September 21, 2017, 06:32:55 PM

Author Topic: New Author  (Read 316 times)

Offline Longshaddow

New Author
« on: September 05, 2017, 02:29:55 PM »
Hi everybody,
my name is Leo and I am a new author.  I have just published my first book 'Kandor The Warrior' through createspace.  I notice quite a few have done the same here.  I am one of those writers who had to self publish due to the strong competitiveness of the industry.  I am currently writing the sequel.

I have followed advice and written to a few newspapers; fingers crossed; for reviews.  I found this website and must say it looks great.

I am interested in conversing with like minded people, authors included.  I played a lot of dungeons and dragons as a child and the fantasy genre is a big part of my life.  Who doesn't want some sort of escapism?  My second book contains even more magic and swordplay.  If the reader is into the esoteric and fascinated by the magical veil that separates reality and fantasy then my book will be an interesting read.

So again, my name is Leo and it is a pleasure to meet you all.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:53:19 PM by Longshaddow »

Offline Longshaddow

Re: New Author
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »
Hi again guys,
Leo here.

Here is a little verse I penned during one of many sleepless nights

Insomnia

Tick Tock... Tick Tock...Tick Tock
In my head or simply on the wall the sound of the clock
Watching the hands go round and round
The constant repetition of that sound

Thoughts reverberating through my head
Over and over feelings of dread
Never ending like a silent pest
Will I ever get some needful rest

A crescendo of noise like a freight train through the night racing
A caged Tiger maddened and continuously pacing
An orchestra of voices distracting for sure
Falling asleep is such a chore

Oh! My sanity is waning for goodness sake
This feeling of being forever awake
Will I ever fall into slumber? Just a little sleep
And dream nice dreams and have memories to keep

The walls are watching, the ceiling, the floor
Oh! Is there anything that can cure?
This Insomnia that plagues me through the night
Eyes wide awake until it gets light

It's Four O'clock and outside birds are singing
And still in my mind bells are ringing
Yet deafening the silence around and within
Sleep! Sleep! Sleep! My consciousness needs healing

Just a snooze, even if fleeting
But all I can hear is my own heart beating
Eyes are sore and forehead throbbing
It's a forlorn melancholy like a Baby sobbing

My cat opens one eye with a curious look
As I churn through another chapter of a book
Yet tiredness does not descend on me still
Only a shudder from a sudden chill

Insomnia eats away at one's Soul
Black and endless like an ever expanding hole
It's the Witching Hour as I write this verse
I'll only sleep when I am lead in a Hearse

In a few hours it'll be time to rise...Oh! the emptiness and pain
And when the day is through...I'll do it all over again

Offline Longshaddow

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 03:35:18 PM »
Hmm!  No welcome people?  Maybe it is my poem.

😮

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »
Oh, sorry @Longshaddow, people probably didn't notice. You see, there's a separate section for introductions, hehe ;D
We've also been quiet for a bit, with real life interfering in our forum time, hehe

Anyway, welcome Leo!
Feel free to read and post anywhere, even old threads, if you think they're interesting. We could use with more posting prompts :D

We've also got our Monthly Writing Contest: if you'd like to give it a try, our September theme is "Regret and Redemption" - http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?board=252.0
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Longshaddow

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 04:05:33 PM »
OK cool.  I am going to regenerate the Fantasy Fiction drama with my saga of books.

Try anyway.

Lol!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 04:21:32 PM »
Hello Leo, which part of the globe do you come from are you near narnia?

Who are your favourite authors?

Which fantasy sub genres do you like best?

Do you have an overflowing bookcase?

What do you truely think of Robin hobb?

Do you prefer goats to dragons?

Have you ever done fencing,archery, jousting or juggling?

Welcome Leo.

I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Longshaddow

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 04:54:59 PM »
😁. No jousting unfortunately.  I am proficient with a staff though.  Also I have practiced Muay Thai, Karate and Wing Chung
I used to play far too much dungeon's and dragon's as a child and teen.  Or maybe not.  Lol!

I also read; or rather played all of the fighting fantasy game books many, many moons ago.  I have just turned fifty by the way. 

