October 23, 2017, 10:29:25 AM

Author Topic: Domestic Issues  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: Domestic Issues
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
Little hand-held taser? ;)

Damn. I knew the dude behind me in that church was acting suspiciously!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »
I don't generally tell people this because they'll think I'm crazy, but I've had legit ghosts before. Twice. For reals.

Dude you can't say that and not expand! I love ghost stories. Tell me more. No judgment, just interested.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »
I just put the ads for the furniture I want to sell on the Preloved site.
Tomorrow I might add them to Gumtree too.
It's collection only, so none of you could buy, even if interested :)
(does it say something that I still have the ikea manuals? :-[)

I also entered the Virgin Media shop to ask about the bundle costs, and came out with a pre-contract (special deal, free installation). It seems it's bye bye Sky, this is cheaper and with more channels!
(I'm just going to miss the last season of Game of Thrones because it doesn't have Sky Atlantic! How will I be able to watch it? :o)

Things are moving!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:39:11 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2017, 10:08:25 PM »
I don't generally tell people this because they'll think I'm crazy, but I've had legit ghosts before. Twice. For reals.

Dude you can't say that and not expand! I love ghost stories. Tell me more. No judgment, just interested.

Sooo one of them involved an old haunted 1800s ranch with a super heavy table repeatedly sliding all the way across a level room to a certain spot, bats, human vertebrate in the basement, a blood moon, a mosquito swarm, and nightly nightmares.  Another time (idk if this counts) I had a dream my great aunt was sitting with me in a dark theater and we ignored the movie and had a really nice, intimate conversation and when the lights came on she was dead, when I woke up i found out she had died in her sleep that night.

The other one was in my old place in an enormous artists loft around my birthday (which falls near Samhain).  For 3 days a ghost made me tea.The first day I was up till 3am working on an article for publication, all my roomates were out of town, and I heard "hssssssssss!" I walked into the kitchen and the teapot was boiling.  The range was turned off tho.  I lifted it up, and the plate beneath was super hot.  So I moved it to the other side and went back to work.  A few minutes later "hsssssssss!"  The other side was boiling too!  I poured myself peppermint tea (my favorite) and it stopped.  I looked around the loft and there was no one but me.  The second day around 1am I was washing dishes and it started doing it right behind me, like right in front of me.  I moved it to the other side, and it did it again.  I poured myself tea and it stopped.  I told all my friends and they just laughed at me and said I was crazy or drunk or something.  Finally the third day we were celebrating my birthday and going from a bar to an afterparty in a warehouse.  Me and my friend Isaac, dropped by my loft to grab some alcohol around 2:30am.  Somehow I knew it was going to do it right then so I said, wait, Isaac, watch, the ghost is going to boil me tea.  He just looked at me like I was nuts.  Then the teapot started boiling.  And he was like "HOLY SHIT".  Then I took it off the hot plate and put it on the cool one and said, "Watch, it's going to boil on this side too."  And it did.  Isaac was freaking out.  then I poured myself tea.

Once my birthday was over, it never did it again.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:10:49 PM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2017, 10:23:26 PM »
That tea-making ghost is really weird :o
Maybe they were a butler/maid during their lives ;D
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:59 PM »
Sooo one of them involved an old haunted 1800s ranch with a super heavy table repeatedly sliding all the way across a level room to a certain spot, bats, human vertebrate in the basement, a blood moon, a mosquito swarm, and nightly nightmares.

Calling @xiagan.
If we ever have a ghosts month in the contest, Bradley has us dead to rights already.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2017, 12:54:13 AM »
I just put the ads for the furniture I want to sell on the Preloved site.
Tomorrow I might add them to Gumtree too.
Things are moving!

ScarletBea when I had quite a lot to get rid of, some free, others very reasonable, I found that if someone came for one thing they would make offers for quite few other items. If you are ready to strike a 'package bargain' may help get rid of things more quickly. Also had a stack of unwanted smaller items like china, glass, kitchen gadgets etc on a table that TBH I would have sent to charity shops later, but people made offers for some of those as well.

Good luck, things are getting very exciting but I know it is also nerve wracking with so much to do.  ;D
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »
Thanks, I've written on the ads that deals can be made if they buy the full set (for example bed + bedside tables + drawers).

I've just transferred the deposit to the solicitor *gulp* so much money :o

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2017, 06:34:36 PM »

Sooo one of them involved an old haunted 1800s ranch with a super heavy table repeatedly sliding all the way across a level room to a certain spot, bats, human vertebrate in the basement, a blood moon, a mosquito swarm, and nightly nightmares.  Another time (idk if this counts) I had a dream my great aunt was sitting with me in a dark theater and we ignored the movie and had a really nice, intimate conversation and when the lights came on she was dead, when I woke up i found out she had died in her sleep that night.

