November 24, 2017, 11:45:54 PM

Author Topic: Game of Thrones: Season 7  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Game of Thrones: Season 7
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 10:56:47 PM »
I think my favourite part of this episode came at the end with Arya. It was kind of sweet and that's nice to see amid all the darkness that surrounds everyone and everything else. Of course I also love any scene that features Lyanna Mormont, too.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline KyleCon

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »
Yes.
According to a theory, the 13th Lord Commander of Night's Watch (A Stark) also known as the Night's king fell in love with a female white walker. They wed, and ruled for 13 long years.
It is believed that the stark decendents carried the blood of white walker and so did Lyanna stark, making Jon one half ice and as known, his father is Rhaegar, it makes him one half fire.
So he is the song of ice and fire.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 09:15:25 PM »
I finally watched it!
I love Arya, she's always the strong one 8)

It felt a bit disjointed, with a few minutes everywhere... I mean, Bran arriving at the Wall? And?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 10:42:58 PM »
I finally watched it!
I love Arya, she's always the strong one 8)

It felt a bit disjointed, with a few minutes everywhere... I mean, Bran arriving at the Wall? And?
It was a fairly typical season opener, Bea. We get a little bit of everyone, just so we know where they all are and set things up for future episodes. They do have a lot of ground to cover and only 7 episodes this season to do it in.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 09:49:08 PM »
I finally confirmed what I was almost certain: the guy playing Euron Greyjoy is a danish actor that I last saw on Borgen ;D

I liked Dany meeting Jon:
I'm queen - no I'm king - I'm best - no I'm best - my enemies are bad - my enemies are worse
 ;D
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 08:40:19 AM »
I just watched episode 3 last night. The season is starting to pick up, and a lot of the buildup over the previous seasons is really paying off in the big scheme of things. But I also like the little things, like when Missandei recites all of Danaerys' deeds to Jon and Ser Davos and they are all things that we've seen happen.

But sometimes I almost wish each character had their own series, though. There's so much going on and we rarely get to stay in the same place long enough.

Also, before every episode, I keep hoping for two things: The return of the impslap, and undead Hodor. :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:44:12 AM by Magnus Hedén »
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 10:49:01 PM »
I just watched episode 3 last night. The season is starting to pick up, and a lot of the buildup over the previous seasons is really paying off in the big scheme of things. But I also like the little things, like when Missandei recites all of Danaerys' deeds to Jon and Ser Davos and they are all things that we've seen happen.

But sometimes I almost wish each character had their own series, though. There's so much going on and we rarely get to stay in the same place long enough.

Also, before every episode, I keep hoping for two things: The return of the impslap, and undead Hodor. :D
Kristian Nairn said he gets asked about an undead Hodor about 36 times a day.

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 08:52:33 PM »
Arya and Brienne: ohmydearlord :D

*fans self*

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 06:36:34 PM »
And he's back :D

"I thought you were still rowing" ;D ;D
Such a great line for all the articles about poor Gendry..

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 10:43:52 PM »
And he's back :D

"I thought you were still rowing" ;D ;D
Such a great line for all the articles about poor Gendry..
Was great to see the return and interestingly enough there was more chemistry between he and Jon in part of one episode than there has been between Jon and Dany all season.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
I'm still loving the show, but characterisation has been severely lacking this season. They are certainly rushing from plot point to plot point, but what made the show for me, which were the three-dimensional characters, have just dissipated.

So, Gendry didn't care about his father before, but now he's all full of crap about it - and look, he *happens* to love a hammer as his weapon of choice. That just feels cartoonish.

In one episode Arya is this wise-beyond-her-years person, happy to be reunited with her sister. On the following episode she's becoming petty and judgmental, besides being made a fool by Littlefinger without realising it  ::)

Also - we want to convince Cersei about the Whitewalkers (rather than just taking her city after destroying the Lannister army), so the *only* plan that we can come up with, is going back to the North, beyond the wall, and capture a white walker that you can bring back and show to her, as if Cersei will go "I was wrong all this time, and you have made me realise my mistakes. Please, Daenerys, let me join you and help defeat this common enemy together". She blew the Holy Sept with some of her most important allies in there (the Tyrells), how can they really believe that she will be reasonable?

It's not a bad show, not at all - but the whole thing seems to have been incredibly dumbed-down this season. All the complexity to the characters' actions, the politicking that went on - it has mostly been thrown out the window for the sake of spectacular battles and moving the plot as quickly as possible  :(
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Online Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 04:40:23 AM »
I'm still loving the show, but characterisation has been severely lacking this season. They are certainly rushing from plot point to plot point, but what made the show for me, which were the three-dimensional characters, have just dissipated.

So, Gendry didn't care about his father before, but now he's all full of crap about it - and look, he *happens* to love a hammer as his weapon of choice. That just feels cartoonish.

In one episode Arya is this wise-beyond-her-years person, happy to be reunited with her sister. On the following episode she's becoming petty and judgmental, besides being made a fool by Littlefinger without realising it  ::)

Also - we want to convince Cersei about the Whitewalkers (rather than just taking her city after destroying the Lannister army), so the *only* plan that we can come up with, is going back to the North, beyond the wall, and capture a white walker that you can bring back and show to her, as if Cersei will go "I was wrong all this time, and you have made me realise my mistakes. Please, Daenerys, let me join you and help defeat this common enemy together". She blew the Holy Sept with some of her most important allies in there (the Tyrells), how can they really believe that she will be reasonable?

It's not a bad show, not at all - but the whole thing seems to have been incredibly dumbed-down this season. All the complexity to the characters' actions, the politicking that went on - it has mostly been thrown out the window for the sake of spectacular battles and moving the plot as quickly as possible  :(

I feel the same way 100%.  It's like the characters were in the way of moving from one plot point to the next so they were like "who cares? just have them do what moves the plot along" It's almost as if they hired Ryan Murphy to take over season 7 (all of his shows are like a random-ass spin the wheel and see what the character will to this episode)

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 06:45:58 AM »
I think the problem with this season is that they don't have the text to go to at all any more. What Benioff and Weiss have is an outline of what happens, but they have to fill in all the spaces to get to those points. In the pursuit of that and the fact that they only have a certain number of hours to do it all in they've sacrificed a lot of the sort of detail and character development that Martin would have put into the books in favour of getting shit done. Mind you, amidst that there are some gems. I absolutely love some of the things Tormund comes out with.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 07:49:46 AM »
I think the problem with this season is that they don't have the text to go to at all any more. What Benioff and Weiss have is an outline of what happens, but they have to fill in all the spaces to get to those points. In the pursuit of that and the fact that they only have a certain number of hours to do it all in they've sacrificed a lot of the sort of detail and character development that Martin would have put into the books in favour of getting shit done. Mind you, amidst that there are some gems. I absolutely love some of the things Tormund comes out with.

I feel this is very much the case. The plot and the character just feels way emptier. Suddenly, characters who have been shaped over several seasons as clever start making infantile decisions. I feel Arya would have seen right through Littlefinger's attempts at manipulating her, and I have no idea what the fuck this plan is with bringing a zombie back to get Cersei to co-operate. I sincerely hope Cersei kills them all for their dumbfuckery.

And all of the sudden, Westeros has shrunk, it seems. :/
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Online Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 09:02:22 AM »
Time and space became warped in the last thirty seconds of one of those finales and it never recovered.