October 23, 2017, 12:02:12 AM

Author Topic: SPFBO: FF Update thread  (Read 515 times)

Offline G_R_Matthews

SPFBO: FF Update thread
« on: July 24, 2017, 12:30:51 PM »
I'll try to stick links to the SPFBO competition in his top post as and when we put something up on the main site.

The first five fall:
http://fantasy-faction.com/2017/spfbo3-the-first-five-fall
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: SPFBO: FF Update thread
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:51:18 PM »
Thanks!

The forumite is still in the run :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:04:45 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 03:21:32 PM »
Cleared the first hurdle. Don't know how far I'll make it, but at least I wasn't eliminated in the first batch.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
Go Empire of Chains!

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 07:21:24 PM »
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 04:23:17 AM »
Go Empire of Chains!

*cheers*

I'm still in that phase where I'm worried that it completely sucks. I've been making a decent amount of sales (better than I expected actually), but the reviews have been very slow to come in. I know people are reading it because it's in Kindle Unlimited, and I'm having a decent number of pages read. It would be nice to know if it's any good, though.  ;)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 05:25:00 AM »
I'm still in that phase where I'm worried that it completely sucks. I've been making a decent amount of sales (better than I expected actually), but the reviews have been very slow to come in. I know people are reading it because it's in Kindle Unlimited, and I'm having a decent number of pages read. It would be nice to know if it's any good, though.  ;)

Don't worry about reviews coming in. Having a reader actually take time to review your book on Amazon is like finding a unicorn. It's much rarer than you'd think.

Case in point: I've sold around 800 copies of my first book since it re-launched in May 2015 (e-books). It currently has 15 reviews. That's a %1.93 percent conversion, and it's probably half that in regards to people who purchased the book without meeting me. I'd say at least half of the reviews are from people who met me in person at a convention, and decided to take time to review my book (and a few from F-F folks, as well ;P) So among people who bought my book on Amazon without meeting me, I've probably got closer to a 0.9% review rate.

Personally, I think Goodreads is a better barometer for how people feel about your book. Glyphbinder has 46 reviews there (it's done okay) which is 3 times more than what it has on Amazon. I think, in general, people who review books are more inclined to review books on Goodreads. People just don't review on Amazon unless they feel strongly enough about the author to want to help them out (which means they likely met you at least once, or your book is literally one of their favorites among all books). I should probably do more on Goodreads, honestly, but I don't know much about how it works, and I'm mostly running dark on marketing while I build up to my next release in October (which I might post on here in a month or so).

So, in summary, lack of reviews is not a bad sign, and in fact ridiculously common. So long as you're not getting a ton of refunds (remember, people *can* refund your book if they hate it) you're probably doing fine. :)
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »
Goodreads just have a much better design and interface for that indeed. Much easier to comment, to get notifications, forums, book clubs, etc. Amazon is a shop. Not really where I want to go to discuss books  :P

About ratings and sales, Mark Lawrence said that if you multiply the number of ratings (not reviews) by 7.8 you get a pretty accurate number that reflects sales, unless you have way too many or too few ratings. He tested it with some other authors and except one or another almost everyone said it worked, both traditional and self published. I think I even saw others passing this around.

I don't know about others but for me writing a review takes a lot of time. I finished a book yesterday and despite knowing exactly what I wanted to say about it, it still took me almost two hours to write the thing. I understand why most people just give stars and rarely comment.   
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:27:45 PM »
I'd be happy to settle for star ratings on Amazon as that's the prime mover and shaker of sales - see a lot of stars and ratings = more likely to buy the book.

The review on Amazon can be short and sweet... a single line.

Save your energy for the Goodreads review, if you want to put one there.

Amazon to sell the book quick... Goodreads to sell it over time :)

www.grmatthews.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 10:21:49 PM »
I don't write reviews because I'm lazy. It's that simple. Then I would be talking about the book on Goodreads, then copy and paste the review to Fantasy-Faction, then tell all my other friends about it in our voice chat group... It adds up.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
Yeah, I'm really bad at rating and reviewing books, too. Sorry.

I mention them on here, and maybe in a few other places, but I don't think I've ever reviewed a book on Amazon, and I don't think I've even managed to leave a rating. Leaving aside the issue of using an elderly eInk Kindle which is usually offline, I want some time to mull things over before committing to a rating or writing a review, and then I probably won't ever get back to the Kindle page.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 01:47:14 AM »
I usually do a Goodreads review of every book I read. I remember to put a few of them on Amazon, but most of the time, I read the book from the library, so I wouldn't be a verified purchase.

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
And here was me about to ask you all whether you wanted to be ARC readers :)

https://www.grmatthews.com/single-post/2017/07/25/eArcs-to-a-loving-home

www.grmatthews.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »
So sorry, @Ryan Mueller, your time seems to have come :-\

http://fantasy-faction.com/2017/spfbo3-the-next-five-fall

It was still a good experience, right? Good luck for the future!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 03:18:13 PM »
So sorry, @Ryan Mueller, your time seems to have come :-\

http://fantasy-faction.com/2017/spfbo3-the-next-five-fall

It was still a good experience, right? Good luck for the future!

It was a bit disappointing, but I went in with no expectations. I'm happy to be part of the experience. Thankfully, I have two books that should be ready in time for next year's contest, and I feel they'll have a better chance. I took a lot of risks with Empire of Chains, and I'm not sure how well they all paid off.

I've also grown quite a bit as a writer since writing it, and I'm learning a lot from the experience of having it out there (even if some of the lessons are painful at first).