October 24, 2017, 10:39:39 AM

Author Topic: Interesting article for writers on main site  (Read 264 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Interesting article for writers on main site
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:38:07 AM »
2000 to 10000 and 5000 words per hour

I think it might be useful for some of you :)

I just have a problem with this bit:
Aaron realized if she was bored writing it, her readers would be bored reading it.
She assumes that everyone who will read her books has exactly the same likes/dislikes as her, when that's not necessarily true...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline DaveEllis

Re: Interesting article for writers on main site
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:18:44 AM »
Isn't one of the most common "rules" bandied about, write for yourself not for a market/specific reader?  So I suppose following that idea I can see where she is coming from.

But if you put it conversely then its definitely not true, just because the writer finds it entertaining does not mean the reader will.

At the end of the day, like all writing help articles its purely opinion and not suited to everyone.  I like her way of planning and after pantsing a Nanowrimo last year which I find totally unreadable, I might use this in the upcoming Nano for the same basic idea.

Offline Peat

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 02:36:21 PM »
Thanks for flagging that Bea, rather interesting.

On the write what you find interesting thing -

I do have a rather reflexive dislike of people doing things based solely on their interpretation of what's good and not but there is some wisdom to it here for two reasons

a) You're never going to please everybody and your career depends on how many readers you can make very happy, not how many readers think its alright

b) A lot of successful writers have pretty good taste. I mean, if they don't, they don't write anything good to begin with. So I'm inclined to think most times you look at a scene and think "This is no Bueno", you're probably right for most people.

But anyway, yeah, writing faster, I'd love to do that. I think Aaron's point about knowing what you're going to write next is the crucial one for me. And I've got to say that while it sounds more Plotter than Planner, there's no reason you can't decide day to day where the story goes. But its so much easier knowing what the scene is before you sit down than deciding it as you go.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Yora

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:12:35 PM »
If you write something that you don't find exciting, then it could either be that it's just not really your type of story or scene, or that it's boring to everyone. You can't make it fun for everyone, but at least you should try to make sure that some tastes will enjoy it. If you think it's cool, then there are at least some people who also like it.

In addition, most people write because they enjoy it and not because they feel forced to. If you don't enjoy your own story it's unlikely you'll be doing it for much longer. What's the point of spending time writing when the process is a chore?
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
Yes but there is a difference between enjoying writing a high fantasy centaur coming of age story with erotic elements and enjoying writing a dynamic space sci Fi. I'd say you have more chance to publish and sell with the second than the first, though both definitely will find readership. When you see the stuff popular on watt pad really...
But I think it comes down to how much you're ready to battle over publication. Writing just what you like might well lead to struggles later on if it fits no obvious market with interested publishers. Bending your choices to apply your skills and motivation to more marketable stories will just make your life easier when time comes to get that publishing deal.
But indeed not everyone writes in order to get published.
I'm unfazed by the article's advice really. I don't feel like I can apply it to heavy discovery writing. I don't especially wish I would write more but rather that I'd have more writing time in my days.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 07:30:54 AM »
I just have a problem with this bit:
Aaron realized if she was bored writing it, her readers would be bored reading it.
She assumes that everyone who will read her books has exactly the same likes/dislikes as her, when that's not necessarily true...

ahaha I'm always bored editing, which is why wonder if my editing is making the story worse...

Yes but there is a difference between enjoying writing a high fantasy centaur coming of age story with erotic elements and enjoying writing a dynamic space sci Fi. I'd say you have more chance to publish and sell with the second than the first, though both definitely will find readership. When you see the stuff popular on watt pad really...

Ummmmmmm, Amazon might beg to differ.

Romance sells like 1000 times more than any other genre! If it's got explicit sex you're not just hitting a genre but a fetish, and I have a feeling the Sex-with-centaurs readership is second only to the sex-with-werewolves one. And if you tire of both centaurs and werewolves, there's always Chuck Tingle:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:44:09 AM by Bradley Darewood »