September 21, 2017, 06:39:01 PM

Author Topic: The Defenders (Netflix)  (Read 617 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
The Defenders (Netflix)
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:03:15 PM »
For those who may have forgotten, The Defenders premieres on Netflix on August 18 (this Friday!) and features the team up of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist.

The initial reactions from ComicCon (where they screened the first episode) were very positive, and from watching the trailers, I'm super hyped to see how the crossover plays out. It's also going to be eight episodes (instead of the 12 or 13 of the individual series) which hopefully means it'll be a lot tighter, even if we don't get quite as much show.

Trailer 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3m7B4v6Zc

Trailer 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_6J9BqgonU
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: The Defenders (Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 04:41:55 AM »
For those who may have forgotten, The Defenders premieres on Netflix on August 18 (this Friday!) and features the team up of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist.

The initial reactions from ComicCon (where they screened the first episode) were very positive, and from watching the trailers, I'm super hyped to see how the crossover plays out. It's also going to be eight episodes (instead of the 12 or 13 of the individual series) which hopefully means it'll be a lot tighter, even if we don't get quite as much show.

Trailer 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3m7B4v6Zc

Trailer 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_6J9BqgonU

I'm looking forward to this x10. Although out of all the heroes I have only watched season 1 and 2 of Daredevil, I'm really hyped for this. Will a person who had only been exposed to Daredevil be able to make sense of the events and characters in The Defenders, though?  ???
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:18:59 AM »
I'm looking forward to this x10. Although out of all the heroes I have only watched season 1 and 2 of Daredevil, I'm really hyped for this. Will a person who had only been exposed to Daredevil be able to make sense of the events and characters in The Defenders, though?  ???

I think you'll be okay if you read a wikipedia summary of Iron Fist. Jessica Jones is pretty much entirely standalone (though you should watch it ... it's great!). Luke Cage was fairly self-contained as well. Neither introduced elements I think are going to play heavily into The Defenders ... however, you won't have any background for the supporting characters from those two shows, who I think are going to play in the show.

The reason I recommend reading up on what happened in Iron Fist is that it did the most to build new mythology leading to The Defenders, as it delves into very directly into the plans of The Hand (first introduced in Daredevil) and significantly expands on the mythology behind them, their goals, and their major players, all of which should come to a head in The Defenders. So I'd at least familiarize yourself with that.

That said, if you do get time to watch the other shows, I'd recommend them. Jessica Jones is my top pick, just for how f'ed up and dark it went, following very closely by Daredevil, and I'd put Luke Cage and Iron Fist tied below those. Iron Fist got a lot of Internet hate, but I actually enjoyed it.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
Iron Fist sucks!

Really. I was so mad that I wasted so much time watching it, looking for a connection between the shows. Nothing that new with The Hand was introduced. Just some small stuff that could've easily been covered in the Defenders. And the fact that they had British actors play Asian characters... I'm not sure if there's more than one, but specifically the girl. What the hell! It pissed me off. And unfortunately, Luke Cage isn't much better, with a clichet plot compared with the other two. It at least had more going on with the other shows though, so I was okay with that.

Back on topic though, I can't wait for this show! Unfortunately I start college the day it comes out so... I guess I'll have to wait. :(

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »
I only liked Daredevil , didn't think much of the other three myself.
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Skip

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:22:39 AM »
Interesting. I thought Luke Cage was great. Jessica Jones was a little hard for me to get into, but by Episode 3 or 4 I was all in. Daredevil was great, mainly because it was the most fun of these three, but I also thought it was more uneven than the others.

Iron Fist was merely blah for me. Nothing drew me in. Then again, I may be carrying over my old prejudice--I was a fan of Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu and regarded Iron Fist as an interloper. :)

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 05:49:19 AM »
Hey, look at that! Short summaries of the other four shows! Might be helpful if you haven't had time to watch them.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-what-all-the-defenders-were-up-to-before-the-defe-1797960912

Offline DaveEllis

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »
I loved Daredevil series 1 and the Punisher arc of Series 2 but felt they dropped the ball a bit with Electra.

