April 26, 2018, 02:57:53 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1323693 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11565 on: March 18, 2018, 01:44:19 PM »
Agreed. In my opinion though City of Stairs is the weakest of the three books, though they still range from 7/10 to 9/10 in my appreciation.
Oh by the way, I'm gonna PM you a book I kind of want to make sure you can read, since we see eye to eye on the City trilogy.

Finishing up the prologue of Spaceborn Few and already crying.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11566 on: March 19, 2018, 01:26:40 PM »
I've just had three days in bed with a cold, so I managed quite a lot of reading:

I finished Eight Skilled Gentlemen by Barry Hughart. I thought it was the least satisfying of the Master Li and Number Ten Ox books, but still reasonably entertaining.

Then I read the whole of my next Agatha Christie - Crooked House - which was fine.

I also read both of the free Tor novellas from last month when they were trying to get people to sign up for the newsletter. Killing Gravity by Corey J White didn't really do it for me. A psychic powers space opera without any real surprises. I did enjoy Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell, though. A supermarket chain wants to build a store in the small English town of Lychford, but could be disturbing some ancient barriers.

And now I've started another BSFA winner, Brasyl by Ian McDonald. This is another of what I might call his tourist trilogy, with River of Gods covering India and The Dervish House covering Turkey. The books aren't actually related, as far as I can tell (I have read the other two), it just seemed to be McDonald's thing for a while to explore a new country from an SF perspective. So far it has three strands in three different time periods, so I'm not completely sure where it's going.

Offline Dark Squiggle

« Reply #11567 on: March 19, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »
Started A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11568 on: March 20, 2018, 12:41:53 PM »
I've started Jen Williams' The bitter twins

*grumble grumble about my memory* since I really could use a summary of what happened in the Ninth Rain...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #11569 on: March 20, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »
Started Ken Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion. Definitely not SFF and certainly outside my usual realm of reading material, but looking forward to reading what was considered experimental writing.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11570 on: March 21, 2018, 02:36:52 AM »
Just pushed through the last 1/4 of Record of a Spaceborn Few (it's 2.26am)

What a feel ride. If you thought you cried in Long Way or Closed and Common Orbit, get ready for the real tear-show... Ok, there was also a lot of humour in this book, but man it was so emotional. I think this book is Becky coming into her own as an author.
The Long Way was fantastic, even though it had some hint of being a debut, it was clearly a long-time pet project.
I felt like Closed and Common Orbit was more rushed (obviously...), and though I liked it, I didn't enjoy it as much, since there were fewer characters, and the MC had a lot of teenage worries I became a bit bored with. It was a good book, not a tremendous one.
Now Record of a Spaceborn few is tremendous. It tackles deep, worrying, super human subjects, and wades through them with emotion, compassion, and insight. The cast is fantastic and there wasn't a single character whose chapter I wanted to skip. (tbh in this book chapters are extremely short, sometimes not more than 3-4 pages)
This book made me think about everything space opera doesn't usually make you think. It's so grounded, it's a great mirror for us to gaze into right now. And so the book feels a lot more mature, and the execution is also perfect, like the author is also entirely mature now.

I have no clue where Chambers is going from now on, I'll be sure to ask if she comes to sign, but I'll be reading it, whether it's in that universe or not. She has, for me, proven herself beyond the gimmicks of a well thought world, into someone who can write incredible drama, make me laugh and make me cry, make me happy and warm hearted.

Damn but this book will sell like cookies when it comes out.

10/10 and legit don't know what to read now.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11571 on: March 23, 2018, 05:19:08 AM »
Beginning The Ninth Rain by Jen Williams on audible and finding the narrator is very good at nasty ;D
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11572 on: March 23, 2018, 08:40:26 AM »
Finished Blood Rites (Dresden files #6)

I had almost DNF'd this Dresden book for the first time ever. Glad that I didn't went through that, since it became amazing halfway through with intrigues of the White Court vampires and more revelations on Harry's past. I also love the Harry, Murphy, Kincaid teamup against the Black Court. In conclusion, I certainly enjoyed this boo more than the previous one in the Dresden files series.  8)

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11573 on: March 26, 2018, 02:42:42 AM »
The Ninth Rain is hard going for me, it is excellent but very harsh and I have to take breaks. Jen has already said The Bitter Twins is darker, so not sure I will make it through this series although I am sure they are worthwhile.  Interested to read your comments @ScarletBea.

Have begun another book to listen to in between and The First Watch by Dale Lucas fits the bill perfectly, and is the first of a series called The Fifth Ward.

Buddy cops, working as the night watch in the city of Yennara, solve mysteries with plenty of fights, humour and a mix of races and characters. Good entertainment and may become a choice for me in the 'easy to read, relax and smile style'. One of the best narrators, Simon Vance, perfect as ever.

@xiagan Did you finish The Scar? I have guilt about putting this one on hold but haven't returned there yet.
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11574 on: March 26, 2018, 07:34:23 AM »
The Ninth Rain is hard going for me, it is excellent but very harsh and I have to take breaks. Jen has already said The Bitter Twins is darker, so not sure I will make it through this series although I am sure they are worthwhile.  Interested to read your comments @ScarletBea.

Have begun another book to listen to in between and The First Watch by Dale Lucas fits the bill perfectly, and is the first of a series called The Fifth Ward.

Buddy cops, working as the night watch in the city of Yennara, solve mysteries with plenty of fights, humour and a mix of races and characters. Good entertainment and may become a choice for me in the 'easy to read, relax and smile style'. One of the best narrators, Simon Vance, perfect as ever.

