July 23, 2017, 05:52:20 AM

Author Topic: Greeting new friends!  (Read 198 times)

Offline Tjergoz

• Seeker
    • View Profile
Greeting new friends!
« on: July 07, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
Hi! I'm Tjergoz! 20 years old and from the Netherlands. I have been writing for six years now I think. I love fantasy books since I was little and I also love history (also since I was little)
Hobbies are reading. Love historical accounts, fantasy, sci fi. A lot, really. Also like model building, gaming, Singing and ofcourse writing.

Stumbled on this forum by accident really. Was looking for a way to make nice fictional family trees and look what I've gotten myself into xP

Anyway I would love to meet new folks here who share a same passion for fantasy and world building!
(Insert personal message)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Greeting new friends!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:40:22 PM »
Welcome Tjergoz!
Yay for Netherlands: in that area we have people from Belgium and Germany, so there was a space for you to fit in, hehe
Edit: oops it seems one of the recent newbies is from there, but she hasn't really posted much...

I hope you have fun around here, feel free to read and post anywhere, even old threads :)

We're a bit crazy sometimes, but pretty harmless ;)

The King's Paws is the general section where we talk about everything.
(http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0)
There's the writing contest as well if you want to give that a shot. This month's theme is a random story generator.
(http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=10816.0)

Some of the forum features are broken, but we have hope for the future, hehe

Who are your favourite writers?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:42:52 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Tjergoz

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »
Welcome Tjergoz!
Yay for Netherlands: in that area we have people from Belgium and Germany, so there was a space for you to fit in, hehe
Edit: oops it seems one of the recent newbies is from there, but she hasn't really posted much...

I hope you have fun around here, feel free to read and post anywhere, even old threads :)

We're a bit crazy sometimes, but pretty harmless ;)

The King's Paws is the general section where we talk about everything.
(http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0)
There's the writing contest as well if you want to give that a shot. This month's theme is a random story generator.
(http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=10816.0)

Some of the forum features are broken, but we have hope for the future, hehe

Who are your favourite writers?

Thanks for the introduction!

Favourite writers? Hmm... Well I love Tolkien and Martin ofcourse. Simon Sebag Montefiore is also a very good author. I think this is my top three. How about you?

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »
Welcome Tjergoz

Always great to see another writer join the fray.
You should def check out the writing contest if that's your thing like bea said.

An unofficial discord too if you like gibbering directly with some of the forum folks.
https://discord.gg/MkHNeK4

What's your general focus when worldbuilding?

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 03:34:21 PM »
Welcome! You had me at Tolkien  ;D
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Tjergoz

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »
Welcome Tjergoz

Always great to see another writer join the fray.
You should def check out the writing contest if that's your thing like bea said.

An unofficial discord too if you like gibbering directly with some of the forum folks.
https://discord.gg/MkHNeK4

What's your general focus when worldbuilding?

Well, I love history, so I create a lot of history in my world (though sometimes a little too much). Every building, every city, needs to have a history. I wanted to create some realistic religions too, but that proved to be more difficult than I thought so I kinda put a halt to that for now.

Offline Tjergoz

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 08:30:17 PM »
Welcome! You had me at Tolkien  ;D

Fellow Tolkien fan yuy!

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 09:33:32 PM »
How about you?

It's hard to choose, but I'd say Mark Lawrence, Robin Hobb, John Gwynne and Jen Williams are very much at the top :D
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 09:39:15 PM »
If you could only read one of those authors ever again which one would you pick?
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 10:02:35 PM »
Is that for me?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:10:00 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 10:04:45 PM »
yep, Only one! haha
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
yep, Only one! haha
I'll still find a way to choose 2 ;)

If it was just having access to one of them and not be allowed to read anything else, then I think I'd choose Robin because there are 16 books (plus extras), so more variety, hehe. And I could make a study out of it, finding connections, drawing maps, genealogies, and so on...

If it was excluding the other 3, but I could still read other books, then I'd choose Mark, because I love the prose.

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 11:38:19 PM »
Hello and welcome @Tjergoz, have a look around,plenty of threads to choose from and join in anywhere.  ;D
"You have to have an open mind, but not so open that your brain leaks out."    Australian Chief Scientist Alan Finkel replying to persistent science denying Senator.