November 22, 2017, 07:54:00 PM

Author Topic: War of the Usurper, Part 2, Ch. 4-6, The Outsiders  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
War of the Usurper, Part 2, Ch. 4-6, The Outsiders
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:55:04 PM »
Here is the thread to discuss part 2 of War of the Usurper
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: War of the Usurper, Part 2, Ch. 4-6, The Outsiders
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:37:30 PM »
I'm still reading, albeit only when I have time, and am very much enjoying this space opera. I just finished the chapter where Strike fought the Vozd priests. I really like the twist on the light/dark side of the force, and the powers such as fatigue and teleporting. The book continues to read like a cross between Star Wars and Warhammer 40k, which is good stuff. I'm about midway through "The Mercenary" and look forward to seeing where that goes.

Overall, I've really been enjoying the multiple perspectives, and how each individual chapter gives you the self-contained perspective of a different person on a large war. This universe is really cool and fun to read about. So overall @Eli_Freysson, even though I'm only about halfway through, I'm giving you a huge thumbs up. As mentioned in another thread, this is definitely my favorite thing you've written.

BTW, how do you pronounce "vozd"? Because it seems like a play on "void" but it almost seems like people would be saying "voz-odd". Not sure how the z and d work together.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:32:30 PM »
BTW, how do you pronounce "vozd"? Because it seems like a play on "void" but it almost seems like people would be saying "voz-odd". Not sure how the z and d work together.

Many thanks @tebakutis, for the kind words, and the best Amazon review I've ever had. I'm glad my story had such an impact. Can I interest you in giving your thoughts on the sequel before I publish it?

As for the pronunciation, I am Icelandic so I always heard it in my head as something like "vost".
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »
Many thanks @tebakutis, for the kind words, and the best Amazon review I've ever had. I'm glad my story had such an impact. Can I interest you in giving your thoughts on the sequel before I publish it?

Depends on when you plan to publish! I'm still finishing your book, and next up is Ready Player One (because I *have* to set aside time to read it), followed by an advance read I'm doing for a friend. But if you don't need feedback for a few months, I can certainly give you some thoughts. :)
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!