiction Convention in London.

3=. Oxford Night Caps Being a Collection of Receipts for Making Various Beverages Used in The University by Richard Cook - £7,545
A pioneering book for all drinkers and bartenders. First printing of the first known cocktail book to be published in the English language from 1827. Designed to help students at Oxford University mix beverages for their busy social life. Just 38 pages. Very scarce. You will find another copy in Oxford's Bodleian Library.

3=. A Discourse and Discovery of Newfoundland by Richard Whitbourne - £7,545
Published in 1622, this is a second edition, revised and enlarged from the 1620 first edition. Whitbourne (1579-1628) is known as the father of Newfoundland and this book helped to promote colonization of this region. He first traveled to Newfoundland in 1579 to hunt whales and trade with the natives. His voyages continued throughout the next 40 years. Similar to John Smith in New England, Whitbourne was an early advocate for colonization. Contains the armorial bookplate of Edward Chappell, an English naval officer and author, who served in the Napoleonic wars.

5. A Collection of Letters from Hubert Lyautey - £7,285
Correspondence between 'le Maréchal' Lyautey and his editor Max Leclerc. Lyautey was the first French Resident-General in Morocco from 1912 to 1925. From 1921 he was a Marshal of France and nicknamed the Maker of Morocco. Time Magazine put him on its cover in 1931 and called him an empire builder.

6. A Collection of 82 Typescript Pages of Erotica - £7,165
Nearly 1200 typescript pages of erotica, containing 82 original and classic stories, poems, songs, and jokes assembled by Oklahoma oil man, Roy Melisander Johnson. The loose pages are contained in an enormous post-bound quarter leather and cloth binder.

7. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - £6,640
The 1969 edition illustrated by Salvador Dali. Limited to 2500 copies, this is # 2,386. Twelve surreal illustrations with original woodcuts and an original etching by Dali. Copies of this prized book regularly appear on this list. We recommend Princeton's 2015 reprint if you don't have thousands to spare.

8. Leviathan, or, the Matter, Form, and Power of a Common-Wealth Ecclesiastical and Civil by Thomas Hobbes - £6,470
Commonly known as Leviathan, this is an important work on how nations work in terms of structure and society. Written during the English Civil War (1642-1651), Leviathan argues for a social contract and rule by an absolute sovereign. Hobbes wrote that a strong, undivided government would solve England's unrest. First edition, third state of this famous 17th century book.

9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - £6,410
A 1960 first edition signed by Lee on a bookplate. Fine condition.

10. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - £5,900
The scarce second edition from 1813. Three volumes, bound in contemporary green calf with embossed details, and raised bands.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: AbeBooks' Top 10 Sales of July,August & September 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:01:42 PM »
As much as I like books, I don't think I'd ever pay that much for one :o
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:24:47 PM »
I definitely agree with you, ScarletBea, but I must admit this one piqued my interest...

6. A Collection of 82 Typescript Pages of Erotica - £7,165
Nearly 1200 typescript pages of erotica, containing 82 original and classic stories, poems, songs, and jokes assembled by Oklahoma oil man, Roy Melisander Johnson. The loose pages are contained in an enormous post-bound quarter leather and cloth binder.

(Probably not piqued to the tune of seven thousand pounds though!)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 12:55:37 AM »
Why exactly would one need three volumes for Pride & Prejudice?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 04:06:58 AM »
Took me awhile to notice it's the price of the book... I thought it was how they were selling and making a profit for a bookstore.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 06:01:57 AM »

Asks the man who has more then one LoTR book 😛 on his bookshelf
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »

Asks the man who has more then one LoTR book 😛 on his bookshelf
hehehe

I think it's actually the single novel but split into 3 books, that's why it's rare, I guess they realised it wasn't commercial...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 10:46:37 PM »
I think it's actually the single novel but split into 3 books, that's why it's rare, I guess they realised it wasn't commercial...

Yes, it's the single novel published in three books. It's rare now, but in Jane Austen's time (note the publishing date on it - 1813) that was very common. You see many characters in her books going into house libraries to get the next volume of whatever they were reading. I imagine it had to do with printing and binding technology and how many pages could be bound into a single volume durably (similar reasons to why one of the ASoIaF books was split into two volumes) but also, I seem to recall that books for personal reading in that period were really quite small in height and width - smaller than mass market paperbacks these days - so less text could be fit per page.