Must have read Tolkien, Jules Verne, Lewis Carol, so many times over the years.  I often wonder if I am actually a character in one of my books.  Well the second one anyway.  Ha ha
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 11:47:26 AM by Longshaddow »

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 05:01:16 PM »
Did you play in dragonlance, forgotten realms, grey hawk or ravenloft? Or home brew.

Firetop mountain, I remember those fighting fantasy books.

I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Longshaddow

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 05:15:19 PM »
I played might and magic.  The old analogue game on tape where one had to type the answers from multiple choice questions.  Like the fighting fantasy game books by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson.  These two guys shaped the way I write today.  I live in Bristol in the UK and attended a comprehensive school.  I left at fifteen and a half as my birthday falls in late August.  Hence the pseudonym, Leo.
I also played Thief, all of them.  Dark Messiah.  Assassins Creed.  Love the Shannara Chronicles.  Fantastic concept how this paradigm we live in is in the distant past in Terry Brooks fantasy realm.  I also like Stephen King and Peter Straub.   Shadowland  is a fantastic book.  Oh! And a shout out to Ian Banks.  The Wasp Factory is brilliant!

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »
Welcome, Leo!
I saw the poem and kept marking it "unread" so I'd come back to it.
Yikes, insomnia must be dreadful. I have the rare one night bout of it, and that's maddening enough.

If you're looking for sort-of-authors and ex-D*D players, look no further. One of my best friends in high school had edition 1. His version of Clerics was Rabbis throwing exploding bagels. A good time was had by all when he DM'd. Another friend and I played D&D while moving from class to class, sometimes figuring out how to continue playing during Pre-Calculus. (Which is no doubt why I had a 67 average when I needed a 70 to pass the class. They gifted me the three points to get rid of me, which is another story.)

As for sort-of-authoring, I've been writing stories for F-Fs monthly contest since I discovered this wonderful site in November 2014. A 1,500 word limit is bracing, to say the least. But I love the contest and the interaction with the frequent and infrequent contributors (and Mods!).

Thanks for a reason to be on F-F during my lunch hour. Cheers, and welcome again!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:33:25 PM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 12:05:53 AM »
Welcome. Always glad to have another Fighting Fantasy fan around. I was lucky enough to get to the 35th anniversary celebrations on Saturday. So many signatures gained. A nicer bunch of people you couldn't imagine.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 12:41:19 AM »
Hi, Longshadow. Are you also a fan of The Black Company, by the way?  ::)
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Longshaddow

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 11:34:19 AM »
I will have to check out The Black Company.  I am especially interested in the mysticism of the druids.  Really interesting topic.  I have in my research found similarities to Egyptian and Hebrew and Celtic mysticism.

I am writing a sequel to my first novel at present.  I do include a lot of different magic concepts tied up in characters in the plot.  It took a long time to get Kandor The Warrior into print and it was a momentous day holding the physical copy for the first time.  I am new to this self publishing process and did not realise that the writing and publishing is the less stressful part of the process; even though it took so long.  The hard part is exposure.  Unfortunately I do not have the funds or capital to advertise or promote. There is a fantastic option on my Amazon Authors page but, alas if one has not got the funds...

Anyhow, I am glad I found this site.  I have subscribed to a few and must say Fantasy Faction is the best one out of the six I signed up to.  I have been plugging my book in the comments of YouTube channels and for the most part it has been quite positive.  I did have a negative reply from one blogger though.  I think my plug was not welcome.  Well I just apologized and moved on.  I really want to get my new fantasy realm out there.  I have had lots of good feedback which, is pleasing and warms my heart.  I know that there is love and compassion out there.  For every negative comment I get at least twenty overshadow it.

😇
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 11:39:49 AM by Longshaddow »

Offline Longshaddow

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 11:37:33 AM »
I bet it was fun at the 35th anniversary of Fighting Fantasy... Man that makes me feel old.
It does not seem over three decades when I first played the Warlock Of Firetop Mountain. 

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »
I bet it was fun at the 35th anniversary of Fighting Fantasy... Man that makes me feel old.
It does not seem over three decades when I first played the Warlock Of Firetop Mountain.

It was great. I think everyone there was about twice my age (I'm 21). Weird to think there's a new generation of youngsters reading them after me, as well.