October 24, 2017, 10:38:37 AM

Author Topic: What would you like to know more about?  (Read 131 times)

Offline David Gullen

What would you like to know more about?
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:48:38 AM »
As well as lurking here, reading more than posting, I also help run the Milford SF group in the UK. If you don't know, Milford runs a week-long peer to peer SFF critique session and has been running annually since 1972. Almost everyone in SFF has attended at some point - Gaiman, GRR, etc, etc.

So, we're thinking of running a residential tutored event - talks and tutorials from established writers, workshops, and conversations. Far more of a learning & working event than just critiquing. But what would writers actually find useful? What would you want to learn and do? One suggestion is to bring your novel idea,  and leave with a full outline and the first chapter.
But maybe people are more interested in short stories?
And would you prefer a weekend or a week?

Whatever we do would be at-cost. We'd want to pay the tutors, but Milford is non-profit. There's more here if you're interested: http://www.milfordsf.co.uk/about.htm

I'd appreciate any thoughts and comments.
Thanks.

Offline Peat

Re: What would you like to know more about?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »
Are you wedded to doing a one size fits all course, or is there a possibility of doing various things?

Because while a First Chapter & Outline sounds great to me, I'm not sure it does much for the Discovery Writers in the audience. And yeah, some people are more interested in short stories. Although I guess you can still do first chapter & outline for short stories, just the outline will be a lot shorter and there'll be a lot less to write after the first chapter...

The most useful and important thing I can think of in such a face to face situation is the ability to write something, get feedback on it, then improve it there and then. I think that would have to be key. Talks and tutorials? Hardly a bad thing but not that attractive to someone with the attention spam of a slug.

Offline David Gullen

Re: What would you like to know more about?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 04:39:26 PM »
Thanks, Peat,

We're not wedded to anything at all yet! I'd really like to tailor the event to a consensus of what people want. That's maybe difficult, maybe impossible, but rather than just go ahead and offer something I thought it would be useful to talk first!