I had something similar once, but not with a human. When I was a kid I had a dream about my grandmother's dog, Gemini (I loved that dog) where I was playing with her outside our house. Once we were done playing Gemini said goodbye, and it felt like we were seeing each other for the last time. A couple of days later I found out Gemini passed away the day before I had the dream. Either it was a crazy coincidence, or I picked up on something (subconsciously) I saw my Mom do or say (maybe talking to my grandmother?) and my unconscious figured it out. Either way, weird!

The other one was in my old place in an enormous artists loft around my birthday (which falls near Samhain).  For 3 days a ghost made me tea.The first day I was up till 3am working on an article for publication, all my roomates were out of town, and I heard "hssssssssss!" I walked into the kitchen and the teapot was boiling.  The range was turned off tho.  I lifted it up, and the plate beneath was super hot.  So I moved it to the other side and went back to work.  A few minutes later "hsssssssss!"  The other side was boiling too!  I poured myself peppermint tea (my favorite) and it stopped.  I looked around the loft and there was no one but me. 

So wait! I have questions.

Did you already have a teapot sitting on the stove? Was there already tea and water in it? Did you plan to boil tea later and it started boiling before you were ready?

Also, I can share one weird story from when I was a teenager (15). A girl I dated for a couple of weeks when I was 14 (my first date, actually!) claimed to have a teenage ghost (boy) living in her room. She said he got angry (jealous?) sometimes when she had boys over. She lived in an older run-down house.

Anyway, one night we were hanging out on her couch, watching TV, and she mentioned the boy (ghost) had come around again. She could feel him when he was present. I thought she was screwing with me, but she told me to talk to him and I'd see he was real. So she asked him to open the door to her room, which was in sight by the TV and already open, but stationary.

Lo and behold, the door swings open (toward us) by a foot or so. Funny, right, but coincidental. So at her urging, I ask the "ghost" to close the door. It then swings closed by a foot, almost to slamming (but doesn't). More weird. Then I ask him to open it, and it swings open again, toward us, by about the same amount. At that point I got freaked out enough I stopped asking the door to do things.

Looking back, the only other person in the house at the time was her grandmother, who lived alone (she lived with her grandmother full time, so I'm not sure where her parents were) and as far as I knew, her grandmother was asleep at the time. So, unless her sixty year old grandmother decided to hide in her room, out of sight, and screw with me by swinging the door open and closed in a way I couldn't see (like with a string or something?) I have no way to explain how the door was doing that.

Swinging one way would make sense, but swinging both ways is harder to explain. A draft drawing the door open and closed could explain how it swung both ways, but I can't explain how it was timed so perfectly with our requests (didn't open or close until we *asked* the ghost to open or close it). Still don't really have an explanation for it to this day.

The only thing I can think of is that the girl I was dating was eager for attention (whens she broke up with me two weeks later, I found out she was dating two other guys for the weeks we dated and didn't tell me ... typical high school drama). But she was definitely at the stage where boys were interesting but she was playing around with her options. So, maybe she had some elaborate system to swing the door open and closed, which she could use from the couch while she was sitting in my lap, without me noticing...

Yeah. I got nothing.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
Sorry for going on about this, but this is it: the house is officially mine now ;D ;D

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2017, 08:54:15 PM »
Pix please Ms. Scarlet
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2017, 01:00:10 AM »
Sorry for going on about this, but this is it: the house is officially mine now ;D ;D

Yay!!!
When you leave your apartment, will that be Scexit? Or Beatrexit? Or...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:01:51 AM by Jmack »

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2017, 04:28:09 AM »

Yay!!!
When you leave your apartment, will that be Scexit? Or Beatrexit? Or...

@ScarletBea
Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Ok @tebakutis

Did you already have a teapot sitting on the stove? Was there already tea and water in it?

I make myself tea throughout the day and just leave the remaining water in the pot, refilling as needed. I had no specific plans to make tea right then that's just the most convenient place for my lazy ass to keep the pot. It sat there on its own all day. Just chilling till the wee hours of the night.

It may have been a ghost, but maybe it was the Santa Muerte bc it was close to día de los muertos and I had lit a candle to her and I've heard she likes water offerings and people believe bubbles in water means she's listening to you. Just heard that a few days ago.

Haha I keep picturing your GF and her grandma conspiring to prank you!

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2017, 07:03:37 AM »
Have you got a spare room for Bradley? Or a sofa he can rest on ? His far too polite to ask for himself.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2017, 08:06:56 AM »
hehe thanks.
And I think it will be a plain old 'exit', since they can't keep me back and aren't requesting concessions and money ;)

And Eclipse, not at the moment but yes I'll have one. Just for a few days, though, I'm difficult when living with others ;D 8)