Jessica Jones was hands down the best series purely for David Tennant's performance, and some of the downright creepy situations he created.

Luke Cage was alright, some good moments but failed on the villain front I felt.  Its at this point I wish they would sometimes go more comic booky with their villains...they're all costumed villains in the comics turned into business men and gangsters in the shows.  I know its supposed to be grounded realism but still have some fun.

Iron Fist, looking at reviews I appear to be the only one who liked the first few episodes and hated the end.  I preferred him when he was naïve, happy go lucky and funny because it was different to the other three Defenders...but with each episode he gets more angry and more brooding and by the end I was bored.  Again the villains are just business men and gangsters (ninja gangsters but still gangsters).  Colleen Wing was brilliant tho (except for a late in the day twist I hated) and I want Netflix to greenlight the Nightwing detective agency as a show soon with Colleen and Misty Night.

Overall, the biggest problems so far have been too wedded to realism when I want a bit of comic book 4 colour glory.  (Where's Stiltman?  Ok forget that one.)  And every single series, even the good ones have been too long.  From the Defenders trailers I haven't seen too much to solve the former, but at 8 episodes I hope it solves the latter.

As a finisher I'll just say, Kingpin is dead on and the sooner they bring him into the Spider-man films the better in my opinion.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 02:11:18 PM »
Iron Fist, looking at reviews I appear to be the only one who liked the first few episodes and hated the end.  I preferred him when he was naïve, happy go lucky and funny because it was different to the other three Defenders...but with each episode he gets more angry and more brooding and by the end I was bored.  Again the villains are just business men and gangsters (ninja gangsters but still gangsters).  Colleen Wing was brilliant tho (except for a late in the day twist I hated) and I want Netflix to greenlight the Nightwing detective agency as a show soon with Colleen and Misty Night.

I enjoyed Iron Fist a bit more in the beginning, and ultimately just stopped watching. It wasnt really a concious decision, like "this sucks, I'm not watching any more", but just always chose something else over it. Maybe I'll see how many episodes I have left to figure out if its worth watching before watching the Defenders.

Daredevil was hands down my favorite of them, the Jessica Jones, then Luke Cage (which I always wanted to like more, it just seemed a bit .... slow.)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 02:34:51 PM »
I'm not sure about watching this, and I'd like some advice.

I watched the first season of Daredevil, and I thought it was phenomenal. But the second season just depressed me. Everything the good guys tried to accomplish in that season failed, except for saving that group of people in the final episode, and Wilson Fisk is regaining his power.
Just not fun viewing.

Next I watched the first few episodes of Jessica Jones, and it's about a woman recovering from horrible abuse by a dude who is more Ted Bundy than supervillain, who just goes around pettily committing acts of extreme cruelty. Again, not fun. Just disturbing and depressing.

I haven't felt compelled to check out Luke Cage, and I've heard nothing but bad things about Iron Fist.

Can I just jump in and watch Defenders, with what I know?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:37:55 PM by Eli_Freysson »
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 02:48:52 PM »
I'm not sure about watching this, and I'd like some advice.

I watched the first season of Daredevil, and I thought it was phenomenal. But the second season just depressed me. Everything the good guys tried to accomplish in that season failed, except for saving that group of people in the final episode, and Wilson Fisk is regaining his power.
Just not fun viewing.

Next I watched the first few episodes of Jessica Jones, and it's about a woman recovering from horrible abuse by a dude who is more Ted Bundy than supervillain, who just goes around pettily committing acts of extreme cruelty. Again, not fun. Just disturbing and depressing.

I haven't felt compelled to check out Luke Cage, and I've heard nothing but bad things about Iron Fist.

Can I just jump in and watch Defenders, with what I know?

