November 22, 2017, 10:42:04 AM

Author Topic: Loose Circuit: A FREE Cyberpunk Police Procedural  (Read 650 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Loose Circuit: A FREE Cyberpunk Police Procedural
« on: September 27, 2017, 04:25:34 PM »
Hey folks! I'm proud to drop the official post for my soon-to-be-released cyberpunk police procedural, which will be premiering next Monday (October 2). Several of the talented writers on the Fantasy-Faction forums critiqued early chapters and helped me improve, so thanks to all of you awesome folks. More information will be coming this weekend, including how you can get a free short story set in the world of the book.

A World Without Violence – Or Not

When your new employer tasks you to investigate the first successful mass shooting in twelve years, it’s understandable to be nervous. Fortunately, detective-in-training Cowan Soto has a Personal Brain Assistant – a cybernetic implant – that allows him to firewall pesky emotions like worry and guilt, and erase memories of bullet-riddled corpses. Unfortunately, Cowan soon learns his suspect’s PBA is also what allowed a ruthless hacker to puppet her into a shooting rampage.

Guided and mentored by his veteran partner, Jeb Forrester, Cowan must chase this ruthless puppetmaster through a gauntlet of homicidal professional gamers, peddlers of algorithmic orgasms, the Russian mafia, and the board of OneWorld: the monolithic corporate entity that now owns the entirety of the planet. And as Cowan learns more about the people he’s working for and what their goals might be, it becomes increasingly hard to tell if he’s working for the right side…

Starting on October 2, you can read a new section of Loose Circuit every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with the story concluding in mid to late February 2018. If you like it, tell your friends!

http://loosecircuit.com/

Finally, if you'd like info about my other work, my new author site is here:

http://www.tebakutis.com

Thanks folks!

T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: Loose Circuit: A FREE Cyberpunk Police Procedural
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
The cover is freaking awesome, Eric!!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 06:30:51 PM »
The cover is freaking awesome, Eric!!
This!
Fab, and congrats :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »
That is one sweet cover!
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://www.cameronjohnston.net/

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 07:05:29 PM »
Hey, glad you folks like the cover! All credit goes to the artist, Mat Yan. You can see some of his other stuff here.

https://thebookcoverdesigner.com/designers/matyan90/

He's really got an eye for striking covers (at a reasonable price!) on the off chance you're in the market for one for an indie book at some point in the future.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:57:54 PM »
Will this be out in paperback (or dare I hope hardback)? No rush, still got Bloodmender to get through first. ;)

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 07:12:06 PM »
Will this be out in paperback (or dare I hope hardback)? No rush, still got Bloodmender to get through first. ;)

No paperback plans currently, but only because I'm not %100 sure how Amazon policy works. I know that they will de-list your book if you can buy it cheaper on a competitor (for instance, if you priced your book at $2.99 on Amazon and $1.99 on Nook or Google Books, they'll immediately de-list it) but I'm not sure if that applies to "free on a website", or if they'll still allow you to sell it on Amazon. Apparently, The Martian (as one example) was for sale on Amazon while it was still up for free on Andy Weir's site. So, who knows?

Once the complete serial wraps up (February 2018) I may do something like pack it into an e-book and just make that available for download from my site, and possibly look into something like Smashwords to sell a paperback "at cost" if people clamor for it. A friend also suggested sticking it on Amazon for $0.99 (assuming they'd sell it, of course) to get eyes on the book from people who browse Amazon, if nothing else. So, there's options! But right now I'm focused on the online launch and (hopefully) getting more eyes on my stuff.

Oh! Speaking of options, as part of an attempt to expand my mailing list, I've recently set it up so you get a free short story for signing up. Obviously, you guys don't need a mailing list (since you're on here!) but if you'd like to read the free story (a revised version of a contest story, in fact!) you can grab it from here.

http://www.tebakutis.com/stories/Fun_Time_in_the_Park.pdf

The title may involve sarcasm.

Also, if anyone *does* want to sign up for my e-mail list, out of solidarity or something, you can find that here. eepurl.com/c488o5

I only send a single e-mail a day or two before I have a new book or story out, and at no other time, because I hate spam. So no notifications about specials, no reminders to buy my books, etc. But if you know someone who might enjoy my work but doesn't come on the forums or social media, I'd be awful obliged if you could point them to that.

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 11:30:01 AM »
How can they eatthat stuff?!
They don’t have a PBA to make everything taste like bacon.

This might be one of my favorite lines ever.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 01:35:58 AM »
Ep. 3.
Enjoying!

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
What I love about Loose Circuit, @tebakutis, is the old school SF style even if the tech applications are absolutely modern. What I mean is that classic SF (not space opera) takes a concept or two and works them out to fascinating detail and extension and wraps a great adventure around these. You just keep going “Oh, cool! That makes sense! I wouldn’t have thought of that!” Latest example? Hostage PBAs in simbeds.  :)

I do have to say that the idea of all these world leaders installing PBAs so they’ll play nice seems too far-fetched. More likely there would have had to be some serious warfare to make this happen.

Now, when Cowan tells us he called CID on himself and his girlfriend, it reminded me of an old book I read by Robert Sheckley, “The Status Civilization.” There’s a recorded version on YouTube. The deep deep voice of the narrator is really cheesy, but I could get used to it and let that go. Really fun book, with that turning yourself in thing as a key concept (big time spoiler, but the book is fun no matter that I just spoiled part of the mystery  8)).

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 03:35:03 PM »
What I love about Loose Circuit, @tebakutis, is the old school SF style even if the tech applications are absolutely modern. What I mean is that classic SF (not space opera) takes a concept or two and works them out to fascinating detail and extension and wraps a great adventure around these. You just keep going “Oh, cool! That makes sense! I wouldn’t have thought of that!” Latest example? Hostage PBAs in simbeds.  :)

Why thank you sir! That's the type of feedback an author lives for. :)

I do have to say that the idea of all these world leaders installing PBAs so they’ll play nice seems too far-fetched. More likely there would have had to be some serious warfare to make this happen.

It is a bit odd, isn't it? That world leaders would just give up their self-control and fall in line? Yes. That does seem a bit strange...

:0

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 01:14:21 PM »
@tebakutis

Next installment, please!  >:( ;)

Edit:
Thank you!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:45:37 AM by Jmack »