December 13, 2017, 07:24:34 AM

Author Topic: And I find somewhere else to spend time online instead of writing  (Read 413 times)

Offline Endian

And I find somewhere else to spend time online instead of writing
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »
Hi, I'm Rich. That's my name, not my fiscal situation  ;)

I live in the UK and have recently traded a software engineer job (via redundancy) for sitting on my arse writing and wondering if I should start looking for a proper job again.

I have self-published a novella using KDP, "Fire in the North". I have another almost ready to publish, and a half a first draft of book 3. Somehow, inbetween the self-doubt and internet browsing, I have managed to produce a bunch of words that make some sort of sense.

When not procrastinating or writing, I read or look wistfully at my boardgame collection knowing I can't justify buying any more without a steady income. Oh, and I might "have a quick go before I start" of whatever video game I have on the go. And tabletop RPGs. I play them sometimes.

That was me in a nutshell then :-)

Rich

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: And I find somewhere else to spend time online instead of writing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 01:51:11 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

We're a friendly bunch, if a little crazy, but that's actually normal, right?
There are people from all over the world in here 8)

Feel free to read everything and post everywhere, even old threads!

And if you want to both spend time online AND write, give our Monthly Writing Contest a try ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 12:03:43 AM »
And we have two threads that might be of Interest:
How many words did I write today? http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=851.0
And
Avoiding Writing: Or, how many words didn't you write today? http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=7574.0

There you have us: a forum for all occasions.  ;D
Welcome!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline abatch

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 02:46:40 AM »
Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »
Welcome!

If you join our monthly writing contest, this will be a place where you actually write short stories instead of long ones. Ever since I started here, my writing got tremendously better and my long WIPs got so little work done I'm not sure they deserve the name anymore.

Hopefully you'll join the craze anyway. Fresh blood is always good.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline David Gullen

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 03:41:11 PM »
Hi Rich,
You're a luck person if you don't need a day job and can write (or prevaricate about writing). If you can do that, good luck, but the chances of making good money are...;)
Old-school advice was that you should have two years money in the bank before you quit the day job. These days with self-pub etc it's different for some people.
I work 3 days a week at the day job - it's a good compromise financially because writing earns me very little.

D.