Probably yes - the summaries I posted give you everything you need to know That said, thought it had a few faults, I'd say Luke Cage was actually the least dark of all four series. Luke is essentially invulnerable, meaning he can solve situations with non-violence (and often does) and I think it was really smart, on Marvel's part, to make the Luke in the series a moral person who tries to inspire the same in others. So if you're looking for a show that's not as dark as the others, that's the one to watch!

Offline Stew Hotston

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
I'm one of the few who liked Iron Fist. I think the character work was excellent and it was a brave decision by the showrunners to bring Danny in as a child in a man's body who has not idea about the world he's walking back into. If Daredevil was about consequences, Luke Cage about being a black man and Jessica Jones about being a survivor of abuse, then Iron Fist was about missing fathers.

Just on the business side of it I see massive parallels with how most of my (non-executive) friends view corporations and how they work and I think they captured all of that pretty well even if the decision trees were pared down to give the CEO more agency.

I also liked how they captured his childishness/teenagerness and let that be the guiding part of his character.

I'm on ep 4 of defenders and so far I think it is excellent. From the use of single colour palettes for each character until they're brought together to how they capture how each of them views the world so differently, even when regarding the same issue.

The point about the netflix marvel series for me is that they've always been character dramas with superheroes not superhero dramas. This distinguishes them from the movies in a good way and the lack of cartoonish type behaviour and activity is a massive strong point. For me at least.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 02:02:43 AM »
I'm one of the few who liked Iron Fist.

I agree with most everything you wrote, as I'm one of the few who enjoyed it as well. I agree with some of the criticism (the fights could have been better, especially when compared to Daredevil) but I saw what they were trying to do and honestly, it was actually the most "even" of the four shows for me - it didn't really have any slumps, whereas the others had a few episodes that dragged. Also, I actually liked the way they spend so much time explaining how resurrection works (and the cost) in the show, the twist on the Frankenstein story, and the family dynamics of the Meachums. Oddly, that was one of the things people often said they hated, so, different strokes.

I'm on ep 4 of defenders and so far I think it is excellent. From the use of single colour palettes for each character until they're brought together to how they capture how each of them views the world so differently, even when regarding the same issue.

I very much enjoyed The Defenders (finished binging it last night) though it does sort of slack off at the end. The opening episodes were excellent, but in an opposite comparison of the other shows, the last few honestly felt rushed to me. The climax felt sloppier than any climax since Luke Cage, so while I'm still glad I watched it, it definitely could have had a stronger ending. But honestly, I just loved all the crossover stuff they did between the shows and characters. That's the best kind of fanservice. :)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 04:36:06 AM »
Jessica Jones was hands down the best series purely for David Tennant's performance, and some of the downright creepy situations he created.

Yes!  I was terrified of him even before he showed up on screen, and when he did it was perfect.  They also *nailed* PTSD better than I've ever seen.

I haven't seen the defenders yet so I should prolly shut up, but I had to second that sentiment real quick

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Soulfinder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • Do Something Write
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »
I thought Daredevil Season 1 was absolutely brilliant. S2 couldn't keep it up, both the plot and the brilliantly choreographed action scenes had gone downhill, although Jon Bernthal works really well as the Punisher.

Jessica Jones had a lot of good things but felt a bit too drawn out. I don't mind dark, brooding, or even slow, but I felt it could have had a bit more meat on its bones. That being said, good performances all around.

Luke Cage was good for reasons previously mentioned and takes a step away from the darkness of the other two. By this time, it was getting a little convoluted that Claire just kept running into ALL of these people at random, but whatever

Iron Fist was meh. I did finish it but was never particularly engaged.

Defenders is surprisingly good, so far (I'm on ep 5). A bit choppy in the buildup with all the different storylines, but takes off really well in ep 3. The scene when they all get together for the first time was great. Definitely worth watching, in my opinion, even if you didn't love all of the previous series. If you didn't watch all of them, I'd suggest going through both seasons of Daredevil, at least, before you dig in.