October 24, 2017, 10:40:42 AM

Author Topic: Interview with Anna Stephens' agent  (Read 265 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Interview with Anna Stephens' agent
« on: September 21, 2017, 06:35:29 PM »
On the main site:
http://fantasy-faction.com/2017/agent-harry-illingworth-interview

He gives some good pointers, and who knows, maybe he'll become the agent of some of you writers :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Anna Stephens' agent
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 07:36:34 PM »
I wonder if there's any agents out there who have turned down a story and it became a smash hit? Bit Like that guy who turned down the Beatles.

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
Plenty.

Harry Potter, Stephen King's Carrie, Chronicles of Narnia, Da Vinci Code, heck, even War of the Worlds were rejected various times.

Agatha Christie was rejected multiple times until finally landing a deal (and I think she sold more than $2 billion), I remember when reading The Diary of Anne Frank way back in school that the teacher said the book was rejected too.

Dune received dozens and dozens of rejections throughout the years. Even the Godfather and The Wizard of Oz had rejections.

Agents and editors do have knowledge and can help a lot of people, sure. But all this stuff always make me say to anyone to take their advice with a pretty big dose of salt. 
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:45:56 PM »
Plenty.

Harry Potter, Stephen King's Carrie, Chronicles of Narnia, Da Vinci Code, heck, even War of the Worlds were rejected various times.

Agatha Christie was rejected multiple times until finally landing a deal (and I think she sold more than $2 billion), I remember when reading The Diary of Anne Frank way back in school that the teacher said the book was rejected too.

Dune received dozens and dozens of rejections throughout the years. Even the Godfather and The Wizard of Oz had rejections.

Agents and editors do have knowledge and can help a lot of people, sure. But all this stuff always make me say to anyone to take their advice with a pretty big dose of salt.
All of this is true, but we don't know in what form they were rejected. The books could have gone through drafts after each rejection before succeeding, in which case the rejections actually helped the work improve.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:10:49 PM »
That's also true. I don't think I remember many authors who mention how much rewriting, editing and etc they did (or if they didn't and just kept submitting) until they got accepted.

And even after being accepted there can still be major alterations and a publisher buys it because of the potential the work might have.

I remember Brent Weeks talking about the process, that he was accepted by an agent and the work bought by the publisher... only to receive much later like 30 pages of things they thought needed fixing and it baffled him that why they would buy his story if they thought it was that flawed.

After calming down, he went through it, decided that they had a point on some things but not on others and kept them as he intended.

So books can get accepted even if they are far from "perfect". But I don't know how common his situation is.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:16:41 PM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:59:28 PM »
So books can get accepted even if they are far from "perfect". But I don't know how common his situation is.

Pretty common. I did a round of edits with my agent after I signed and before I went out on submission. (I would've expected another round with a publisher.) Another author signed with my agent not only did a huge round of edits with the publisher, including cutting 25k words in length, but had them say, "We think this is actually book 2, can you write us book 1?"

Personally, this is part of what makes me excited about being involved in traditional publishing--having all these experienced and engaged professionals helping me make my book better!

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 09:40:30 AM »
I gotta weigh in on this thread!  8)

It's true what Harry said, Godblind was rejected 36 times before I signed with him. We then rewrote the second half of the book and sold it. We then rewrote the first half of the book with the publishers. We then rewrote the ending with the publishers...

It's about seeing potential, rather than seeing the finished product. All authors get rewrites, even 40-year veterans like Stephen King. Anyone who says they don't is fibbing.

But that's the fun part of the process, getting a professional's opinion. You don't have to agree with everything, but they're there to make it a better book, not to sabotage your efforts. That's the most important thing to remember, because it can be hard being told your favourite scene needs to be cut.