@xiagan Did you finish The Scar? I have guilt about putting this one on hold but haven't returned there yet.
I liked The First Watch, reminded me of Lethal Weapon if it was set in a generic fantasy setting. You may also enjoy Jon Hollins Dragon Lords series, Lady T.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11575 on: March 26, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »

I liked The First Watch, reminded me of Lethal Weapon if it was set in a generic fantasy setting. You may also enjoy Jon Hollins Dragon Lords series, Lady T.

I can well see that it would have reminded you of those partners. Have been listening on and off all day and had many good moments and laughs. Thank you for the other recommendation, I will note for future. ;D

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #11576 on: March 26, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »
After reading some fantasies with very quick pace and action, i decided to read something more classic, and i found The Deed of Paksenarrion, by Elizabeth Moon.

It's a trilogy about a farmer girl who refuses to marry her neigbhour because her dad wants it and runs to another city to become a mercenary. Also because her cousin told a lot of stories about warriors and such and she loved them.
So she signs in and starts training, has her first battle and much more. I liked the military details, the drilling, scenario and others. It starts classical, but trouble and some events are actually pretty mature.

But this book is LONG! It says the paper version has a little over 1k pages, but it seems so much more, maybe the font is very small, because on Kindle it says "Page 825" and i'm 39% done. I'm in Chapter 8 of the 2nd book.
I checked the individual volumes and the total goes to about 1500 pages, which seems about right.

Also there is a lot of cities, they travel a lot and there is so many names sometimes can be a bit confusing. Sometimes there is also lots of infodumps about the world culture disguised as conversations and worse when nothing about that is seen or happens.
There is also magic and potions that heal you, cause major illusions, shapeshifts, and all, but so far it's very rare, but it raises questions "Well, if they used X there, why didn't..."
There is also orcs, elfs, dwarfs, goblins, evil gods and etc, but they only made very brief appearances to speak about them.
It also features the "You are the Chosen One Just Cuz" (at least so far). Worse that it's from a deity she doesn't know and even doesn't care. But at least she makes smart questions about it, why not the other who choose the deity, etc.
Also it's different with a female mercenary soldier, altough so far she is being pretty much "man with boobs".

It was written in the 80s, and it will show, specially if you been reading a lot of fantasy from modern authors, but i'm enjoying, it feels very classic and i wanted a change of pace and style.

I found Deeds to be disappointing it suffers from too much traveling a bit like Robin Hobb ,it was a big let down for me after all the glowing reviews it had. I just read the first book didn’t bother with the others @Lanko
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11577 on: March 26, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »
^ I still have that one unread at home, after I asked @Peat to give it to me when he was cleaning up, hehe
I keep hearing conflicting reviews, so I end up reading other books first...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Dark Squiggle

« Reply #11578 on: March 26, 2018, 03:54:46 PM »
Reading some Robert A. Heinlein. Time Enough for Love was great if a little weird, DNF'd Sail into the Sunset because it seemed to be just a lot of sex and not very much story, and I'm working my way through Stranger in a Strange Land. I may be evil for feeling this, but while I love Heinlein as a writer, I don't think I like him as a person or agree with his ideas. He seems to think every relationship must be sexual, and that platonic, or even primarily romantic relationships are somehow 'lies'. He loves war and killing, even going so far as to say that a male not soaked in blood is a useless coward. I really liked the idea of
Spoiler for Hiden:
Lazarus having identical female twins made of himself.
If I ever become fabulously rich in a high tech world I will definitely do that. And I also liked the computers.
Spoiler for Hiden:
AIs that are people and want to be "real people" just like Pinocchio. I don't get why they want that, or why they are all female, but whatever.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #11579 on: March 26, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »
After reading some fantasies with very quick pace and action, i decided to read something more classic, and i found The Deed of Paksenarrion, by Elizabeth Moon.

It's a trilogy about a farmer girl who refuses to marry her neigbhour because her dad wants it and runs to another city to become a mercenary. Also because her cousin told a lot of stories about warriors and such and she loved them.
So she signs in and starts training, has her first battle and much more. I liked the military details, the drilling, scenario and others. It starts classical, but trouble and some events are actually pretty mature.

But this book is LONG! It says the paper version has a little over 1k pages, but it seems so much more, maybe the font is very small, because on Kindle it says "Page 825" and i'm 39% done. I'm in Chapter 8 of the 2nd book.
I checked the individual volumes and the total goes to about 1500 pages, which seems about right.

Also there is a lot of cities, they travel a lot and there is so many names sometimes can be a bit confusing. Sometimes there is also lots of infodumps about the world culture disguised as conversations and worse when nothing about that is seen or happens.
There is also magic and potions that heal you, cause major illusions, shapeshifts, and all, but so far it's very rare, but it raises questions "Well, if they used X there, why didn't..."
There is also orcs, elfs, dwarfs, goblins, evil gods and etc, but they only made very brief appearances to speak about them.
It also features the "You are the Chosen One Just Cuz" (at least so far). Worse that it's from a deity she doesn't know and even doesn't care. But at least she makes smart questions about it, why not the other who choose the deity, etc.
Also it's different with a female mercenary soldier, altough so far she is being pretty much "man with boobs".

It was written in the 80s, and it will show, specially if you been reading a lot of fantasy from modern authors, but i'm enjoying, it feels very classic and i wanted a change of pace and style.

I found Deeds to be disappointing it suffers from too much traveling a bit like Robin Hobb ,it was a big let down for me after all the glowing reviews it had. I just read the first book didn’t bother with the others @Lanko

I read the first book and liked it, but I haven't felt in any kind of rush to pick up the rest of the trilogy. My TBR has gotten to the point that I can't really dedicate much time to series I've liked but not loved.