January 20, 2018, 10:52:30 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1185260 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11370 on: January 03, 2018, 10:30:12 PM »
Have begun audible of  The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter by Michael J Sullivan,  book 4 in Riyria Chronicles, so a story of Royce and Hadrian in early days of their partnership. Absolute joy to hear the two of them interacting and reminded what an innocent kind young man Hadrian is, but good Royce around to keep an eye on him.
These books will always be among my top favorite series.
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #11371 on: January 04, 2018, 03:58:43 AM »
Have begun audible of  The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter by Michael J Sullivan,  book 4 in Riyria Chronicles, so a story of Royce and Hadrian in early days of their partnership. Absolute joy to hear the two of them interacting and reminded what an innocent kind young man Hadrian is, but good Royce around to keep an eye on him.
These books will always be among my top favorite series.

what do you like most about them?

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #11372 on: January 04, 2018, 04:03:26 AM »
reading the first two back-to-back.  By the time I'm done with the first two...I want to move onto another story.
:o I could never do that!!!
I love reading full series back-to-back...

(everyone's soooo different ;D)

I used to be like that-- I *HAD* to finish a book, no matter how bad it was or disinterested I became in it.  I had to finish series all the time.  AMOL was like the only book/series I ever actually couldn't finish (not counting a few that I just made it a couple of pages in and realized I didn't want to get sucked into, usually errr by the same author).

I think it was this year that at some point something in me snapped where I just... idk.  Now I'm a-okay with stopping, not finishing and waiting.  Now I'm like "I really don't have time to finish this book, I'm going to skip to the end to see what happens so I can put it away."  I know that probably makes me an awful person, but it's like in my old age I've gotten prudish and I'm saving myself for those books I do want to be absorbed in, and those stories written by friends.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11373 on: January 04, 2018, 08:28:19 AM »
I'm still stuck at the fourth book of Codex Alera, and truth be told, it's the dullest one in the series so far. There were some interesting parts, but the rest could be pretty dull (especially Bernard and Amara's story in this book, ugh)  :P

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11374 on: January 04, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
There are too many really enjoyable books out there to slog through something you are not enjoying. If you slog through that then you could have been reading one of those. Too many books and not enough time.
The Traitor God, published by Angry Robot June 2018

http://www.cameronjohnston.net/

Offline Roelor

« Reply #11375 on: January 04, 2018, 02:24:27 PM »
I started reading The name of the Wind 2 days ago. Now on page 390 and will finish it tonight. I was told it was good, but sometimes I'm headstrong and simply feel like not reading something.. I feel sad I waited so long to start, cause I'm ripping through the book like a warm knife through butter

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #11376 on: January 06, 2018, 02:08:33 AM »
I'm ripping through the book like a warm knife through butter

Book 2 is worth reading, too. And then you've got a 5 or 6 year wait for Book 3. He said in an interview that he does about 80 drafts or something.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11377 on: January 06, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
Yesterday I bought Michael Wolff's Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House. There really is no greater boost for a book's sales than trying to ban it, and I felt I had to take a look at this thing. I'm only 7% through my Kindle copy, and it's already proving... fascinating.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Peat

« Reply #11378 on: January 06, 2018, 10:59:19 AM »
Got a long way through First Watch by Dale Lucas before deciding there was nothing good about it at all.

Now sifting through kindle samples in the hope of finding something that looks awesome, mainly based off recommendations from various places

So Bear's Eternal Sky looks like a possible winner. Was disappointed to see that Rivera's The Tiger's Daughter was in present tense. Brassey's Skyfarer might be an option too but a bit too crudely constructed for my tastes at present.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DaniMcDani

« Reply #11379 on: January 07, 2018, 12:49:15 AM »
So...I don't visit this forum too often.  Where do I go to geek out over Oathbringer?  I gotta say, I am so glad I kept reading this series.  The first book was kinda tedious, and I almost gave up many times.  But the second book finally took off like a shot in the middle.  And the third -- just, wow.  What a difference.  You can see how much Sanderson's writing has improved in book three.  He's more concise, less earnest, more humorous, develops characters better, and uses better cliff hangers at the end of every chapter.  I am having an absolute blast and did not expect that.  I also kind of need a break from all the violent, traumatic books I've been reading (koff Mark Lawrence koff)  Oathbringer is oddly entertaining for a G-rating kind of book. And it doesn't give me nightmares when I read it before bed.  ha.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11380 on: January 07, 2018, 10:03:01 AM »
@DaniMcDani , you can create a separate thread about Oathbringer :)
(just click on "New Topic" at the top os the screen, inside this section)

I haven't read it yet, but I know others here have, and you can all geek out over it ;D
I'll join you later (I'm afraid 'much later', since I haven't read book 2 yet...)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11381 on: January 07, 2018, 03:12:19 PM »
OMG, I finally finished Oathbringer. Of course I read several other books along, some, like Thrawn, were unputdownable, others I read on and off with Oathbringer like We have always lived in the castle and Why We Sleep.

It's a solid sanderson book. Boring at the start, and confusing as well, there is just so much to remember and I'd forgotter... But it picked up and the last third is probably the best.
I just don't like Shallan. Spent way too much time with her unrealistically angsty self... Dalinar was okay to spend so much time with though I skimmed through a few of his bloodbaths battle memories. Sometimes you don't need to spend four pages on a shardblade duel that can be summed up by "I turned the other guy into mincemeat".
It's an enjoyable series despite everything.

Now starting on The Song of Achilles.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11382 on: January 07, 2018, 03:52:09 PM »
The Hollow Crown by Dan Jones.  About the war of the roses. Very interesting.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11383 on: January 07, 2018, 06:31:32 PM »
I finished The Half Killed by Quenby Olson yesterday. I enjoyed it. I'm not sure I'd call it fantasy, but then it's not exactly horror, either. It's about a medium in Victorian London.

This morning, I started Orbital Resonance by John Barnes, which is going to represent 1991 in my chronological SF challenge. I thought it might be a re-read, since I had a bit of a Barnes phase in the 90s, after reading the brilliant Million Open Doors, but it's not seeming very familiar so far.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11384 on: January 07, 2018, 06:37:52 PM »
Finished Court of Broken Knives by Anna Spark Smith. This book feels far too accomplished to be a debut. The writing is scarily precise and very descriptive and requires some thought. I still am not sure how I feel about what I read, perspective changed from very grim with some hope to extremely dark. I would definitely  recommend giving it a read though.