January 17, 2018, 08:15:38 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1182566 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11385 on: January 07, 2018, 09:08:42 PM »
Finished Court of Broken Knives by Anna Spark Smith. This book feels far too accomplished to be a debut. The writing is scarily precise and very descriptive and requires some thought. I still am not sure how I feel about what I read, perspective changed from very grim with some hope to extremely dark. I would definitely  recommend giving it a read though.
I had it on my radar but grim -> extremely dark is nothing I'm interested in right now.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #11386 on: January 07, 2018, 11:34:47 PM »

It's a solid sanderson book. Boring at the start, and confusing as well, there is just so much to remember and I'd forgotter... But it picked up and the last third is probably the best.
I just don't like Shallan. Spent way too much time with her unrealistically angsty self... Dalinar was okay to spend so much time with though I skimmed through a few of his bloodbaths battle memories. Sometimes you don't need to spend four pages on a shardblade duel that can be summed up by "I turned the other guy into mincemeat".
It's an enjoyable series despite everything.

I am currently struggling with this one. I just can't seem to get into it and I loved the first two. I am maybe 25% in...

Oh and Thrawn was amazing.

I am reading The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter. Same excellent quality from Sullivan that Ive come to expect.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11387 on: January 08, 2018, 08:43:16 AM »
@Nora The 'I turned the other guy into mincemeat' part does sounds interesting. I'll just need to finish Codex alera, Red Queen's War, and I probably could start ordering Oathbringer in!  :D

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: January 08, 2018, 09:19:44 AM »
You should persevere. For me I think it really became catchy and hard to read anything in parallel at the 50% mark. Before that I happily read stuff on the side. Action really hits the fan at the end, and the last 20% are a mental showdown.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Hedin

« Reply #11389 on: January 08, 2018, 05:43:51 PM »

It's a solid sanderson book. Boring at the start, and confusing as well, there is just so much to remember and I'd forgotter... But it picked up and the last third is probably the best.
I just don't like Shallan. Spent way too much time with her unrealistically angsty self... Dalinar was okay to spend so much time with though I skimmed through a few of his bloodbaths battle memories. Sometimes you don't need to spend four pages on a shardblade duel that can be summed up by "I turned the other guy into mincemeat".
It's an enjoyable series despite everything.

I am currently struggling with this one. I just can't seem to get into it and I loved the first two. I am maybe 25% in...

I struggled as well, some due to the book and some due to other things.  I wish I could have read one of the first two for the first time at this point in my life to see if they felt any different or if it was just Oathbringer that was kind of meh for me.  This was the 2nd Sanderson book in a row that I didn't love (was not a big fan of Bands of Mourning) which makes me wonder if his writing has changed or my tastes have just a little bit.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11390 on: January 10, 2018, 08:58:45 AM »
I'm 74% through my electronic copy of Fire and Fury, and it remains a darkly riveting read. This Michael Wolff fellow is a good writer, and he sure does cast fresh light on the nature of the White House freak show. Most notably the firm assertion that Trump never actually intended to win.

"Sean Spicer caught the brunt of the daily drama, turning this otherwise reasonable, mild-mannered, process-oriented professional into a joke figure standing at the White House door. In his daily out-of-body experience, as a witness to his own humiliation and loss for words, Spicer understood after a while - although he began to understand this beginning his first day on the job when dealing with the dispute about the inaugural audience numbers - that he had "gone down a rabbit hole". In this disorienting place, all public artifice, pretense, proportion, savvy, and self-awareness had been cast off, or - possibly another result of Trump never really intending to be president - never really figured into the state of being president.

For people who can stomach more information about the Trump clan, I recommend reading this thing.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11391 on: January 10, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »
I've finished Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4). It's a decent book, but certainly below the standards of others in this series (especially compared to book 2 and 3). The pace and excitement picked up at the end, though. Now moving on towards Princep's Fury (Codex Alera #5)!

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11392 on: January 10, 2018, 12:23:25 PM »
I'll now start N.K. Jemisin's Killing moon, from her Dreamblood duology (these were my missing ones from her).
Nothing this woman writes is bad, I'm enjoying this book so much! I'm glad I'd already bought book 2, I can read the series in one go ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11393 on: January 10, 2018, 12:44:21 PM »
I finished Orbital Resonance. It was pretty short, and very enjoyable. I don't know if it is actually aimed at a younger audience, but it's the story of a 12-year-old girl who has grown up on a space station/ship (it's a hollowed-out asteroid which is intended to work as a cargo transport between Earth and Mars). It's written as though it's an introduction for outsiders to the ship's culture.

Next is last year's Morningstar winner, Steal the Sky by Megan E O'Keefe, which I'm planning to be my Steampunk book for the Reddit Bingo. I've only read the first few pages, but it looks like it's more fantasy-steampunk (ie. not really steampunk, like the Ketty Jay series) than SF-steampunk.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #11394 on: January 10, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »

Just finished it a day ago, and I can echo these points. Thrawn was really good! It also greatly fleshes out a character who appears on Star Wars: Rebels (and oh, do I hate her *more* now). All in all, a great book.

I'm 74% through my electronic copy of Fire and Fury, and it remains a darkly riveting read. This Michael Wolff fellow is a good writer, and he sure does cast fresh light on the nature of the White House freak show. Most notably the firm assertion that Trump never actually intended to win.

For people who can stomach more information about the Trump clan, I recommend reading this thing.

I finished it on the plane back from California. Riveting, as you say, and infuriating, as I mentioned (if you're an American). I'd say more if this was a politics thread, but since it isn't, I'll just say it confirms my worst suspicions. Frustrating as hell.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #11395 on: January 11, 2018, 01:46:39 AM »

Just finished it a day ago, and I can echo these points. Thrawn was really good! It also greatly fleshes out a character who appears on Star Wars: Rebels (and oh, do I hate her *more* now). All in all, a great book.

I would also recommend A New Dawn of you want more rebels characters. Its set a few years before the first episode.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #11396 on: January 13, 2018, 04:08:26 AM »
Finished a collection of three novellas, Shaper of Water, by D.K. Holmberg. His fantasy is very much classic fantasy. There are plenty of tropes, but that makes it a fun read when I'm in the right mood. Good pacing, but the stories are not the most complex out there.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11397 on: January 14, 2018, 09:40:26 AM »
Started Kings of the Wyld. The beginning is superb but it seems to be slipping a little at the moment. I really hope it picks up as I really want to like this book lots.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11398 on: January 14, 2018, 02:12:20 PM »
I wasn't really enjoying the start of Steal the Sky - our charming rogue didn't seem all that charming - but I wanted to finish it for a couple of reasons, so I decided to brute-force my way through it yesterday. In the end I thought it was moderately entertaining, but I don't think I'll be reading the sequels. I hope it isn't really the best of last year's Morningstar nominees, since I'm intending to read the rest of the shortlist at some point.

Anyway, I've moved on to the new Marko Kloos, Points of Impact, book 6 in his Frontlines military SF series, and a brand new 2018 release. I don't expect it to hold me up for long.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11399 on: January 15, 2018, 03:44:03 PM »
The shadowed sun, by N.K. Jemisin, book 2 of the Dreamblood series  :)
I think I need to write to her, tell her how much I love her books, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)