November 22, 2017, 07:53:26 PM

Author Topic: Smiler's Fair Chapter Twenty Eight to Epilogue  (Read 750 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
Smiler's Fair Chapter Twenty Eight to Epilogue
« on: June 04, 2017, 11:15:13 PM »
I quite like Eric strange friendship with Ril

I have to be honest this book nearly became a DNF towards the end due to Nethmi becoming a cold hearted murderer , this didn't work for me.

Olufemi got her magic back at last

Krish letting Hyo slaughter the Chun! What a disturbing scene

With the power of the moon back will the moons creatures turn beautiful?

I found the book to be fast paced read but I'm unsure if I would want to carry on the series.

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Smiler's Fair Chapter Twenty Eight to Epilogue
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 09:03:31 AM »
I found the book to be fast paced read but I'm unsure if I would want to carry on the series.
Fast paced? You read the entire book in ONE day!!!! :o

Just for information then, book 2 introduces some different characters and develops a few that were minor in book 1, and almost doesn't touch in others that were key in here.
And to be honest, I can't really remember many details from either :(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:40:21 PM »
I quite like Eric strange friendship with Rii
Yeah, that's interesting. I hope that Sun and Moon will find peace in book 3 and so will their servants.

I have to be honest this book nearly became a DNF towards the end due to Nethmi becoming a cold hearted murderer , this didn't work for me.
I wasn't considering DNF but it was strange, yeah. Wouldn't have expected her to die so fast (still had ties to Jinn, Lahiru and Sang Ki). And torturing/trying to kill Krish after she had teamed up with Jinn was strange too.

Olufemi got her magic back at last
Curious what she (and Adolfo) can do.

Krish letting Hyo slaughter the Chun! What a disturbing scene
That really was disturbing. I hope Dae Hyo's revenge is stilled.
Do you think the moon god made the Chun slaughter the Dae so that Dae Hyo was there to help Krish? Would be a bit extreme but well, gods are extreme.

With the power of the moon back will the moons creatures turn beautiful?
Beautiful? Isn't the word you are looking for sane? ;) And yes, I think so.

Already ordered the second (and the third [last?] will come out in July) because I want to know how this ends.

So Jinn is now on the Hunter's side and against Yron/Krish. Interesting.

Marvan clearly lives - when and how will we see him again?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »
I finished the book this morning.

A bit more positive after my 60% slump. I'll probably read the second one sometime since I already own it, and I'm interested to see where things go, but I can't say I loved the book.

Surely that can't have been the end of Nethmi? Her story seems a bit disconnected and pointless, if so.

I said I was struggling to see whose side I should be on, and right at the end there it looks like the moon god might be a wrong un.

It was different, at least.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:08:38 AM »
Agreed that Nethmi's plotline was odd to say the least.  She seemed the most 'good' of all the characters but ultimately becomes evil and then just dies ...

And it seems we have been following the point of view of the bad ones in this story (or are things not that black and white?)

Krish allowing Dae Hyo to murder all the Chun had echoes of the ending of Godfather. We have come to like these two and their unlikely friendship but yet we have a very uncomfortable moment when we realise just how capable of evil they are. Hyo is purely driven by revenge and Krish by power. 

And Jinn seems to have come to this realisation as well.

I would say Eric is perhaps our only pure hearted POV. He wants to protect his son and if not for his son he would happily die and not be part of any of this.

And yes. Marvan is still the loose cannon in all of this. And Sang-Ki reminds me of Tyrion and could become an unlikely hero is the series.

So who's in for Book 2?
The Real Powers That Be